Inline FabricationLoad DataLee PrecisionRepackbox
Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Wideners Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips or suggestions to improve look of old stock repair

Tips or suggestions to improve look of old stock repair

Just got this old muzzle loader. It has a rather poorly done stock repair. Ideas or suggestions to improve the cosmetic appearance of the repaired area? The old gal has a pretty decent bore. Marked on the barrel unreadable name & MUZZY ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 61F81012-600D-4C11-AD3E-A3C0090B7A35.jpg   3F7208D5-44F1-4E00-9493-946C9F6E3536.jpg   40763FC1-EF86-4EB1-B7E2-354B193A7D09.jpg  

Boolit Master
    I really don't see why that stock could not be fully repaired and looking great.
    I would tear it down.
    Then try to see what type of glue they used to do the previous repairs.
    If possible.
    Soak the stock and pull apart the old repairs.
    Then you can rebuild it properly.
    But there are ways to just infill the bad spots on those repairs and it will look better but maybe not as nice.
    Tear the rifle down and post pictures.
    I bet we can guide you thru this project.

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    I really don't see why that stock could not be fully repaired and looking great.
    I would tear it down.
    Then try to see what type of glue they used to do the previous repairs.
    If possible.
    Soak the stock and pull apart the old repairs.
    Then you can rebuild it properly.
    But there are ways to just infill the bad spots on those repairs and it will look better but maybe not as nice.
    Tear the rifle down and post pictures.
    I bet we can guide you thru this project.
    My initial impression is a the glue was a modern glue like that Gorilla glue that foams a bit as it sets.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 87FC2CEA-DA0A-4E03-A570-67B3EC18AE78.jpg  

Figured out the maker Hitchcock & Muzzy Worcester Mass 1840-1857. Appears to be approx .44 cal. .445 ball will not fit in muzzle. Bare .433 will roll in.

Boolit Master
    Are you going to refinish the metal or just leave it to look like a part of history.
    The stock being damaged will bring down the collectors value.
    But it might be something great to fully restore if you can.

I will leave the metal as is. Does not have active rust anywhere Like old guns to show the honest wear they have earned thru the years. Makes em more interesting. Eventually will shoot it. Nipple looks good but probably needs replaced for a shooter.

Boolit Master
    I have heard about using acraglas for stock repairs, but I have no experience with it.

Silly spell checker inserted raglan for acraglas
    Last edited by CastingFool; 09-17-2023 at 03:21 PM.

Boolit Master
    If you are not going to totally rebuild it as a piece of history.
    I would suggest you glass bed the barrel into the stock.
    If properly done, it will reinforce the stock and assure that the barrel is fitting every time you shoot it.
    Look at some of the posts that I did where I bedded the barrels.
    The one post was for a Bubba'ed Barrel Repair and the stock that was on it was poorly inletted and cracked

I might just do that. At this point mainly looking to make the exterior more presentable. Fill in those nasty cracks and voids. Any suggestions for that? Thanks Tim.

Boolit Master
    You can fill the cracks and voids with epoxy also.
    You are not going to get the color to match perfectly.
    But it can be close.
    I have also filled dents with colored epoxy clay that I get at Home Depot.
    It is called JB Kwik Wood.
    It doesn't take that long to cure , plus sands down easily if needed.
    And is colored so it can be close to matching the wood
    Last edited by LAGS; 09-16-2023 at 09:34 PM.

Boolit Grand Master
    I know of no surefire 100% fix for all wood repairs, it seems to me like every stock is different.

My suggestion is to get a few pieces of wood that closely matches your stock, then break some of it apart and try the various fixes and see what looks best to you, before attempting the actual stock.

I think I could make a serviceable repair, but it would always show. There are probably some people that can make a serviceable and unseen repair.

Good Luck,

Robert

Thanks will see I can do to fill and match up color on the stock. 2nd task will be building a lollipop tang sight for it. Drilled and tapped for one. Have to figure the size and pitch for the present hole.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9F51B4B3-370C-4D88-906A-DB1AF2F45C8F.jpg  

If the old repair is sturdy, have you thought about an inlay of some sort? Something like brass or silver wire or even a brass or iron plate of some kind.
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.

I have seen the overlay of brass sheet tacked on as a stock repair. Something to consider as a last resort. I have taken out a lot of the surface glue in the exterior. At this point trying a walnut colored filler. When that has cured and sanded down will know if that’s the fix. Will post pics of my success or dismal failure.

Boolit Master
    Regular Wood Putty works to fill cracks.
    I use it mostly to build up areas to reshape the stocks whan I was building Blanks to use on a stock duplicator.
    The only thing I found with the wood putty is.
    If the finished areas are not sealed really well.
    Chemicals like oils and cleaners can soften the wood putty.
    But just be carefully and put on a sealing type finish like TruOil instead of Boiled Linseed Oil.

Found I had some walnut colored DAP wood putty and used that. Thru the years have learned to have a little tray of acetone and artist paint bush handy. Applying the acetone helps the putty be more workable and smooths and gets the filler into the cracks. Will post pics when done but looking real good now.

Boolit Master
    You are correct about thinning the putty with Acetone to get it to flow down into cracks better.
    Or brush the acetone on the top as you are working to make the putty more flexible while you shape the patch to fit well and smoother.
    Most of the stocks that I have repaired were more modern rifles.
    So patching with modern products didn't have as much noticable in the final finish.
    One thing I like about the Epoxy Putty is that it also works as a glue to not only fill the cracks , but glue up any voids.
    The epoxy too can be thinned and smoothed out with Acetone or Denatured Alcohol.
    Last edited by LAGS; 09-17-2023 at 12:55 PM.

I second the idea of glass bedding or reinforcing inside where it doesn't show to strengthen it, then use a dremel-type tool with a small burr tip to take out the top layer of the ugly glue on the outside. Fill it with Acraglas gel colored slightly darker than the surrounding wood. Darker is not as noticeable as lighter, and if you use linseed oil on the stock, it will darken naturally.

Boolit Master
    the very poor repair looks to be different widths. how about this; round file wide enough to get everything deepened to the same width; and the proper width of dowel rod. epoxied in. might have to do in sections. or better yet carefully cut and file out a 1/2 inch or so section the length of the repair and epoxy in the appropriate width rectangle piece of same shade wood. by the way, it looks like a gorilla glue repair. very bad stuff to fix anything!!

Here is the beginning of the face lift. Many layers of Truoil yet to go to smooth out completely
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6203F431-A5F7-43F7-AB4E-184A137536DC.jpg  

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast