Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRepackbox
Titan Reloading RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 300 h&h

To answer your question about heavier bullets I would first ask if we are still speaking of cast bullets. If so I may investigate farther in the future as time allows. I have tried enough jacketed bullets at magnum speeds to know my arthritic shoulders won't tolerate much of that. 15 years ago I probably would be more curious about them but that ship has sailed for several reasons. I basically chambered this in 300H&H to not have to deal with 30/06. Just a personal deal that I expect few to understand. Since I retired I undertake many projects just for kicks and giggles and the challenge of doing projects for fun and doing it on a shoestring so to speak.
    I make things and I know stuff

Boolit Master
    Well, it sounds like you and I are in the same boat. My heavy boolit is a 200 gr Lee right now but for a few bucks I was thinking of getting the heavy 30 cal sub sonic molds. Speed is very low on my list also.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master
    I had the same thought when I bought a take off Savage barrel in '06. The seller stated it was a 24" but when it arrived it was just a 22" which I already have. It was not expensive so I not in the mood to throw a fit. But I was not going to waste a rechamber on the shorter barrel to a cartridge such as a 300 -H&H.

I still dream about the cartridge but have gotten rifles in 300 Win Mag and 300 RUM in Rem 700s so it sort of gets pushed back.

I was not looking to cast for any of the 30 caliber magnums though in ernest though.

I do have an unfired surplus barrel for a Savage 110 from Numrich Arms in 375 h&h and my 300 brass might go there to bolster my 375 brass. I would definitely cast for that baby!

My best casting to date in rifle has been in the 338-06, a Savage 110 set up that eats j words and cast with equal aplumb!

But I have yet to really work the 30s real diligently either so that's on me.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

I have the 700 classic in 300h&h. Found it in the corner of a shop and couldn't pass it up. Haven't shot cast out of it. Only have shot cast out of 35cal and bigger rifles. But a healthy load of slow powder behind a 212 gr ELD has kept me smiling on the bench and in the stand. Couple deer and a black bear so far with it.

Like said previously it's got enough without being obnoxious, and the potentially "inefficient" sloped shoulders are so pretty.

Boolit Master

I haven`t loaded cast for a 300 H&H but have loaded cast in my 300 Weatherby MK5.
    I used 23gr 2400 with 1 gr of Dacron behind a 311291.
    It shot quite well.
    This load should be good for your 300 H&H.