Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: For Thought and Meditation - Wednesday, September 27

For Thought and Meditation - Wednesday, September 27

Good morning all. I'm just putting this out there. Something to think about. Have a safe and blessed day.

No Compromise
    by Greg Laurie on Sep 27, 2023

For a time is coming when people will no longer listen to sound and wholesome teaching. They will follow their own desires and will look for teachers who will tell them whatever their itching ears want to hear.
    —2 Timothy 4:3

There was a time when we were bombarded by a one-sided view of God as an angry deity, ready to throw people into the open fires of Hell. People complained about too much hellfire-and-brimstone preaching.

But when was the last time anyone has heard a hellfire-and-brimstone message? Sadly, the sermon “Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God” that Jonathan Edwards preached in 1741 would not be allowed in many churches today.

Many people have gone too far in the other direction, teaching that God is an all-loving, benign, supreme being that doesn’t seem to have any opinions about the way we live. The assumption is that as long as we’re true to ourselves, then it’s okay with Him. He accepts us the way we are.

We like the qualities of God such as love, forgiveness, and compassion and the incredible fringe benefit of eternal life in Heaven. On the other hand, we’re appalled by a God of holiness who desperately loves us yet requires repentance as well as trust, a God who promises to judge those who refuse to come to Him on His terms.

Others look at God as some kind of pagan deity who simply needs to be appeased. They think that if they go through religious rituals, they’ve done their part and they can build up credit for sinning that week. People can follow that god as much as they want. But that is not the God of the Bible.

When we start picking and choosing the things about God that appeal or do not appeal to us, we are not only diminishing our view of who God is but also believing and teaching a false gospel.

Some preachers today offer weak, watered-down proclamations in the name of the gospel. They tell you to believe, but they don’t tell you to repent. They tell you there’s a Heaven, but they don’t tell you there’s a Hell. And they tell you there’s forgiveness, but they don’t tell you there’s repentance.

If we don’t include those things, then it isn’t the gospel. We cannot edit the gospel according to what we like or don’t like. It’s for us to share it as God gave it. Otherwise, we strip the gospel of its power and effectiveness.

We cannot control what happens in the world. But at the same time, we cannot allow the belief system of a secular society to influence the way we believe. The idea is not to conform ourselves to the world’s way of thinking. It is not to bend the Bible to the culture.

When we desperately want to please everyone and not offend anyone, we will fail to make an impact on our culture.

When we start tampering with the essentials of our faith such as the Bible, the gospel, and the nature of God Himself, we are making God into a different image.

The God of the Bible does love us and accept us as we are. But the God of the Bible also wants to change us. He wants to conform us into the image of Jesus Christ.
    Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe, in order to assure the survival and the success of liberty.

Boolit Master
    Good message, history repeats if we do not learn from it.

Isaiah 30:10

New American Standard Bible
    Who say to the seers, “You must not see visions”; And to the prophets, “You must not prophesy the truth to us. Speak to us pleasant words, Prophesy illusions.

Brenton Septuagint Translation
    who say to the prophets, Report not to us; and to them that see visions, Speak them not to us, but speak and report to us another error;

Boolit Master

Amen, this is a great message that describes the church today.

Boolit Grand Master

"Sinners in the hands of an angry God" wasn't accepted then, either. Johnathan Edwards was fired from the Church after delivering it.

I agree and have long said that without a solid theology of sin there is no need for salvation. If I cannot see myself as a sinner deserving damnation then sin is no worse than a bad cold. It is when I see myself as God sees me, hopelessly and helplessly entangled in sin unable to escape, that I recognize my need for salvation.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!