Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataRotoMetals2RepackboxLee Precision
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: Forming .219 Zipper, need info

Boolit Mold

Forming .219 Zipper, need info

Good morning to all! I'm forming .219 Zipper cases from .30-30 Win. No problem so far, using RCBS #1 and #2 forming dies, then into the FL die. So far so good! I know I'll need to turn the necks, of course, and I was wondering if someone with some factory .219 Win brass would measure the neck wall thickness and let me know. Right now it looks like about .0135 or so. Thanks in advance!

Boolit Buddy
    I make .219 Zipper cases, 25-35 cases are the easiest. Sorry I don’t have any factory .219 Zipper to measure. I made a chamber cast to measure the neck and turn as needed. Starting from annealed 30-30, I start with a 7-30 trim die shortened to put the shoulder to the 25-35 length then into a 25-35 trim die, then .219 Zipper FL die. Even with this I was getting wrinkled brass and losing brass at the 25-35 stage, worse at .219 sizing. I finally dumped the Imperial sizing wax and use RCBS pump spray. I wipe the lube from neck & shoulder before the 25-35 trim sizing.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for the reply! Do you know the neck diameter of your chamber, and the neck thickness of your brass? i've done 29 cases so far (yes, I crunched one, my fault), and only one has the slightest wrinkle in the shoulder. As mentioned above, I'm using the RCBS forming dies and working slowly. I also stopped with the Imperial lube and moved over to motor oil. Keeping the cases clean as they go through the processing seems to help a lot. One of my reloading books, Hornady, I think, shows the case neck diameter to be .252", so I'm assuming that's with a .224 bullet loaded. That would be a max neck thickness of .014" if I'm understanding things correctly. I haven't loaded any yet but I'll be using that figure. Anything else you have learned that you'd care to share would be great!

Boolit Buddy
    My 25-35 cases measure .248” with .224” bullet seated, 30-30 were .249”. Fired all measure.253”.
    My chamber was cut with standard Clymer .219 Zipper reamer, I don’t remember my chamber cast but I knew I had enough neck clearance. I have only rough turned high spots.
    I’ve never seen a factory .219 Zipper ammo.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben_51004 View Post
    Thanks for the reply! Do you know the neck diameter of your chamber, and the neck thickness of your brass? i've done 29 cases so far (yes, I crunched one, my fault), and only one has the slightest wrinkle in the shoulder. As mentioned above, I'm using the RCBS forming dies and working slowly. I also stopped with the Imperial lube and moved over to motor oil. Keeping the cases clean as they go through the processing seems to help a lot. One of my reloading books, Hornady, I think, shows the case neck diameter to be .252", so I'm assuming that's with a .224 bullet loaded. That would be a max neck thickness of .014" if I'm understanding things correctly. I haven't loaded any yet but I'll be using that figure. Anything else you have learned that you'd care to share would be great!
    The two on the right are factory primed and unformed, the one on the left is from my 2x fired brass bin. Amazing how much they "grow" when reloading and firing.
    Hope this helps.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I just measured some of mine. These were made from Hornady Frontiers Circa 1993 ish. (before they mfg'd thier own rifle brass) almost positive it is Winchester judging by the headstamp text. The necks were not reamed. 7-30 Waters die, 25-35,
    then 219 Zipper Die. Expanders removed, then trim and square up mouths run thru 219 die with expander. I have a 219 Zipper TC BBL -- T/C did a special run for Accu Sports

Loaded 0.2493 to 0.2502"
    Fired 0.2540"