Lee PrecisionLoad DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingWidenersRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Weeds

Boolit Buddy

Weeds

Have a sand over compacted crusher run 'dust' riding arena that my wife has not used in years. Weed growth is a problem and heretofore I have been harrowing and spraying with Roundup on a regular basis. Looking for a soil sterilizer that perhaps would keep weeds from sprouting and yet would not leach into a nearby pond nor the surrounding soil. Any such thing???

Boolit Master
    Not a chemical, but I use a weedburner. Keeps the weeds away for a bit. I use it about 3 times a summer.

It'd be more of a long term thing, but if you can mow, kill, or cut them before they go to seed helps a lot.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Horticultural strength vinegar.
    Used some recently, for the first time, at the range. Within a week the weeds were dead. The stuff I used was 45 percent vinegar, mixed it 1 to 1 with water. It can be ordered through Amazon or your local Tractor Supply store.

Brian
    https://wbrpc.org/

genealogy, another area of interest

feedback - http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...9613-czech_too

Boolit Master
    Copper sulfate ?? Used here to kill poison ivy and pond scum ?? Apple cider vinegar 33% works good for weeds in pavement ?

Boolit Buddy
    Maybe try a pre-emergent like they use in crop fields.

Boolit Master
    I think I would turn that "riding arena that my wife hasn't used in years" into something more productive. I never have enough space for garden and trees.

Boolit Master
    Pellet type long term slow release herbicide ......quite costly,but you will have bare ground for at least 5 years ..........however ,sensitivity varies between species ,and if there is runoff you may have problems .

Boolit Master

We’ve had good luck using cleaning vinegar & water mix (one to one ratio) with a cup of salt and quarter cup of Dawn dish soap added per gallon of mix.
    Some vegetation will require more than one application and it needs at least 24 hours without rain after you apply.
    Around here a half gallon of cleaning vinegar costs $1.25 at the dollar store.

Salt will kill the ground. Vinegar works but you get seeds coming up all the time. Mowing and collecting the seed heads works too.
    Whatever!

Boolit Grand Master

Straight DEF.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Moderator Emeritus

Lay down black plastic and leave it for 2-3 years. Heat will sterilize the ground under it...

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by bowfin View Post
    I think I would turn that "riding arena that my wife hasn't used in years" into something more productive. I never have enough space for garden and trees.
    Or plant some prairie grass and plant for, but the taller ones can be a great place for vermin to live and/or hide. But buffalo grass doesn't get very tall, 6-9 inches.

No chemical treatment will last forever. Can't fight nature, only can control or guide it a bit.

Boolit Master

even clear plastic with our heat down in Texas cover it and it's dead, cooked straight to dust.
    I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
    Paralyzed Veterans of America

Looking for a Hensly &Gibbs #258 any thing from a two cavity to a 10cavityI found a new one from a member here

I’ve been fighting chinese privet on my 33 acre property. Pulling it up and burning it or running it through my chipper. It loves the edge on the woods next to the field. Have a couple big ones that I’m going to try epsom salts on the stumps. Don’t want anything too toxic that could kill something else as I’ve got big pecans, oaks, holly, and wild scuppernong grapes in the woods. Will be nice when I get it cleaned out. This was last year. The thick green on the edge is privet. A lot of that is gone now.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0306.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	136.3 KB 
ID:	318120
    Last edited by Baltimoreed; 09-19-2023 at 10:20 PM.

Boolit Master

The original ground sterilizer was a solution of Sodium Perchlorate sometimes called TriOx on labels I am not sure if you can still buy it next best bet would be salt . I use Salt in the sandbox I keep up for the Grandkids it does need application a couple times in a summer depending on how much rain falls . I am not sure how much I use I sprinkle the area well will water softener granules . I Have a neighbor puts salt in a turkey fryer filled with water and brings it to a boil adding more salt until it does not dissolve then dumps it on an area. This can be dangerous as the mix can get very hot as salt and more hear is added.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    For single bushes or trees ,you cant beat picloram....sometimes sold as Tordon.

Boolit Bub
    I had used TriOx quite a few years in the past with excellent results but like firefly I'm not sure that it's even available anymore.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by JRLesan View Post
    Have a sand over compacted crusher run 'dust' riding arena that my wife has not used in years. Weed growth is a problem and heretofore I have been harrowing and spraying with Roundup on a regular basis. Looking for a soil sterilizer that perhaps would keep weeds from sprouting and yet would not leach into a nearby pond nor the surrounding soil. Any such thing???
    What you need is a pre-emergent spray. Most go down in Jan. and Feb. prior to breaking dormancy. Rezillon is new to the market; is not restricted so you dont need a license; but it is $350 a quart and a quart does 20 acres. I'm going to give it a whirl in Jan. due to a severe weed problem. There are other pre-emergents out there but they are expensive but they do work and the objective is to kill the seeds before the germinate; save you $'s in RRM43the long run!

RM43 by the quart is good for bare ground. It is not good if ya want to plant anything within the year.....The problem is seeds and many weeds put out 40,000 seeds per season....the secret is to kill the seeds and do not let the plants seed!
    Last edited by buckwheatpaul; 09-22-2023 at 05:36 PM.
    When guns are outlawed only criminals and the government will have them and at that time I will see very little difference in either!

"Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems man faces." President Ronald Reagan

"We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the law breaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is acoutable for his actions." Presdent Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

Herd of goats will keep any vegetation in check & turn ‘em into organic fertilizing pellets
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...