Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionRotoMetals2WidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders Jerky Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: That’s a bunch of Bull

Quote Originally Posted by abunaitoo View Post
    Are they venomous????
    No,but we have three kinds that are poisonous here. Rattle snake, Copperhead, and Cottonmouth moccasin.
    Four in East Texas counting the Coral snake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Are they venomous????
    Nope, constrictor.

Are they venomous????
    No. Bull snakes are the largest non-venomous snake in the region. And their coloring is just similar enough to rattlers that, if you don't know any better, you would easily panic and react poorly. Unfortunately, many Bull Snakes are killed for that reason. They do the same job of reducing the rodent population that rattlers do, but are not harmful to humans or livestock.

When the first easterners started arriving out here as tourists, some Navajo and Hopi indians would put on dances of traditional culture for the gawking Yankees. One of which would include a medicine man holding a large Bull Snake in his mouth as he did the rain dance. The Yankees didn't know it was NOT a venomous snake, and were astounded at the testicular fortitude of the amazingly reckless medicine man. How did he not get bit by that thing?!?!
    When democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote.

Boolit Master
    My backyard gopher snake hasn't even tried to bite me, once she is done hissing.
    I would expect to get bit if I squeezed her, though.
    You know how women are.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by .429&H110 View Post
    My backyard gopher snake hasn't even tried to bite me, once she is done hissing.
    I would expect to get bit if I squeezed her, though.
    You know how women are.
    I pick mine up open handed, he just lays there as I move him out of the way... he knows I won't hurt him, been around for 8+ years now! Saw him in the front yard today, Max my rescue dog was looking at him with a what the heck is this thing look LOL He went down a gopher hole... winter is coming and he nests in my basement thru a hole in front of the foundation, must be a passage thru the field foundation. I have a pile of straw down there he curls up in for the winter. Just warm enough down there he gets the occasional mouse or rat but not so warm he burns a lot of energy. Temp drops to 40ish mid winter.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Txcowboy52 View Post
    I don’t remember the last time I seen a bull snake around here. It’s funny I was just talking to my oldest boy about the virtues of the bull snake a few days ago, he lives west of Dripping Springs and has crossed paths with rattlesnakes several times here lately. I told him he needs to import him some bull snakes.
    Peacocks are death on rattlesnakes as well.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    Peacocks are death on rattlesnakes as well.
    Oh dear Lord,...not the roosters from Hell. Their prettier than roosters, but louder, too. And don't care whether it's morning or not.
    When democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote.

Boolit Master
    Roadrunners eat my little lizards, an owl or hawk would have a busy time with a seven foot snake.
    I rarely see the yearly small coontails, rattlers with one button, everybody eats them, I hope.
    We have a pack of javalinas that will eat anything, we can't have Halloween pumpkins.
    The snakes like to live on the inside of the walls of our backyards because most of the zoo is kept out.
    Just beware the geezers but geezers don't come out at night and can't see camoflage anyway.
    The coontails learned not to rattle or move, all the noisy snakes are dead, adaptation, not evolution.
    Long ago the packrats burrowed under because the bobcats patrol the tops of the walls.
    I like the true story that the pumas took over from Border Patrol in the Santa Ritas.
    Now there's an idea. Re-stock mountain lions in Texas! Wife thinks alligators in the Rio Grande would work.
    Wife wasn't worried about bears in Alaska, they were afraid of her, but she saw an alligator in Florida once.

Boolit Bub
    I have a few black rat snakes around my property in SW MO and I'm always glad to see them. It seems like they keep the copperheads in check as I don't ever see a copperhead around my sheds and buildings when the rat snakes are here. Many years ago I didn't see the rat snakes for a couple of seasons and the copperheads were out of control. I can't think of a snake with a nastier disposition than a copperhead.

Quote Originally Posted by choctaw/creek View Post
    I can't think of a snake with a nastier disposition than a copperhead.
    They're so mean, they hate theirselves.
    It's about the same with the water moccasins, they'll come after ya trying to strike.
    People say we have them both here, so I watch for them, but have never seen one.

What we have an abundance of is a diamond back water snake.
    They're not venomous, but have the paint job of a diamond back rattle snake.
    They don't seem to be a problem with anything I like, so I leave 'em alone.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    They're so mean, they hate theirselves.
    It's about the same with the water moccasins, they'll come after ya trying to strike.
    People say we have them both here, so I watch for them, but have never seen one.

What we have an abundance of is a diamond back water snake.
    They're not venomous, but have the paint job of a diamond back rattle snake.
    They don't seem to be a problem with anything I like, so I leave 'em alone.
    Fishing in OK with friends... water moc kept trying to get in the boat despite being picked up with a paddle and flung 30 feet away 5 times. Friend finally shot it with the pistol he carried for the really big garfish we were after. Nasty snake!

Quote Originally Posted by MaryB View Post
    Fishing in OK with friends... water moc kept trying to get in the boat
    Lots of folks down here tell stories of water moccasins being very aggressive and trying to crawl up into boats.
    If it's some little flat bottom jon boat, and they make it in, business really picks up!
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    We don't have bull snakes here, but have gray rat snakes aka chicken snakes. I've got several in my shed that help keep the mice and voles in check. Speckled king snakes are always welcome around here, as they keep the venomous snakes down. The copper heads here are very docile and would much rather slink away than be confrontational. Cotton mouths on the other hand tend to be more aggressive, and the cane break rattlers here are very shy, and generally don't stay in any area that's disturbed. We never had them where we ran cattle, but in hilly areas with no livestock you best keep your eyes peeled! I'm surprised there are any snakes in Texas with the number of hogs running loose.

The snake population has definitely taken a hit from the hog population!
    We grew up fighting off the Cottonmouths on our river rides; now I don’t see many at all.
    I’d truly rather have the snakes if given a choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk