Snyders JerkyRepackboxLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: New rifle, which sights?

Boolit Master

New rifle, which sights?

I recently purchased a Traditions Pennsylvania cap lock rifle. I wanted this rifle over the Pedersoli because the Traditions uses a 1:66 twist and the Ped uses 1:48. This will be only used for patched balls.

The sights are cheap, as you'd expect so I ordered a brass Skinner peep for the rear. My dilemma is what to do on the front. I can either put a nice brass blade and keep everything looking pretty, or I can put a butt ugly but very effective green fiber dot up front. I have a Rossi 92 with this set up and it's my most accurate rifle. I would like to hunt with it, which means low light but I'm not sure which way to go.

What does the peanut gallery think?

Boolit Master
    I put Hi Lighted front sights on a couple TC Hawkens that I intended to hunt with.
    Those front sights really help out if you hunt early in the morning or in the evening.

For me it would depend on if you plan to use as a hunting rifle or for use in muzzleloader matches. In general competition the rules do not allow peep sights ( I wish they did, would keep more older shooters in the game longer) for hunting go with the hi-visibility sight.

Boolit Master
    I was hoping you guys would talk me out of the ugly plastic sight on such a beautiful gun, but I guess practicality wins in the end.

I don't compete in anything so the rules don't apply to me. That's good to know though.

Boolit Master

Tradition or not, if one can not see to shoot, then all the fun is taken out of the shooting.

I am a bit over 70 and even years back was having difficulty seeing to shoot my old CVA Squirrel carbine, so I went to a bit more of a buckhorn type rear sight and then put on a red fiber Fire Sight for the front. Helped a bunch. Now wish that I had picked out a peep for the rear, and still might. I can see to shoot a peep sight if the front is bright enough.

For probably 10 or more years I had stopped shooting my 94 Win, .44 Mag., which was one of my favorite deer getters, because I just could not see to shoot it. Replaced the rear sight insert with a Peep insert and put on a red Fire Sight for the front. With the round sight protector hood on the front, the peep aligns perfectly with the hood and the Fire Sight red dot centered, it looks just like a match set up aperture sight. I not only can see to shoot it again, the thing is very fast to get on target as one's eye unconscionably centers the dot without even thinking about it.
    Last edited by HamGunner; 09-16-2023 at 07:28 PM.
    73 de n0ubx, Rick
    NRA Benefactor Life Member/VFW Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    I put Hi Lighted front sights on a couple TC Hawkens that I intended to hunt with.
    Those front sights really help out if you hunt early in the morning or in the evening.
    I have Fire Sights on my tree stand TC New Englander hunting rifle to accommodate my old eyes. Not precise for targets, fine for hunting. My Grandson shoots my Lyman GPR, with its fine front blade. We have a Skinner 'peep' rear sight on a .45-70, works well. hc18flyer

Boolit Master
    For hunting I would be practical. Whatever I could see better. Lost too many shots years ago due to low light and black sights.

My ML is a range only gun. Lyman peep rear sight and globe front sight with inserts. I don't care if it is 'traditional' or not. I even used a scope on it when developing loads.

FYI- I had to order a taller front sight for my TC New Englander with Williams 'Fire Sights', so I have enough adjustment. Otherwise I couldn't get my rear sight low enough for closer shots. I ordered the dove tail fiber optic sight thru Midway USA.
    hc18flyer