Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789

Thread: Armadillo Hunting?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    Their shell is kind of slippery.
    Maybe a coyote can't get a good grip on it.
    If they can flip one over, they've got some pretty strong landing gear to kick and tear with too.
    The first my pup killed he got a pretty good tear type wound over the face that got infected. The same kinds of wounds from killing a cat and raccoon. Since then, no visible injuries from killing any critter. Some appear to have their necks broken and he often kills armadillos while they are trying to bury themselves and find them mostly buried and dead. He has become an efficient executioner of four legged intruders.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    This is not hunting, but more a futile attempt at extermination. I am still amazed that the expanded coyote population can not keep them in check.

Like !
    Extermination ... Yeah that's the term I was missing ...

Concerning Armadillo's ... Does anyone know how to tell the males (Bucks) from the females (Does) , I mean just by looking at them ...?

About two weeks ago a coyote was photographed on the street I live on ...
    I haven't seen any Armadillo's in the area ...so maybe the coyote is doing his job in this old Baton Rouge subdivision . The wildlife around here is amazing ... Hawks , Cedar Waxwings , Mississippi Kites even a family of foxes lives around here . The Raccoons and Possums are just big nuisance's ...

Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 03-10-2024 at 06:01 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post

Like !

Concerning Armadillo's ... Does anyone know how to tell the males (Bucks) from the females (Does) , I mean just by looking at them ...?

I haven't seen any Armadillo's in the area ...so maybe the coyote is doing his job in this old Baton Rouge subdivision . The wildlife around here is amazing ... Hawks , Cedar Waxwings , Mississippi Kites even a family of foxes lives around here . The Raccoons and Possums are just big nuisance's ...

Gary
    In some places coyotes are getting bigger due to genes from wolves and domestic dogs and also evolution. Maybe your coyotes are bigger and better able to crush an armadillo.

I have an abundant supply of coyotes. They must not be an effective predator of armadillos. I have killed 25+ armadillos on my property. The shells end up being inedible and stay on the ground for at least 2 years here. The ones I have killed end up being eaten by buzzards, dogs and coyotes with the shells nearby.

I have never seen an armadillo shell of one that I have not killed and I roam my 24 acres weekly.
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Digital Dan View Post
    They are a nuisance for sure. My ‘dillo eraser is a T/C carbine chambered for shorts. I use BB caps and they are 100% effective. The neighbors don’t have a clue.
    I wish I could find a TC barrel chambered for shorts. What length is yours? Would a 14" be quiet, do you think?
    Last edited by Charlie Horse; 03-11-2024 at 10:27 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post

Like !

Gary
    Quote Originally Posted by barnetmill View Post
    In some places coyotes are getting bigger due to genes from wolves and domestic dogs and also evolution. Maybe your coyotes are bigger and better able to crush an armadillo.
    Been doing some more thinking. The armadillos started spreading to the Southeastern USA about the time that the red wolf and the Mexican wolf was being decimated. They are bigger than normal southwestern coyotes and likely they have big enough jaws to kill armadillos. The Mexican wolf has been reintroduced into some locales, but that is in the southwest mainly. Will not do the rest of the southern USA and points north a lot of help at the moment. At one time those areas also had jaguars that surely are capable of killing armadillos. Cougars and black bears I am sure can do it also. Maybe bears and big cats just do not care much for them.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20240330_210959_DuckDuckGo.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	325241
    Dan Wesson 744V .44mag, S&W Mod 19-4 .357 , Stevens 200 .223

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789