Load DataSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Repackbox
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comparing Lee 4 Hole Presses

Vendor Sponsor

Comparing Lee 4 Hole Presses

I am thinking about getting a cheap Lee 4 hole press, the classic red base is cast iron, $148 and the value turret press is $106 at Titan.

Any appreciable differences in cast iron base vs. cast aluminum other than $40? I know the iron is stronger and will last longer but for loading stuff like 300BO and 45 Colt/45Schofield where I typically pull the charged case and weigh each charge, I don't need anything progressive, what's your thoughts on the value line press?
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I don't have either, but I'll throw out some personal observations based on other Lee presses that use the same parts as the ones you mentioned above. One thing I noticed between the Lee pro 4k & the Pro 6k was the difference in rigidity of the pro 6k, it was much more noticeable than the pro 4k, the pro 4k's linkages have a observable flex during the operation of the ram, that is absent of the pro 6k.
    I know they are different presses, just that the part I mentioned are analogous for comparison.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Vendor Sponsor

I think I overlooked the position of the vertical stanchions that hold the upper frame, the cast iron press has them in the typical arrangement that leaves the left side of the press accessible for access to the ram, and the cast aluminum base has the 3 stanchions in a triangular fashion that blocks access from both sides except from the front. I would not be happy with that arrangement.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

I have the Classic Cast 4-hole turret. I use it as a single stage. I started with this press and still use it for 9mm and .223. There is some movement in the 4-hole disc but, it is manageable. I like to use my case activated Lee disc powder measure with that Press. I also have a Forster Co-ax press that gets most of my rifle loading. I recently purchased a used Dillion SDB for my pistol reloading. Right now I am deciding if I really need the Classic Cast Turret? hc18flyer

Boolit Master

Broke my aluminum 4-hole (might’ve been too much torque on anchor bolts based on crack propagation) but Lee replaced it (shipping on my dime though).
    Still got it but seldom use it.
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Go for the Classic Cast model. It sure feels a lot more solid than my old three hole aluminum model. If I had to go back to having only one press, I probably would keep the Classic. There is slight play in the tool head, but it’s very repeatable.

Just my nickel….…

Sam Sackett

Boolit Buddy
    The new value press base is steel not aluminum.There’s plenty of room to get at the shell holder. I only load handgun cases on mine. I used the Deluxe for forty years the Value is a better built press If I loaded rifle on it I might have bought the Classic Cast but for handgun the Value works fine.

Boolit Buddy

The Classic Cast Turret press has served me well for a lot of years and many thousands of rifle and pistol rounds. It is very durable and is very versatile. Highly recommended, IMHO.

Boolit Bub
    The Lee Classic Cast was my first press. I then got a Hornady LnL and believed I didn't need the Turret press any longer. One of the biggest mistakes I've ever made in reloading!

I was gifted a Dillon Square Deal B. Absolutely loved it. I then sold the Hornady. After several years, I got out of reloading. Sold everything.

The reloading bug came back last year. I was going to load only .38 Special and .357. i bought a Lee Challenger press and a set of .38 Special dies. After several months on the Challenger, I ran across a terrific deal on a Lee Six Pack Pro, with 9mm set-up. Then I bought a .45 ACP shell plate and a set of Lee dies. Then a set of .357 dies, so I didn't have to re-adjust the .38 Special dies. Of course primers and powder. I still had some brass. Stating all this to say I still miss the Lee Classic Turret. It was so versatile. And reliable. It could do everything the Challenger it does. And easier and faster.

I don't have any experience with the value turret, so I have no comment concerning it.

USMC 77, USRA 79

I been using my classic cast turret forever… love it… and manage to shortcomings… I am used to it.
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Lee classic here. I took it as part of trade, my good fortune I guess. I haven't it long but after setting up 38, 357, 44, 45 acp and 45 colt shell plates, I wondered why it took me so long the get one in spite of liking to manually turning this one.
    Sorry, I have no experience on the other being considered.
    "My two most favorite people are Navy Corpsmen and Marine medivac helicopter pilots" - MEJ 1967.

"Pick up a rifle and you change instantly from a subject to a citizen." Col Jeff Cooper, USMC.

I like the classic 4-hole, it was my first, no telling at the ammo that's been loaded on that thing.
    I do have a single stage Lee also, but the majority of my loading is done on the turret.
    I have like 17 or 18 turrets with dies setup, so changing from one cal. to another is quick.

RP

Monte Walsh "You have No idea how little I care".

Moderator Emeritus

I think the main difference, is the value press has a smaller Ram, and the steel base of the value press has considerable less contact with the ram, so there is less support. I imagine it's not really an issue, until Bubba starts abusing the press, LOL.
    I was so happy with my first Classic cast Turret press in 2006, when I've needed a replacement or whatever, it was an easy decision to buy the same one again for the extra $40.
    Fun Fact, I did recently buy one and a fist full of turret disks, after the current shortages subsided in the last year, just as a backup or for spare parts, since Lee has a habit of retiring good products and no longer supporting them. I'll just keep it un-used, in the box, for now.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

I still think Lee should offer a 4-hole turret head that is compatible with their breech lock heads. If nothing else that would alone sell them more presses.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Buddy

Boolit Master
    The Lee Classic turret is a great piece of kit for the money, IMHO the best value press on the market

ukrifleman

Boolit Master
    I got my son a 4 hole classic, if I need another it will be the same.
    Look twice, shoot once.

Boolit Master

I had the Classic cast and it worked fine. I got tired of pulling the lever 4 times for a loaded round and bought the Lee progressive. I didn't like the priming set up, so I kinda used it like a turret and would do two steps at once. All and all it's not a bad press.

I have the older Value 4-hole turret model, and it took alot of tweaking and modding to get it to perform satisfactorily. The biggest hassel is the way the Value model handles spent primers. It works well enough, but if I were to do it over again, I'd get the Classic model and skip all the shortcomings.
    I am a natural-born Texican. – Crazy Cora, when Matthew Quigley asked if she can shoot.
    μολὼν λαβέ NRA Life Member

Boolit Buddy
    I recently started using the Lee Classic and really like it. Not everyone can afford ( or needs ) a $2000 progressive press setup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast