WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Load Data Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's that .30cal mold that ?

What's that .30cal mold that ?

Having a big brain fart here, what's that .30 cal mold that's supposed to be one of the most inherently accurate deals for stuff like .308, 30-06 ect I know now makes it but can't remember which one . Think it's a X something
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Master

Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

It ain't "X" anything.... but it's been X-Ring forever:

Lyman 311299

Mp311-180 sil gc hp 3 cavity brass mold made these.

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

...great....now I'm stuck between two I really want
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

MP300 BLCK 311-235 grain no lube groove gas check 3 cavity brass hollow point mold made these.

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    The XCB is one of the better ones. But, you may like the RCBS 165SIL or some of the others just as well.

One of the benefits of the XCB is that it is not a bore rider. That also means you need to seat it deeper in the case when used with some std chambers ( like the .308).

Boolit Grand Master

Last edited by M-Tecs; 09-24-2023 at 07:29 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I haven't done extensive research, but for my .308, .30-06, and .30-30:
    I've been given a few different ones, but I keep coming back to a 170RN.
    I think my mold is RCBS, but it might be a Lyman. I can't remember.

It seems like that 170 wants to make me look good.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=[/QUOTE]

Any chance it might be this one? It's a good one for sure. I'm not shilling for Midway, it's just the first thing that popped up in the search.
    https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1010243065?pid=667443

Sorry fella. I wasn't wearing my glasses and hit the wrong button again.
    Last edited by RayinNH; 09-25-2023 at 10:29 AM. Reason: put link back
    Proud member in the basket of deplorables.

I've got the itch, but don't got the scratch.

Sorry Ray. I'm brand new at this monitor thing.
    Clicking the wrong button is easier done than said.
    I've already promised the powers that be I wouldn't accidently do that again too.

Anyway-

Yeah, it's the Lyman 173 RN.
    I've had it since the 90s and don't even look at the part number/brand any more.

I cast it with a pretty hard alloy, and get it up pretty close to the max. speeds listed in the Lyman book
    with 3031 or 4198.

It's a natural in my rifles, and would probably make Stevie Wonder turn in a good score at 100 yards.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

This 10 shot sub-MOA group at 100yds with the Lyman 311284 over 31gn 3031 in my Springfield 30.06

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Boolit Master
    My most accurate 30 caliber molds are the Lyman 311284, the RCBS 30-165-Sil, the RCBS 30-180-FN, and the Lyman 311299 in that order. I have other 30 caliber molds, but these are the most accurate.

Idk guys I think I'll stick the NOE and no for now, the Lyman and rcbs mold I have , I just don't like
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Grand Master

Of course there are numerous 30 cal cast bullets that prove themselves accurate when proper cast, loading and shooting techniques are used. Having one of the first 310-165-FN [30 XCB] moulds made by NOE I've been shooting the 30 XCB bullet now for close to 10 years +/- in numerous 30 caliber cartridges in numerous rifles. I've shot over 3,000 out of one rifle alone [the 30x60 XCB], close to 2500 out of my M70 match rifle [308W] and probably a thousand+ out of my M1903A! National Match Type II rifle [30-06] plus I don't know how many out of other 30 cal rifles. I can unequivocally say, the 30 XCB bullet is the easiest cast bullet to get to shoot well with minimal load work up in every rifle I've shot it in. I have had and worked with every cast bullet mentioned in this thread so far and that applies to all of them and the twenty other 30 caliber moulds I currently have. When cast of a proper alloy [I prefer Lyman #2 alloy] and properly weight sorted, the 30 XCB can easily produce 10 shot groups very close to what the rifle is capable of with minimal load work up.

The 30 XCB cast bullet [NOE 310-165-FN-H3] was specifically designed for high velocity cast bullet shooting, generally at velocities of 23-2400 + fps. With a proper twist it is capable of moa accuracy to 600 yards. The attributes for such accuracy capability are also applicable at "normal" cast bullet velocities of 1000 to 2200 fps. I heartily recommend the 30 XCB if excellent accuracy with a 30 caliber cast bullet is wanted.

Here is an 11 shot group [supposed to be 10 shot group but I thought I lost count and fired an extra shot for "insurance"] at 600 yards which measured 5.9". That is just under moa.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3rd grp.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	318274

Left to right, here are some of the cartridges used very successfully with the 30 XCB cast bullet; 308 CBC, 308W, 30x57, 30x60 and the 30-06. One cartridge not pictured is the 30-30. Used in my Contender carbine or in my M94s [as "two shooters"] it is also a wonderfully accurate cast bullet. Another cartridge it has excelled in is the 300 Savage in M99 Savage rifles. The 30 XCB is excellent but was not designed or intended for hunting though I did a bit of PD shooting a few years ago from 300 to 500 yards quite successfully.

Name:	20150130_084309.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	318275
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 09-25-2023 at 09:58 AM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    . The 30 XCB is excellent but was not designed or intended for hunting though I did a bit of PD shooting a few years ago from 300 to 500 yards quite successfully.

Name:	20150130_084309.jpg 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	318275
    Larry

I've never used cast for PD shooting except for lower velocity handguns. When pushing them harder in the 30 XCB how effective are they for explosive kills compared to something like a V-Max? Same comparison for ricochets?
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master

I did it once just to see how they would work and to basically answer, for myself, both questions you have asked. The 30 XCBs I used were WQ'd #2 alloyed bullets pushed at 2900+ fps out of the 30x60 XCB rifle. I was shooting on a ranch in SE Montana close to the Wyoming border. It was wide open space beyond the PDs I was shooting at with nothing to harm from any ricochets. Also, the PDs I was shooting at were on the far side of the wash/field sloping uphill away from me. The 30 cal bullet going through the PDs had a disruptive effect for sure but was not "explosive" as with the 55 gr Varmageddins(SP?) out of my 22-250. However, the 30 XCBs had about the same effect at 350 -500 yards as did 55 gr SXs out of my 223. There were a few ricochets though as the "whiz" of them sailing off could be heard occasionally.

It was interesting to do it once but truthfully, I wouldn't do it again unless I had the same or similar safety fan beyond the PDs.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    The mold that "is considered to be falling off a log accurate in many 30 cals"
    is the Lyman 311291, nom 170 gr RN GC.
    The "statement" goes way back in time, before the more recent CB shooters and mold makers got in the act.

I did find that to be true, though others like the 311299, 311334, 311284 can be quite good, too especially at longer range..
    Indeed, NOE does make a clone of it.
    beltfed/arnie

Boolit Grand Master

Here's a 5 shot group at 500 yards from a 10" twist 308W [24" Adams & Bennent barrel from Midway]. The RPM Threshold was pushed up considerably to 2300+ fps. That rifle/barrel will shoot Hornady 165 SPBTs at moa at 300 yards. It holds 1 to 1 1/2 moa with XCBs when loaded down to 1950 fps.

Name:	M1909 group.jpg 
Size:	25.3 KB 
ID:	318313

Here's a 10 shot group at 500 yards from my 27 1/2" 308W Palma rifle with a 14" twist S&L barrel. This load is the 30 XCB at 2600 fps.

Name:	Palma 500 yd grp size.jpg 
Size:	124.1 KB 
ID:	318314

XCB Bullets;

Name:	30 XCBs.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	29.6 KB 
ID:	318318
    Larry Gibson

― Nikola Tesla

Like he said, I have used this bullet in the 308 win. 30-30 and 06 with excellent results. Was my first 30 cal bullet to cast, some 55 years ago and I still using it. Lyman 311291

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast