RepackboxTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any 45-75 Shooters Here?

Boolit Bub

Any 45-75 Shooters Here?

Just picked up a Cimarron 1876 NWMP Carbine in 45-75 WCF. Does anyone here load for that caliber? The rifle came with a set of dies, about 200 pieces of brass, and about 200 projectiles. I am just struggling to find a starting point for load data. Thanks!

This just being a guess on my part as I don't load for 45-75 but i'd look at 45-70 data for the same weight of bullet and start with the upper end of trap door loads or bottom end of lever action loads. Gp

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    A quick search shows a Barnes listing for a 350gr cast bullet, 24gr of IMR4198 for 1380fps.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Buddy

https://www.cascity.com/forumhall/in...?topic=52208.0

CAScity has a section devoted to the 1876, and separate sections for loading each caliber.

https://shootingwithhobie.blogspot.c...roduction.html
    Hobie covers converting cases and some load data as well.

I use these to resources for my 50-95. Also a full case of BP works great but my bullet doesn't quite hold enough lube for BP, Hodgdon Triple 7 is pretty easy to come by lately and I've come to like a case full of that in 50-95 as well as some other large BP cases.
    Last edited by hpbear101; 09-21-2023 at 12:37 PM.

Boolit Bub
    Thanks guys! I appreciate it. None of my books had information on that one so I appreciate the help!

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by Cessnapilot89 View Post
    Thanks guys! I appreciate it. None of my books had information on that one so I appreciate the help!
    Just remembered the Lyman 47th edition has a write up on all the 1876 calibers (except 50-95).

I load a 300gr gc bullet over 24gr IMR 4198 in cases formed from .348 brass fired in an original Winchester 1876 circa. 1877. Not a heavy load but plenty to kill a deer and my gun likes it.

Boolit Master
    I shoot a guide gun in 45/70, 515 gr pure lead bullet over 27 grs of 5744, with a mag primer, heavy bear load, very accurate in my gun; hits hard on both ends....

Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    I shoot a guide gun in 45/70, 515 gr pure lead bullet over 27 grs of 5744, with a mag primer, heavy bear load, very accurate in my gun; hits hard on both ends....
    I think you misread the original post.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    I think you misread the original post.
    Yes I did; You can still use the same data to start your quest!

Only if you want to blow up a 76

Boolit Master

If you have 200 pieces of correct caliber marked brass, you are ahead of the game. I picked up a sort of twin to yours, a crossfire carbine in 45-75 - case colored instead of blued like yours. I am still trying to put together some more caliber marked cases. I have a small batch of Jamison 45-75 brass - but looking for more
    Being human is not for sissies.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cessnapilot89 View Post
    Just picked up a Cimarron 1876 NWMP Carbine in 45-75 WCF. Does anyone here load for that caliber? The rifle came with a set of dies, about 200 pieces of brass, and about 200 projectiles. I am just struggling to find a starting point for load data. Thanks!
    I have a Uberti 76 rifle in 45/75
    Brass from Winchester 348W
    330 or 405 grain boolit from a modified LEE 459 / 405 / HB mold
    Full case blackpowder
    45thou HDPE wad over powder

CAS city is theplace for info

Boolit Bub
    Thanks guys! It is appreciated. Have some swiss powder on the way and more projectiles.

Boolit Buddy
    In regards to cartridge brass. Jamison 45-75 WCF cases are prone to splitting in the shoulder after 7-10 reloadings. I would recommend annealing the shoulder/neck area after every 2-3 reloadings. In my case this has eliminated the split shoulders. First batch of 20 cases, I had a 50% loss from split shoulder by the 10th reloading.

The best published modern article on reloading Italian Replica Chaparral 1876's is the Brian Pearce article, in the Lyman 49th Reloading Manual. Original loadings revolved around a 350 grain RNFP plain based bullet. The Lyman 457192 is a very close copy of the original bullet. Shooting a slightly oversized bullet greatly enhances accuracy. In regards to smokeless powder, 4198 is a good place to start.
    Rick
    Last edited by Rick B; 09-28-2023 at 01:28 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick B View Post
    In regards to cartridge brass. Jamison 45-75 WCF cases are prone to splitting in the shoulder after 7-10 reloadings. I would recommend annealing the shoulder/neck area after every 2-3 reloadings. In my case this has eliminated the split shoulders. First batch of 20 cases, I had a 50% loss from split shoulder by the 10th reloading.

The best published modern article on reloading Italian Replica Chaparral 1876's is the Brian Pearce article, in the Lyman 49th Reloading Manual. Original loadings revolved around a 350 grain RNFP plain based bullet. The Lyman 457192 is a very close copy of the original bullet. Shooting a slightly oversized bullet greatly enhances accuracy. In regards to smokeless powder, 4198 is a good place to start.
    Rick
    Good advice. I have found that a gas check bullet greatly increases accuracy in the older guns. Not sure if it would make a difference in a replica.

Boolit Buddy
    Kai, the smallest groups in my experience, were the result of a gas checked bullet. The 300 grain RCBS bullet sized .4595 with a Gator gas check from Sage Outdoors. Shoots extremely tight groups in a Winchester 1876, 45-75 WCF.

In regards to brass. I tried 3 different options. 348 WCF is the easiest case to start with.

Initial rough trim
    Anneal future case neck shoulder area.
    Five separate tapered expanders. 35-37-40-43-45 caliber expanders
    Second trimming .020 long case will shrink in length upon firing
    Anneal case neck shoulder area again.
    Full length size
    Load and fire form twice, then trim to final length.

It's a time consuming process, however with proper annealing. The resulting cases will last a very long time.
    Rick

Boolit Master
    If you can pick up a copy of Mike Venturinos shooting lever actions of the old west I think he covers most of the older cartridges. It’s a great read!
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

Quote Originally Posted by Rick B View Post
    Kai, the smallest groups in my experience, were the result of a gas checked bullet. The 300 grain RCBS bullet sized .4595 with a Gator gas check from Sage Outdoors. Shoots extremely tight groups in a Winchester 1876, 45-75 WCF.

In regards to brass. I tried 3 different options. 348 WCF is the easiest case to start with.

Initial rough trim
    Anneal future case neck shoulder area.
    Five separate tapered expanders. 35-37-40-43-45 caliber expanders
    Anneal case neck shoulder area again.
    Full length size
    Load and fire form twice, then trim to final length.

It's a time consuming process, however with proper annealing. The resulting cases will last a very long time.
    Rick
    The mold I am using is an NEI .358-300

Boolit Bub
    Thank you!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast