Load DataRepackboxRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee scoops- older sets

Boolit Grand Master
    I have a complete set of yellow Lee powder dippers, and have given up on finding a complete set of red ones. The only black ones I can remember seeing where meant to measure shot in the Lee Loaders from the mid seventies.

I did have a 12 ga Lee Loader that had an adjustable aluminum shot measure for a short time, but I never used it.

Anymore, I make my own dippers from a fired cartridge case with a soldered on handle. I use a case trimmer to adjust the volume until it throws what I want with my technique.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Mk42gunner View Post
    I have a complete set of yellow Lee powder dippers, and have given up on finding a complete set of red ones. The only black ones I can remember seeing where meant to measure shot in the Lee Loaders from the mid seventies.

I did have a 12 ga Lee Loader that had an adjustable aluminum shot measure for a short time, but I never used it.

Anymore, I make my own dippers from a fired cartridge case with a soldered on handle. I use a case trimmer to adjust the volume until it throws what I want with my technique.

Robert
    The reds aren't too hard to find - I just used my set yesterday... I see them pop up on eBay fairly often. The blacks are the ones I never see....
    Currently looking for a Lyman/Ideal 311419 Mold - PM if you have one you'd like to get rid of!

JDGabbard's Feedback Thread

"A hand on a gun is better than a cop on the phone," Jerry Ellis, Oklahoma State House of Representatives.

The neighbors refer to me affectionately as, "The nut up on the ridge with the cannon." - MaxHeadSpace.

Jdgabbard's very own boolit boxes pattern!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jdgabbard View Post
    The reds aren't too hard to find - I just used my set yesterday... I see them pop up on eBay fairly often. The blacks are the ones I never see....
    If I happen to see a set some where at what I think is a decent price, they will more than likely come home with me. I just hate to pay more in shipping than what the merchandise costs.

Two specific loads that Lee dippers didn't work for me were 16 grains of 2400, and 2.5 grains of Red Dot.

Robert

Boolit Master
    I have all three of the sets. Pretty much cover any charge I need. Always weigh the charge. The dippers seen to be light on the rated weight of dipped charge.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

I have a set of red ones and a set of yellow ones. Unless I’m loading more than 50 rounds, that’s what I use if the load is listed.
    And I have a few home made scoops too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I have a set of yellow dippers with the box and chart and a complete set of the black dippers in the box with the chart. I've used both sets a little over the years, but due to the weights never being quite right, I have always relied on a pair of RCBS powder measures to get things correctly charged. It only takes a minute to adjust them and in my experience are extremely accurate with most flake and ball powders.

Boolit Grand Master
    I just realized something that I have known for years. I don't rely on the listed powder charge in the Lee slide rule like chart, and haven't since I bought my first powder scale. I think the last time I did that was when I was using Herco in both .410 and 20 gauge in high school.

I am more likely to use a dipper into a scale pan than to blindly accept that my dipping technique is anywhere close to whoever figures it out for Mr. Lee. After I know what my dipper throws with my powder, then I will start charging cases.

Robert

Boy, I have my yellow scoops for ages and the red and black must have been made before Methuselah's time
    Regards,

Gary

Boolit Grand Master
    I think the yellow sets came about in the 1990's. First there were 12 or 13 dippers in the set, not much later it went to fifteen IIRC.

Robert

Boolit Master

The set I bought in 1968 was black.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

capacity between red + yellow dippers

found this in my reference archives -
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails lee dipper.jpg  
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    The set I bought in 1968 was black.
    I bought mine around the same time, still have them and my in the black & red box 12 gauge classic loader kit. It came with a black scoop and adjustable aluminum shot scoop marked for shot (ozs) and black powder (drams).

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by magnumuser View Post
    has any of you guys with fancy digital powder measures TRIED to verify the accuracy of ANY version of these lee dippers?

I honestly believe that the person coming up with the charge table doesnt know how to count.
    the yellow ones throw pretty darn close to spot on with all powders Ive tried...... all in how you scoop n level it off.... I usually go one scoop smaller and trickle up last half a grain... too easy.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12