Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Load Data Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lee scoops- older sets

Boolit Master

Lee scoops- older sets

OK now i'm intrigued, I own a set of yellow Lee scoops. I have seen pix of black scoops around and now today i saw a red set. I do get that there may be an age difference to the sets and the slide chart may show different powders as they came and went, but....

Is there a difference in the scoops or are the colors arbitrary and they are all the same scoop sizes?

I see pix but none are clear enough to read the measurements.

black was first issue, with red being second - they are different calibrations - i have both red + yellow + they fill most all of my measuring requirements - they can be very accurate if used properly -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

There was cubic centimeter and cubic inch I believe. Which was what I'd have to dig out a red, black and yellow to verify which was what.

Boolit Master

Actually aluminum scoops were the first issue. I have several sets of them. Lee scoops register by volumn, maybe. The plastics I never fooled with. james

Boolit Mold
    I have a set of the red ones and the yellow ones. I found this chart on here years ago (sorry - don't know who to give credit to) with the "old" being the red ones and the "new" being the yellow ones.

I love them - use them for reloading handgun, rifle, and shotgun.

Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    Actually aluminum scoops were the first issue. I have several sets of them. Lee scoops register by volumn, maybe. The plastics I never fooled with. james
    never seen or heard of them - picture please -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

as they say in latin

Boolit Grand Master
    I have all three colored plastic sets… they are slightly different, and can used to get “pretty close” to any charge you want. I have seen individual metal dippers in various very early sets, but I was unaware that they were ever available as a complete sets. To be honest though, I seldom use any of them, preferring to use Bair/Pacific, TCBS, or Lyman measures that utilize fixed cavity rotors, especially for loading batches of over 50 or 100 rounds.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    I have more than a couple set.. I generally ignore the "Chart" for various powders...and simply weigh a Few to get where I want to be...Then Go... I use them every time I go into the loading room!!

Boolit Master

Here you go, 45acp and 30-30. I don,t believe Lee made them except 1963. I have a set for every rifle or pistol or revolver I have. James. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D5A11744-9796-410C-8DBC-405BAEB1C33A.jpeg 
Views:	49 
Size:	104.7 KB 
ID:	318329

Boolit Master
    I have a full set of the Red Scoops. Not sure when they are from, but they are definitely older. And in my experience are not accurate on charge weights according to the built in lookup card. With most scoops being a bit light for a given powder charge. I can take a picture when I get home. It comes in a long square cardboard box with a bunch of scoops and slide card lookup table.
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Master
    Actually, I just found a picture of the old scoops online.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	s-l640.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	318330
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by wasa View Post
    I have a set of the red ones and the yellow ones. I found this chart on here years ago (sorry - don't know who to give credit to) with the "old" being the red ones and the "new" being the yellow ones.

I love them - use them for reloading handgun, rifle, and shotgun.

Think i see it, a yellow and red set will get you most everything- Need some industrious feller with all the sets to fill in the blanks on where the black set falls in

Think the two other sets (black and red) are now in my hit list right behind the cardboard dots for RCBS die sets

Quote Originally Posted by TNsailorman View Post
    Here you go, 45acp and 30-30. I don,t believe Lee made them except 1963. I have a set for every rifle or pistol or revolver I have. James. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D5A11744-9796-410C-8DBC-405BAEB1C33A.jpeg 
Views:	49 
Size:	104.7 KB 
ID:	318329
    i have some also, i do not think that lee ever made them available in measuring sets, like the black, red, + yellow -

as they say in latin

Boolit Master

You are right about them not being made with a volume/cc measurement. They were marked as M, X, or some other marking such as the 410 and were only intended for the powder and weight listed on the data card. I have never seen a listing that tells you the internal capacity of the older metal scoops. The later plastic scoops are more usable for the reason they are marked in volume or cc weights and therefore cover many powders and not just specific powder as listed on the metal scoops. I do have a black plastic set that I use also. my take anyway, james

Quote Originally Posted by metricmonkeywrench View Post
    Think i see it, a yellow and red set will get you most everything- Need some industrious feller with all the sets to fill in the blanks on where the black set falls in

Think the two other sets (black and red) are now in my hit list right behind the cardboard dots for RCBS die sets
    That is a nice graphic to print out for quick use in the box, do you have one with all 3 versions, Red, Black & Yellow?
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Master
    My post with the table was a reply to wasa and it looks like he got at least the initial chart here:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...powder-dippers

More info Here
    https://support.leeprecision.net/en/...powder-dippers

I don't have any info in the sizes that were in the black kit, that darn work thing keeps getting in the way of the good stuff. Perhaps someone has a full black kit and can post the contents.

Definitely in the way back machine zone for old posts....

Boolit Buddy
    This also seems to indicate that the red/black dippers were the same

https://www.lee-loader.com/viewtopic.php?t=2063

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Banned
    has any of you guys with fancy digital powder measures TRIED to verify the accuracy of ANY version of these lee dippers?

I honestly believe that the person coming up with the charge table doesnt know how to count.

Boolit Grand Master

https://support.leeprecision.net/en/...powder-dippers
    The red or black powder dippers were made by Lee Custom Engineering. Lee Custom Engineering went out of business in 1988. For the whole story, read Richard Lee's article in Handloaders Digest, 17 th. ed. Lee Precision does not have service parts for those tools. The old red or black powder dippers were measured in Cubic Inches. To convert the old dippers to the new yellow dippers measured in Cubic Centimeters, you would have to use this conversion equation is as follows, or purchase new. http://leeprecision.com/powder-measure-kit.html

To convert Cubic Inches to Centimeters use this formula:

Cubic Inches x 16.387 = Cubic Centimeters
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy
    Some of the black ones are also pretty big. I have a few ranging from .290 cu in to .579 cu in, which hold from 69.8g to 139.5g of black powder, or 1oz to 2oz of shot.

In comparison, the largest yellow one I have is 4.3cc, which equals .262 cu in and holds 63.2g of black powder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast