Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionWidenersLoad Data
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Another big score at Walmart!

Primers will be plentiful just as soon as our benevolent leaders are done with WWIII.

Boolit Master
    Unless the percussion cap line is cleared out to make space for another 5.56 line...local maker here has dumped half of their reloader powder line to make military propellants.......they also make primers ,but will not consider selling them ,all primers go into loaded ammo.

I was in Sportsmans WH a while back there was 4 pounds of H110 I thought about buying all 4 but figured 2 would do and maybe one or two guys that were looking for it would be glad to get it also. Not trying to act self righteous or any thing, it was also $40.00 a pound. I find my self shooting allot more black powder now any way.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

Quote Originally Posted by lead chucker View Post
    I was in Sportsmans WH a while back there was 4 pounds of H110 I thought about buying all 4 but figured 2 would do and maybe one or two guys that were looking for it would be glad to get it also. Not trying to act self righteous or any thing, it was also $40.00 a pound. I find my self shooting allot more black powder now any way.
    +1 on this.

I shoot a lot of black. Once you're set up to tumble your own powder and cast your own boolits, the greater economy doesn't have to affect your shooting activities as much.

Making or reloading primers is more about availability than anything else. It's a time consuming endeavor, even at inflated prices, it's preferable to me to buy them.

My source if you're interested is Ammunition Manufacturing by Frost circa 1990 via the NRA. Original copies are hens teeth and when found are $400-600. There are multiple PDF files and it is a wealth of information of compounds, cup and anvil stock thickness and geometry and of course much much more.

If you're a well read nerd and apt to retain information from thousands of sources over decades, the book might be more of the same as many gun rag writers have referenced his work (with or without siting) since 1990 in addition to other sources that share commonality thanks to industry standard.

I don't remember if he went over the dies, pneumatic feeders and automatic presses but that info is out there too if not in his book.

That's excellent, Brimstone. Found a pdf on the internet archives. Thanks for the reference, much appreciated.

Virtually all my info so far has come from aardvark reloading

Boolit Buddy
    “According to the concept, the tragedy of the commons, should a number of people enjoy unfettered access to a finite, valuable resource such as a pasture, they will tend to over-use it, and may end up destroying its value altogether. To exercise voluntary restraint is not a rational choice for individuals – if they did, the other users would merely supplant them – yet the predictable result is a tragedy for all.”

Discuss?

Quote Originally Posted by Woodnbow View Post
    “According to the concept, the tragedy of the commons, should a number of people enjoy unfettered access to a finite, valuable resource such as a pasture, they will tend to over-use it, and may end up destroying its value altogether. To exercise voluntary restraint is not a rational choice for individuals – if they did, the other users would merely supplant them – yet the predictable result is a tragedy for all.”

Discuss?
    My observation of human behavior largely mirrors this concept. There are radical exceptions on both ends but most of us fall in the middle somewhere.

So people organize a government whose purpose is to ensure fair use of the resource and ensure security and penalties for violators. Forgetting that the government is made up of people who often can be cohersed into favoring an individual or group either by personal beliefs or some sort of personal reward. Or propose population control which only seems to have favor with those who have no intention of being subjected to the control themselves.
    Last edited by Hannibal; 09-29-2023 at 08:08 PM.

Primers aren't a finite resource.
    And thank goodness, considering they're a consumable.

Sheesh, I half expect someone to pipe up and demand the proletariat rise up and seize the means of production.
    Last edited by Swineherd; 09-29-2023 at 08:28 PM.

Make your own stuff and dont worry about what every body else is doing. Caps are easy to make once you have the stuff which isn't hard to get.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

Boolit Master
    My local Walmart had CCI#11's on the rack for $5.62/100. I purchased 5 tins. there were probably twice that left on the rack.

Boolit Bub
    Over here in England CCI no11 are $16 to $24 a hundred , Swiss black powder is $122 a kilo and the own brand black powder of one of the only source's in England is $54 for 1.1 lb.

Quote Originally Posted by andy h View Post
    Over here in England CCI no11 are $16 to $24 a hundred , Swiss black powder is $122 a kilo and the own brand black powder of one of the only source's in England is $54 for 1.1 lb.
    The only possible way such simple items could be so expensive is through egregious taxation. Punitive even.

Boolit Mold
    I have purchased a tin of 2 at multiple Walmarts. Found a tin last week. I think they are probably out for the season. I hope multiple people bought from the Walmarts I did. I left most. Bought enough to last me a bit.

They don't sell BP caps in our walmarts, at least I have never seen them.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Thumbs up

What Minerat said!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Hodges View Post
    My local Walmart had CCI#11's on the rack for $5.62/100. I purchased 5 tins. there were probably twice that left on the rack.
    If I saw caps for that price I proly dig deep and take at least a couple thousand - not gonna brag about it on here tho. Leave em on the shelf for the next bloke ?? nah he might be a real scumbag - if you gonna "do the right thing" take the lot - resell em to friends at cost..........................................

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Swineherd View Post
    I'm going to check my local Walmart now, and buy everything they have, not because I need them, but just because I can and it'll irritate people who think it's their business to decide the virtue of my purchasing decisions. Which sin is that?
    i agree.im interesting in me shooting not some whinner who sits on the couch crying like a Karen.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Minerat View Post
    They don't sell BP caps in our walmarts, at least I have never seen them.
    In Winchester, VA the Walmart got rid of all guns and caps and will only sell rifle ammo. Thought it odd and asked the lady who ran it why. She stated it was a corporate policy and I commented pretty odd considering the number if hunters in the area. Following year we happened to find a newer Walmart in the same city with a full gun section. I haven't been back to check for caps. Asked how come they have guns and not the other store. Turns out the lady running that department is not "customer friendly " and they had to many complaints so they decided to stop selling guns vs fixing the employee issue. That is what I was told so take it with a grain of salt but wouldn't be surprised. Just goes to show check all over wherever you are, you never know.

Not percussion caps but was pleasantly surprised to see local Walmart had Federal 209ML primers in stock yesterday. Sportsman’s Warehouse had none.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123