MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Sellers...read this!

Sellers...read this!

Hi Sellers--
    I'm the guy that puts most of your ads to bed in the Completed Deals section. Not sure how that happened exactly, seems it just came about. What I want to address is you folks who post something for sale, and then close the ad just a day or two later. I've even seen them closed the same day when posted. Here's my thoughts on this....some of your items are expensive, and some potential sellers might be waiting for payday or the inheritance from their late, wealthy aunt, income tax refund, etc. Sometimes the last post in the "WTS" ad seems to indicate impatience. You would be better served to leave the ad for at least a couple of weeks, and not to worry about closing it out, as it will automatically "go away" after 30 days anyway (see the S&S Rules and conditions). We want to see you sell your item(s), but once you close it out the chance is gone, and some of the WTS are closed very prematurely. I can see a seller changing their mind, or selling it elsewhere, but often that does not seem to the case. Once you put something up for sale, give it a chance!
    Respectfully,
    DG

Boolit Master

I closed a listing today that I later listed on another site. It was my understanding that a listing here is exclusive of other sites, otherwise I would have left it here.

You're right Sparky,

All sales here are to be exclusive and must be closed before posting on another site.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Hi Sellers--
    I'm the guy that puts most of your ads to bed in the Completed Deals section. Not sure how that happened exactly, seems it just came about. What I want to address is you folks who post something for sale, and then close the ad just a day or two later. I've even seen them closed the same day when posted. Here's my thoughts on this....some of your items are expensive, and some potential sellers might be waiting for payday or the inheritance from their late, wealthy aunt, income tax refund, etc. Sometimes the last post in the "WTS" ad seems to indicate impatience. You would be better served to leave the ad for at least a couple of weeks, and not to worry about closing it out, as it will automatically "go away" after 30 days anyway (see the S&S Rules and conditions). We want to see you sell your item(s), but once you close it out the chance is gone, and some of the WTS are closed very prematurely. I can see a seller changing their mind, or selling it elsewhere, but often that does not seem to the case. Once you put something up for sale, give it a chance!
    Respectfully,
    DG
    i am a long time member here. and over the years, i have seen the "common courtesy" trait, whither on the vine. Yes, we all lead busy lives, need to work 5 jobs to support hunters crack habit, yada-yada-yada. I am old school, and if I send a question to someone about something........... I expect at the very least, "I WILL GET BACK TO YOU SHORTLY". YES, life gets in the way. Yes ma-am, no ma-am, yes sir, no sir............ those days are gone, and so is my patience. If I make a mistake, politely advise me of that mistake, and I will quickly fix it.

I just dumped a box full of reloading stuff in the dumpster, no one wanted it, ok fine. i moved on.

Quote Originally Posted by sparky45 View Post
    I closed a listing today that I later listed on another site. It was my understanding that a listing here is exclusive of other sites, otherwise I would have left it here.
    This is the rule & I keep it in mind when posting items on this site. I too have closed "early" because I decided that I'd have a better sale chance on an another forum.
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Buddy

DG: I see your concern over ads. I usually mark my ads "SOLD PENDING". Then if the buyer does not send $$$ or forgets, I can remove my "SOLD PENDING" and wait for another buyer. If my buyer does come through, I remove the "SOLD PENDING" and mark it (SOLD). Do you then remove the ad when you see that an item has been sold or just leave it till the ad time expires? This is a great site! You guys manage it very well. I have bought some good pieces for my reloading room here.

Boolit Master
    I understand where you are coming from but my ad that I placed a couple days ago is a perfect example for why I might close it out early. Been up for two days, has had 278 views and not one person has inquired or even made an offer. The stuff is not free but it is not outrageously expensive either. I checked around for what each piece was selling for elsewhere and priced mine lower. Now, After that many views, and they are now dropping off, and no replies. I can guess nobody is going to buy and I don't play the "drop your price" game. I will let it go to the weekend and if nobody bites it is gone. But I want to sell it. Nobody here wants it I will go elsewhere. And I am not waiting a month to do so.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rickf1985 View Post
    I understand where you are coming from but my ad that I placed a couple days ago is a perfect example for why I might close it out early. Been up for two days, has had 278 views and not one person has inquired or even made an offer. The stuff is not free but it is not outrageously expensive either. I checked around for what each piece was selling for elsewhere and priced mine lower. Now, After that many views, and they are now dropping off, and no replies. I can guess nobody is going to buy and I don't play the "drop your price" game. I will let it go to the weekend and if nobody bites it is gone. But I want to sell it. Nobody here wants it I will go elsewhere. And I am not waiting a month to do so.
    I don't think chat is allowed in the Swap and Sell section, but I could be wrong.

