Lee PrecisionRepackboxInline FabricationLoad Data
Snyders JerkyWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Reloading Everything

Thread: Dillon Carbide Die -Ring Issue

Dillon Carbide Die -Ring Issue

Howdy everyone. I've recently got into power trimming and forming on my Dillon 1050 for 300 blackout from 5.56. The Dillon rapid trim die is the carbide and is mated with the honey badger/Bosche router. I've got the short toolhead and have tried various brass including factory 300 blackout.

I'm getting a nasty ring at the base of the case after running it up into the die (both with and without the trimmer). I can physically feel it and definitely see it. It almost looks like case head separation, but it's actually skimming and moving the brass and creating a ring. Like that base is to tight. It'll push that ring out enough that it actually even prevent the sized case from going into a Sheridan case gauge and Lyman ammo checker.

I also have a Lyman pro trim die and I don't get that issue. It sizes fine and no ring. I've also tried running my brass through a small base sizing die first which sizes fine, then when I put it into the Dillon die I get that ring at the base. Again I've tried with about 20 different headstamps and factory 300 blackout brass and get that ring only when in the Dillon carbide rapid trim die.

Anyone have or seen this issue? I saw one guy that had the issue with Dillon carbide 30-06 years ago but don't know the outcome.

It would seem that your die is defective. Contact Dillon. They will sollve the problem.
    To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, the trouble with many shooting experts is not that they're ignorant; its just that they know so much that isn't so.

Boolit Master
    Happens even when you lube it good?

Sent them a message earlier. Awaiting a response. Yep definitely using lube.

Yeah everything I've tried tells me something's up with the die. The carbide insert looks beautiful inside and mirror polished but maybe needs a hair honed out of the base cause there just a sliver of brass that rolls back. I'll post a pic shortly. The rest of the neck and body dimensions are good.
    Last edited by SSG_Reloader; 09-12-2023 at 09:44 PM.

After looking at the pic, it does look like the entire body is getting overly squeezed down not just the bottom. I'll measure at points up the body and compare it vs a small base die.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0307.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	317890Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0308.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	317891

Boolit Master

It looks like either your die is defective due to being excessively tight/narrow or due to lack of a chamfer leading into the die.

The only time I have had something similar was dueing case forming and the intermediate die had a very abrupt lead-in to the die chamber.

Dillon will take care of you in either case.

Escapee from The People's Republik of Kalifornia - Now in AZ, "Where Free Men Live!"
    Quote Originally Posted by SSG_Reloader View Post
    Howdy everyone. I've recently got into power trimming and forming on my Dillon 1050 for 300 blackout from 5.56. The Dillon rapid trim die is the carbide and is mated with the honey badger/Bosche router. I've got the short toolhead and have tried various brass including factory 300 blackout.

I'm getting a nasty ring at the base of the case after running it up into the die (both with and without the trimmer). I can physically feel it and definitely see it. It almost looks like case head separation, but it's actually skimming and moving the brass and creating a ring. Like that base is to tight. It'll push that ring out enough that it actually even prevent the sized case from going into a Sheridan case gauge and Lyman ammo checker.

I also have a Lyman pro trim die and I don't get that issue. It sizes fine and no ring. I've also tried running my brass through a small base sizing die first which sizes fine, then when I put it into the Dillon die I get that ring at the base. Again I've tried with about 20 different headstamps and factory 300 blackout brass and get that ring only when in the Dillon carbide rapid trim die.

Anyone have or seen this issue? I saw one guy that had the issue with Dillon carbide 30-06 years ago but don't know the outcome.
    I have the same issue with dillon 38/357, 40 winchester and (esp.) 30 carbine carbide dies.

The 40 is likely due to brass fired in Glock where head is not well supported.

It does help to lube the cases.
    Kalifornia passes "feel good" legislation hand over fist, legislation that is looking for a problem to solve and affecting only law abiding persons.

So, after 40 years of that nonsense, that's why I now live in Arizona.

Escapee from The People's Republik of Kalifornia - Now in AZ, "Where Free Men Live!"
    Quote Originally Posted by pcmacd View Post
    I have the same issue with dillon 38/357, 40 winchester and (esp.) 30 carbine carbide dies.

The 40 is likely due to brass fired in Glock where head is not well supported.

It does help to lube the cases.
    I think the ring is due to the "transition" part of the carbide ring that makes it easy to get brass more or less centered in the die.
    Kalifornia passes "feel good" legislation hand over fist, legislation that is looking for a problem to solve and affecting only law abiding persons.

So, after 40 years of that nonsense, that's why I now live in Arizona.

Boolit Grand Master

After looking at the pic, it does look like the entire body is getting overly squeezed down not just the bottom. I'll measure at points up the body and compare it vs a small base die.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0307.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	317890Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0308.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	38.7 KB 
ID:	317891
    Did you get this issue resolved and if you did what was the cause?
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Looks to me like a dirty die. Clean the die with a good bore solvent and a brush. Use good lube on a case and show us a picture after you run it in.

Boolit Master

Sent them a message earlier. Awaiting a response. Yep definitely using lube.

Yeah everything I've tried tells me something's up with the die. The carbide insert looks beautiful inside and mirror polished but maybe needs a hair honed out of the base cause there just a sliver of brass that rolls back. I'll post a pic shortly. The rest of the neck and body dimensions are good.
    Don't just send a message. Call them!

I've seen this issue come up on other forums with the exact same picture. While I can't offer a solution, you are not the first to report this. And, while I'm a big Dillon fan, just be aware your not the first with the issue, you're not the first to report it to Dillon, and there seems to be enough dissatisfaction in resolving the issue that it dissuaded be from buying a carbide die and to stick with steel.

Boolit Master
    GONRA's cured it with a OLDE (small sizing die mouth entrance radius)
    set of RCBS 9mm dies in my Dillon Progressive.

You will "pay a price" - sometimes must "finger guide" the case into the die.....