Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading Everything
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Repackbox Wideners

Thread: 1860 Uberti Cylinder Hand Replacement

Boolit Bub

1860 Uberti Cylinder Hand Replacement

Hey all ~

I learned a tough lesson last year… I was blazing away with my Uberti 1860 and having too much fun. It fouled and began to balk…but I “only had a few more shots to go…” and I broke the cylinder hand. I was shooting the Holy Black (Goex) and I should have probably shut down for cleaning after about 30 shots or so. Lesson learned…the hard way!

So I ordered a new cylinder and hand, tore the gun down and put it in, reassembled…and the gun won’t cycle at all once the pistol is all together. Have any of you had to do this? Is there some tweaking required or should I pass this over to a pro gunsmith?

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Boolit Buddy
    There might might be I would also make sure you didn’t get sent one for a pietta, and also make sure uburti didn’t change there revolvers since you bought yours, I know of of them has changed a few of them.

This is hard to tell without seeing the gun....I'd suggest the professional gunsmith. True, some modern day revolvers are made close enough to each other that a hand will fit right in, but I'd say that it's more the exception than the rule. Hands that lock the revolver up are usually too long. Fitting them is a tedious process, "cut and try" as they say.

DG

Boolit Buddy
    The cylinder and hand will need fitting, it may also change the bolt timing. I can fix these problems for you and tune the revolver plus correct the short arbor. PM me if interested.

Boolit Master
    What actually broke - the hand itself or the spring?

Boolit Bub
    Thanks for the replies, fellas. The spring broke on the original one and it was my fault. I aske Mike Bellivue on YouTube about it and he says to start filing and fitting too. It makes sense - when you try to cycle it - it seems to want to push the cylinder against the barrel and that *seems* to be tying it up...

Thanks again guys!