Boolit Buddy
    Another side of the coin with higher priced objects to sell is one can very quickly become tired of the cheapskates and low ballers that are in abundance here . Causing a premature de-listing .

Quote Originally Posted by DDriller View Post
    I don't think chat is allowed in the Swap and Sell section, but I could be wrong.
    Not unless it adds the potential sale or purchase of the listed items. Those are OK.

The sort of: "Oh, my Grandpa had one of those", will be deleted as discussion that belongs in other places.

We all want the S&S section to work and be user friendly.
    The discussion restrictions and posters saying they want a thread closed is to try and keep S&S flowing, and be as trim,
    quick, and as easy to view the actual items as possible.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by fg-machine View Post
    Another side of the coin with higher priced objects to sell is one can very quickly become tired of the cheapskates and low ballers that are in abundance here . Causing a premature de-listing .
    With such a 'mature' crowd as we have, it just comes with the territory.

If something odd doesn't sell, let it go and fall off the page.
    I think the ad will stay in the archives. Years ago, I listed some .338 Weatherby brass I'd ended up with.
    I didn't get any takers, and forgot about it. About a year later, someone found my ad. on a web search looking for some.
    The guy joined the site, and his one and only post was to respond, and buy it.

EVERYONE!

I have looked at a lot of for sale posts with no intensions of buying, mainly curiosity also most times they have already been sold.
    When I do buy, I pay full price with no haggles, if the price is too high in my thinking, I just move on.

Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Hi Sellers--I'm the guy that puts most of your ads to bed in the Completed Deals section. Not sure how that happened exactly, seems it just came about.
    That's about 98% of what I do too.

For me, when No_1 checks,,, I can look busy----- without really doing much of the hard stuff.
    Plus, it is a good excuse to keep me out of those crooked BINGO parlors.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master
    Rick, fyi, I’ve looked at your ad twice every day trying in my mind to convince myself if I really need that chargemaster lite that I don’t have room for, but I never had one. I also look at other ads, but never asked anyone to drop a price either.
    Most of us old guys already have what’s for sale here and sometimes just look to see how prices have changed since the 90’s or longer for other more mature reloaders n casters.
    Stuff sells here but not always in a week or two. Being Christmas, most of us are waiting for our next SS check cause the grandkids emptied our pockets.

Mike

Boolit Master
    Understood Mike, I am 70 so I am kind of one of those "old guys". Making room is the only reason I am selling this stuff. It is not just this reloading stuff, I am also selling a lot of my M-151 military Jeep stuff. I cannot do the work on the vehicles like I used to so time to let it go. I would love to move my reloading operation out to my big shed if I can empty enough of the vehicle stuff out of it.

I appreciate the swap and sell here . Thank you mods for the work you do. I feel like swap and sell here is more a cup of coffee with friends deal not a retail experience . Transactions here may well be slower than a pawn shop or Walmart, but they're more pleasant . Two weeks doesn't seem that outrageous. Pacific tool , Brownells and starline all have taken that long to deliver for me in 2023.

Boolit Master
    MOD: How do I, for example add or modify my for sale post?
    I had sold several items, but cannot find way to mark them'"sold" or remove these items?
    Thank you
    beltfed/arnie

Hello beltfed--
    All you should have to do to alter/update your ad is to click on "Edit Post". A reminder--it is a violation of the Forum Rules to add things to a Want To Sell ad once it has been posted. The correct thing to do is to start another ad.
    DG

Well thank you for what you do, I don’t often flagged a completed sale thread to be moved. Is that preferred here?

Was this done so goobers didn’t bump a bunch of year or more old threads?

Quote Originally Posted by Brassmonkey View Post
    I don’t often flagged a completed sale thread to be moved. Is that preferred here?
    Flagging a thread to close it helps keep the S&S pages more 'clean'
    so everyone doesn't have to look at ads./deals that really are complete.

There are a lot that say 'sold pending funds'.
    I don't move them off the S&S page to completed deals, but other moderators might.
    If the buyer is a well established, long time member, ya just know the ad is done and should be closed.
    If I had a listing that was sold pending funds, I'd close it and if the deal ever fell through, I'd just re-list the item.
    Otherwise they'll stay up for everybody to look at and sort through until they fade away and fall off.

EVERYONE!