WidenersLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Load DataTitan ReloadingRepackboxSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: Hand Arthritis looking for a shotgun for home use

Boolit Master

Hand Arthritis looking for a shotgun for home use

Both my hands have Arthritis making shooting anything bigger than .32 ACP very painful. Am looking at automatic shotguns as left shoulder (fall off to many horses) will not let me rack my 870. Right now I have a double SxS load with a slug in one barrel and 000 buck in the other. Don't want to sale the farm just to buy a good shotgun. Need some input from people that has gone through the looking.

If you are going to look for a semi auto I would look at the turkish built models. Cost a whole lot less and that turkish walnut is some very nice stuff.
    https://thegunzone.com/best-turkish-shotguns/

If it was me, (and I have 3 870's, 12, 16 and 20) I think I would stick with the side by side.

Get yourself setup with some sort of ammo holder on it so you can reload fairly quickly.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Hi Warren-- sorry to hear about your arthritis. I just purchased two Turkish pump action shotguns in 12 Ga. from CDNN Sports. They come in at about $150 each, have the silver colored "marine coating" finish, but the interesting thing is that they have "spring assisted pump action." I have no idea exactly what that means-- does it assist on the backward or forward stroke? Should be here any day now, and I'll try to remember to give a report, or you can contact me via PM. I was considering a side-by-side double barrel with side hammer locks, but they seem to run around $1k, Czech or Italian, unless you can go with Chinese mfg. Really, not a bad choice, and it sounds like you've already got one.

DG

Boolit Master
    Shot SASS for years using the .44-40 rifle and pistols. When Arthritis hit I went to .36 Navies but still carried a 1911 knowing I had one good shot. It all went down hill after that. I have several Stevens SxS some with rabbit eared hammers and some internal hammers. The problem with the double is my hands can't load it as fast as I think is needed for home invasion.

For home a defense auto loader, I would recommend the Mossberg SA-20 International. It has ghost ring sights with a rail for mounting optics, sling swivels and replaceable chokes.
    https://www.mossberg.com/mossberg-in...rip-75780.html
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Grand Master
    I would look at what guys shooting 3 gun use. They will value reliability most highly and htat is what you want.

I think WR (Randy) Buchanan (moderator) runs in that crowd and he would be a good guy to reach out to.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

I have an AR15 with a Charles Daly .410 upper. Has a 5 round mag. I had one issue with one of the mags but it was replaced with no issues. A .410 for home defense makes sense to me. Just a thought for you. Good luck.
    Ron

Boolit Master
    My friend shoots 3 gun and it's Benelli, Benelli, Benelli. Runs very dirty but it's an inertia gun and likes higher pressure loads. The older guys have turned to the Mossberg 590 with managed recoil and polished action innards. Arthritis made me sell both my Benelli's (plus the crazy prices I was offered). I've tried a couple gas operated guns and reload to lighter target loads that function 100% in the guns. Been doing some reloading for the 410 in pump, semi-auto and double. It's great for up close work. Good Luck

410? Home defense? Guys, go rethink that. Get a 20 gauge at least. Not enough pellets or powder.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    410? Home defense? Guys, go rethink that. Get a 20 gauge at least. Not enough pellets or powder.

Really? I have witnessed a possum being destroyed with a .410, #6 shot, at 20 yards.

Moderator Emeritus

Think about it. You are talking about short distances within a room or a hallway and have a 5 round mag. Remember he is suffering from arthritis. I picked up a S&W 22 mag semi for my gf to use. 30 rounds and she can handle it just fine. She is tiny with small hands and is getting nerve damage from neck injury. We do what we can.

Boolit Master
    if your life is actually on the line your will to survive should allow you to overcome joint pain to fire a 12 gauge. if racking the 870 is problematic sell it and get something inexpensive like this one
    https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_...ro+series+12ga.
    if you cannot afford to get an 1100 or 1187

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    if your life is actually on the line your will to survive should allow you to overcome joint pain to fire a 12 gauge. if racking the 870 is problematic sell it and get something inexpensive like this one
    https://www.budsgunshop.com/product_...ro+series+12ga.
    if you cannot afford to get an 1100 or 1187
    This is what I mean. From 10 feet across the room a heavy leather jacket will stop that number 6 shot... we do what we can will get you killed. Get a dang auto 20 gauge, at least. Besides, you can't even find 410 ammo

The mossberg looks good, pistol grip might help, hip shots. I don't use a shotgun for HD -- yet. But I'd go 20ga. if I had to. Any slug/buck load is going to bang the shoulder!
    Whatever!

This is what I mean. From 10 feet across the room a heavy leather jacket will stop that number 6 shot... we do what we can will get you killed. Get a dang auto 20 gauge, at least. Besides, you can't even find 410 ammo

The .410 has less shot but they hit at the same speed as a 20 gauge. Ten feet away a leather
    jacket will not stop it - neither will a hog’s hide.
    But the handle on a .410 auto won’t be any easier to pull back than the 20 gauge- and shells are available- so I agree with you there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Small shot will penatrate at close distance. A friend of mine told about someone that was shot in the abdomen at close range with small shot. The shotgun shot through a board, victim's coat and leather belt. Evidently a dog knocked over a loaded shotgun stepped on the cross bolt safety and trigger.

MarkP nailed it IMO. I ain't even talking 6's, I'm loaded with 7.5 shot. At inside the house range it will blow a hole through anything but armor plate.

A long time ago we startled a pigeon out of on of dad's farm sheds. He pointed me at that pigeon and said no excuses, I want to see the dead body.

Well it flew some 100 yards from the building and I injuned up on it. Let fly from maybe 15 yards, hit it solid in the left wing. Which with all the skin, bone and feathers is a pretty tough target. Well that .410 round ripped a bloody hole through that bird you could stick a small fist into. "Bloody Rat Hole" was the term that came to mind.

And if you really don't think it will blow a hole in a leather jacket, I dare ya. Go to the second hand store, find a good leather jacket, and test it for yourself.
    Take the longest distance from your best cover location to your front door and double it. Hang the jacket on a post and let fly. Don't think you would want to be wearing it for that test.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

I sold my 870 Rem 20ga gun and my M-12 Win was way too much sugar for a dime on that action. I keep a Beretta 391 gas gun with an IC choke with four 3 inch 20 ga wih #3 buck. They have 24 - 27 pellets of 25 caliber per each. It has an extended operating handle with an extended flat lever bolt release. Has a palm pressure switch activated mag light mounted on a factory 20" barrel, regulated to 30 yards POI. At 75 yards it covers a red fox from nose to tip of tail. So far it is Beretta 5, Foxes 0 out the back screen door at 75 yards. The 20ga Beretta gas gun has low recoil, with light weight and a good punch, short and long barrels with interchangeable flush or extended chokes. Chrome lined barrels with full butt stock adjustment for height and cast. The loading port on the 20 Beretta 390-391 is 300% easier to actually use than the Benelli or Franchi guns. Have owned all three, the latter two went to a new home as did the pump guns.

I have a rebuilt shoulder with cadaver parts and stainless screws, Arthritis and spinal cord damage.

Within 100 yards, the 3" 20ga with #3 buck is a very bad hombre. Inside a a house it is bad to the bone.

The worse choice for a person with load, unload problems would be a SxS double extractor gun. Select ejectors would be a far better choice. I have both of those type of guns as well. The SxS guns do not get regular use.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0127.jpeg  
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    Thanks for the replies will look at a Beretta 391 and 1100