RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Need Advice/Reinforcement on Details

Boolit Master

Need Advice/Reinforcement on Details

Sorry for the vague title. I really didn't know how to describe what I needed help with.

I've got Daystate Huntsman Revere .22 cal PCP. While I was at it I also got a 75 CI tank. After depending on the local volunteer fire department to fill the tank, I decided to buy a compressor,

To explain my situation a little bit further, my wife passed away shortly after I received the Daystate. For about 3-4 months I had little desire to do much of anything much less shoot the PCP. Now that I've started familiarizing myself with it I have a few basic questions.

I find that 50 shots is about the limit to keep my shots from dropping 3/8 to 1/2 inch from POA at approx 52 feet. Since I'm only shooting at paper now the last ten shots don't bother me too much. I assume this is about the usual experience of others.

My primary question concerns my tank. So far I've stopped at filling it at 4000 PSI. Now after filling my gun several times(I didn't record how many) I'm down to about 180 bar or below 3000 PSI. I understand that the compressor is capable of about 4500PSI or 310 bar. I'm not yet comfortable charging the tank to that pressure so will restrict myself to approx 4000 PSI or roughly 275 bar until I am comfortable with going higher. Then again I might be satisfied to stay at the lower level.

Since I have the compressor, I'm thinking that refilling the tank to 4000 PSI for the time being is my best plan. I have read online where some fill their guns with the compressor. I can see how that can be done but don't see how it would be any advantage to me.

Does this sound reasonable? Any advice to the contrary?

Thanks.
    John
    John
    W.TN

Moderator Emeritus

I prefer to fill from my tank. Probably no difference, but I bought the tank for a reason and don't want to risk thr gun in a direct fill. That is just me. Others have far more experience and knowledge than I do. Good luck.

Cast Boolits Owner

Dad is 83 but still enjoys shooting so we picked up a couple of PCP’s and a compressor earlier this year. The first one has a max operating pressure of 3500 PSI. The 2nd one has a max operating pressure of 4500 PSI. In both instances the rifles are more accurate at lower pressures. Currently the compressor is set to shut off at 3000 PSI which seems to work well for both.

Hopefully this answers your question.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

I just find it easier to fill from the tank than the compressor. Filling your tank to lower pressures only downside is having to fill the tank much more often. After filling mine to 4500 and letting it sit a while (to cool?) the pressure drops down closer to 4100-4200.
    Now, I've only had my tank and compressor a couple months so remember. I'm still learning too
    Last edited by chutesnreloads; 09-24-2023 at 09:03 AM.

Boolit Master

Sorry to be slow about responding. This has been good information. I just recharged my tank for the first time last week. I didn't go the full 4500 PSI but will next time. Since my Daystate Huntsman Revere is regulated, it pretty much makes sense to me to start with a full tank and keep track of the point at which the pressure drops below the regulated pressure 3625PSI or 250 BAR. At least this is my take on the advice I've been given plus the instructions in the manual.

This is a change to my thinking in the original post. A thorough repeat reading of the manual helped also. It has been so long since I received my engineering degree(1964) that I forgot the 1st rule-"When all else fails, read the instructions".

I'll probably try letting the gun pressure drop below the regulator pressure to see if groups improve any. Shouldn't be a problem since all I'm shooting is paper in my back yard. I've done that enough that the squirrels have moved to safer locations.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master
    There is an inline regulator I am looking at:

https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/reg...rated-fillset/

I normally do a lot of shooting off the bench and this will allow the tank to be tethered to the gun and have the same pressure for every shot. (My Daystate is not regulated).

In my case, I am likely being anal and fretting about how much better my gun will perform under ideal conditions. In you case, if your regulator is working properly, this "gadget" is unlikely to do much wrt to better accuracy by providing consistent pressure until you are "falling off" the regulator.

In either case, by having the gun tethered to the tank, there is no filling of the gun required every XX shots. And that may be worth something if you do a lot of bench shooting as I do.

I am leery of filling the gun from a compressor. If the "auto stop" fails, it will overpressure the gun. Plus, it means running a cord to the bench to power the compressor or taking the gun to the compressor to fill it. That is a pain to do for long shooting sessions. The tank is ideal for my needs/hangups. If I ever purchase a compressor, it will be to fill the tank.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    ...... If I ever purchase a compressor, it will be to fill the tank.
    Just an added note: I have a Nomad II compressor for my PCPs, and its instructions VERY clearly state that it is NOT to be used for filling anything (e.g., tanks) other than individual air rifles. I had hoped to acquire a small cylinder to take to woods/range for my Marauders and other PCPs. My AirArms air rifles have optional screw-on/off tanks -- and I have four of these to complement my T200 and S200 arms -- providing a days' shooting for me. But, need schlep the NomadII and use my Toyota Tacoma's 12V battery to power it at camp/range.
    Should you desire a compressor to fill tanks, it might be wise to check the compressor you are looking into's specs/instructions to ascertain if it will fill your tank.
    geo

I do fill my guns straight from the compressor, but I do watch it, just in case.

Boolit Mold
    I have two tanks( 100cu. in. and a Great White 98cu. ft. ) and an Air Venturi big compressor to fill bottles and also fill guns directly. I found that filling the guns directly from the compressor tended to fill them too fast. So about 4 months ago I bought a Rovair from PA that is 120v or 12v. and just fill my guns directly. It works great and I can take it anywhere.I can easily set the shutoff for any gun I need to fill up to 4500. I never fill above 4350psi. though, just a safety thing for me. I get a little nervous transporting full tanks in a vehicle. I also worry about dropping one.

I liked what Don had done so much, I more or less copied what he did. I DID get a compressor too and got a smaller tank for fills
    when I wasn't using the tether. Unfortunately my in-line regulator sprung a leak and I lost a fair amount of air from the big tank messing
    with it. Think I found the O-ring that's the culprit. My compressor advertised running over 30 minutes before getting too hot.
    Hooked up the big tank to try topping it off. Let it run for 20 minutes then cool for 30. Surprised at another 20 minutes and tank was full.
    Guess it wasn't as low as it looked or the compressor is working better than expected.