Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2WidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationSnyders JerkyLee Precision
Titan Reloading Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Another big score at Walmart!

Boolit Master

Another big score at Walmart!

Wally World coming through again! I just purchased 2,300 CC #11 caps as the whopping price of $5.62 per tin! No shipping or hazmat fees!

Yes, I cleaned them out. Sorry fall hunters in Livingston County Michigan, no caps for you!

......and this is why prices remain so high and availability so low. Good for you.
    "Do not follow where the path might lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail" Ralph Waldo Emerson

Boolit Master
    At least I'm not reselling them on gunbroker for $15/tin. All these will be sending balls down range. I've made caps and bought expensive caps. CCI needs to meet demand, that's not my fault.

You should invest in the cap making tool, the muzzleloader hobby is dying, guns are plentiful, caps aren’t. Expand your hobby and make your own caps, they are much better.

Quote Originally Posted by trails4u View Post
    ......and this is why prices remain so high and availability so low. Good for you.
    Darned supply and demand! It's just too bad the government won't step in and regulate how many caps a person can buy! And price controls too! Dang greedy corporations, all they care about is that nasty profit stuff!

I hoard and buy caps both. The more I buy, the more they'll make. The less they make, the more I make.

Boolit Master
    Folks need to understand................ #11 caps are a seasonal item there at walmart. They only stock these for hunting season.
    Plan accordingly.

Boolit Master

I've got mixed feelings about this, 'nuff said.

Quote Originally Posted by Super Sneaky Steve View Post

Yes, I cleaned them out. Sorry fall hunters in Livingston County Michigan, no caps for you!

Sorry, but IMHO greed doesn't equal sportsmanship.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Master
    Our Walmart doesn't stock guns or ammunition of any kind. For being a superstore it isn't all that super.

I did recently buy some CCI #10 caps from a not quite local, 3 1/2 hours away, black powder shop. I about choked when he said $13.95 a tin. I need them for my four Colts that I converted from the original #9 caps to #10's as I haven't seen a can of #9's in many years. When I started shooting muzzleloaders you could walk in to a sporting goods store and buy a tin of Remington or Winchester/Goldmark caps for $0.59 and pound of powder for less than $3.00. You could order a 25 pound keg of Dupont black for $12.50 and a few dollars shipping. The powder was shipped via Railway Express. While todays prices seem outrageous one must remember wages were a bit lower then, I was making $1.00 per hour.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gtrubicon View Post
    You should invest in the cap making tool, the muzzleloader hobby is dying, guns are plentiful, caps aren’t. Expand your hobby and make your own caps, they are much better.
    I've made plenty of them, but I can't say I enjoy the flea circus act of using tiny scoops and getting tiny amount of material into a tiny little cup. I really don't think muzzleloading shooting is dying. I think it's really taken off in the past few years.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    Hmmmm . . .. well, I guess you're the winner for "bragging rights", plus it's apparent how you earned your handle.

Huh . . . . $5.62 a hundred? That comes out to $129.26 for 23 tins of 100. When I started shooting BP 60 + years ago, caps were 25 to 50 cents a tin for Remingtons and a pound of DuPont BP was 75 cents a pound. Just before the world and this country took a nosedive - I bought 5,000 caps from a bulk supplier that I have purchased powder and caps from for years. 2,500 #10 and 2,5000 #11. Kind of amusing - my 5,000 caps cost me about $5.00 more than you paid for your 2,300 caps, which means in theory, that I could shoot more than two times than what you can at half the price. No brag . . . . just fact. The difference is . . . I have given away about half of what I purchased to a number of guys I know who wanted to shoot but couldn't because the shelves were bare - at no cost to them. Again . . . no brag . . . just fact.

So congratulations to you on your "big score" . . . . . I'm sure there are many others here, like me, that are happyy for your "big score" and I hope you enjoy each and every cap. I don't know why your post reminds me of one of my uncles when I was a kid . . . he was the one at family dinners who always kept the plate of sliced turkey and the bowl of mashed potatoes in front of his plate and refused to pass them down to others. Well . . . no matter . . . if I think about it enough I'll figure it out.

Congratulations, Steve. You ruined Christmas. Happy?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by elk hunter View Post
    Our Walmart doesn't stock guns or ammunition of any kind. For being a superstore it isn't all that super.

I did recently buy some CCI #10 caps from a not quite local, 3 1/2 hours away, black powder shop. I about choked when he said $13.95 a tin. I need them for my four Colts that I converted from the original #9 caps to #10's as I haven't seen a can of #9's in many years. When I started shooting muzzleloaders you could walk in to a sporting goods store and buy a tin of Remington or Winchester/Goldmark caps for $0.59 and pound of powder for less than $3.00. You could order a 25 pound keg of Dupont black for $12.50 and a few dollars shipping. The powder was shipped via Railway Express. While todays prices seem outrageous one must remember wages were a bit lower then, I was making $1.00 per hour.
    Have you tried asking the store mgr. to order a case of them for you?

Boolit Master

MOst stores and chains operate on an "Automatic Order" automated system. If they run off the shelf - they order more. For a seasonal item - it may or may not be a one time and out system.

I am not catholic; but I see some of the 7 deadly sins at work here in this thread:

Lust
    Gluttony
    Greed
    Sloth
    Wrath
    Envy
    Pride

a. Super Sneaky Steve - congratulations on your ability to get the items needed to enjoy your selected sport.
    b. Others that are seeking Muzzle Loader Caps - Hopefully the supply at your location will improve.
    c. All - if the industry will not support/meet your needs - Take care of yourself.

1. Prime all can be used in caps.
    2. Sharpshooter 22LR Reloader has cap makers similar to old "Tap o Cap" . The #10 cap maker will work on #11 requirements (Such as my .50 Cal Hawken). https://sharpshooter-22lr-reloader.m...sion-cap-maker

I am not Hindu - But NAMASTE to all.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

I'm going to check my local Walmart now, and buy everything they have, not because I need them, but just because I can and it'll irritate people who think it's their business to decide the virtue of my purchasing decisions. Which sin is that?

Boolit Master
    I can offer another suggestion for those that are having a hard time finding caps. As I had said in a previous post in this thread and a few others, if you ask the store manager to order caps specifically for you most all of them will. Look at ordering them after June 15th, because they start stocking muzzleloader stuff middle to end of July. I know this because I used to work for Walmart as a transportation driver. Muzzleloader season here in New Mexico starts middle of September, so our local stores will start to put muzzleloader items out on the shelf towards the end of July. I hope this helps.

Boolit Bub
    Good score. Nice to see that Walmart is still stocking them on a seasonal basis.

I hope the OP is proud of himself for sharing his greed with all you fellows looking for #11's this hunting season. Heck, he can shoot deer for all of you!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Swineherd View Post
    Congratulations, Steve. You ruined Christmas. Happy?

The guy saw product that he wanted and bought it. Were you going to come to Michigan and buy it? Buy what you can when you can find it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast