Snyders JerkyWidenersRotoMetals2Inline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: Need some input on a Spencer

Need some input on a Spencer

A Local collector is shedding his literal herd of guns. He has hundreds of firearms in his collection mostly originals from as far back as 1703. Anyway he has Model 1860 Spencee Repeating Rifle 30" barrel made in 1865. I was wondering if the .56-50 Spencer Cartridge exiting a 30" barrel is enough for deer hunting. I am sure that out of a 20" or 22" Carbine barrel the trajectory is lacking but what about a Spencer Rifle with a 30" barrel ? On a second note he is also selling a Providence Tool Company Martini Carbine chambered in .45-70 and its got US proof marks and U.S. yellow ordance paint on the stock. Are these rifles rare at all ? I know there was the Peabody rifle but this is a Martini Henry Carbine in .45-70 (Idk if it has Henry Rifling to make it a true MH but it looks like one). The wooden stock is in rough shape and the right tooth is broken on the extractor which I was told by the owner was common. Still throws shells though. I was wondering what prices would be good to offer for these two rifles. The owner is 91 years old and his children and grandchildren dont want the rifles just the money... which is sad as this man devoted a good portion of his life to this massive collection but as the saying goes "Money Talks, Merit walks". Thanks to all input added here.

Anything rifle 45 and above will kill the snot out of a deer! Even a round ball. I am shooting a 405 45-70 load @~1350 fps. Flips a deer at 85-100 yds. a 56 will do the same. This year I am going to shoot a 58 ML for deer. And would shoot an elk or buffalo with it.

PS: Jealous that you have a chance at a 56 Spencer! Highlight of my life was getting to shoot an original Civil War (in same family since) 1863 Sharps!

Boolit Master
    The Spencer rifle is a rimfire ,although you could make a CF block for it..........the Martini is more practical if you want to use it ...........I notice a Providence Martini carbine with a western provenance sold for nearly $50,000 recently

Boolit Master
    Though I've never shot a deer with my Spencer carbine in 56-50. I'm sure it would do the job if the bullet passes thru the vitals. Range will be limited by the rather rainbow like trajectory. I would be comfortable out to 100 yards or so.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

You have some work ahead of you getting the original rimfire Spencer converted to center fire, getting Starline center fire cases and proper bullets/mold to make a functional cartridge. But like others, big bullets kill. Hearing a 44 magnum completely “whomp” through a deers body cavity tells me size does matter.

Definately would take a deer. You can buy a centerfire block from c&h and cases are eavailable from starline

Boolit Master
    Kai, wish to know more about the c&h you mentioned for Peabodys. And the venter fire breech blocks. Thanks Frank

Boolit Master
    You can read of many game harvests with the Spencers over at the Spencer forum at CAS City.
    And speaking of Spencers --a mountain rifle!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=br5sxqKzzVA

Boolit Buddy

Easter: I have a St Louis Spencer rifle with a 30" octagonal to round barrel. They are not 56 caliber. They are a short 50 cal. I converted my rimfire Spencer Sporter to centerfire. I shoot Starline brass and use RCBS dies. The shell holder is the same as 50-70. I cast a 300 gr Rapine boolit sized to .515. The old girl weighs in at 11 lbs. Not a stalking rifle! My loads consist of nearly filling up the case with Unique. Haven't put the load through the chronograph yet. It is a mild shooter. Under 100 yards I figure I could bust Bambi.

Boolit Grand Master

I have shot and loaded for my Spencer carbine and can tell you that that big 50 bullet has way more punch at 100 yards than the 44-40. My groups with black powder run right at 4 inches at that range and blow right through a deer. Trajectory past 100 is way steep. I can't say for smokeless powder as I only shoot Swiss black in Star line cases.

Boolit Bub
    Can someone provide a link to c&h for the centerfire blocks?
    Thanks JP

Quote Originally Posted by Pfeifer View Post
    Can someone provide a link to c&h for the centerfire blocks?
    Thanks JP
    https://chtoolanddie.com/

For anyone interested S&S has spencer centerfire breech blocks for sale at $265 each.

Boolit Grand Master

With inflation as it is from our great minded leaders that is still a reasonable buy price. Bought our's years back and I could afford it still.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.