RotoMetals2RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Savage 110 now using Axis mags

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar

Savage 110 now using Axis mags

At my side job shop we just got in some new Savage 110's, and I noticed they ship with Axis mags. Compared them to mags from the Axis rifles in stock, 100% identical. There appears to be a second mag release on the trigger guard so maybe they can use the 110 mags as well. Axis mags are over priced, but 110 mags are way overpriced so I think it's a good thing. My Axis rifles feed slick as snot.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    I think Savage changes their magazine design every other year, and no two types of magazine will fit the same gun. They are worse than the people that build phone chargers! I bought a Savage 110 Varmint heavy barrel in 223 last year and it took me a month to find out the model of magazine that it uses. Then I looked around and they were sold out everywhere. It took me a year to locate a spare magazine, and I just got lucky on that one. I'm pretty sure that once a model of magazine goes out of stock Savage is in no hurry to make new ones, and I'm just as sure that sometimes they drag their feet for so long that that model becomes obsolete before they get to making any more.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Yes indeed. Far as I know any Edge/Axis mag will work in any Edge/Axis rifle as long as the caliber and action length is correct. I'm still planning to keep some spares in stock 'cause you never know when they will decide to change to something else. It also irks me how nearly every pistol maker feels the need to reinvent magazines when there are already so many good ones out there. For example, the new Springfield Echelon. Nice looking gun but why they couldn't keep using the tried and true XD mag is beyond me.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.