Snyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionWideners
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: 44-40 with small pistol primer pocket ????

44-40 with small pistol primer pocket ????

I was gifted some old ammunition for my 44-40 by a friend [24 pcs.]. The cases are Dominion Cartridge Co and appear to be original. They have a copper jacket and flat soft nosed bullet. I fired one out of my 1860 Henry and it seemed to like them just fine. In looking at possibly reloading these I found the primer pocket is way too small for a large pistol primer. I can't seem to trip over any info regarding these cases and small primers. I only fired the one cartridge so far but brass for this gun is hard to get right now......I am assuming a small pistol primer is what I will need to reload these cases. Anyone run across this before ????? I wouldn't think it would be a good idea to use small rifle primers. The pocket measures .173 wide by.125 deep....

Boolit Master
    Dominion was an old Canadian manufacturer. They wouldn’t necessarily have used standard small primers. Might be worth more to collectors.

Boolit Master
    Even old US made 44-40 brass can be found with both large and small primer pockets. I use pistol primers in mine.
    BIG OR SMALL I LIKE THEM ALL, 577 TO 22 HORNET.

Boolit Master

Dominion was good brass and most likely they were a standard small primer. Pop one out and see.
    Facta non verba

I got some 38 WCF ammo that was loaded with black powder. I pulled all the bullets, dumped the powder and then pulled all the primers. The box of fifty was small pistol primed - I reloaded the cases using magnum small pistol primers and smokeless powder. Yours are probably the same, I would use magnum small pistol primers. That's a great big case.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by bandanaman View Post
    I was gifted some old ammunition for my 44-40 by a friend [24 pcs.]. The cases are Dominion Cartridge Co and appear to be original. They have a copper jacket and flat soft nosed bullet. I fired one out of my 1860 Henry and it seemed to like them just fine. In looking at possibly reloading these I found the primer pocket is way too small for a large pistol primer. I can't seem to trip over any info regarding these cases and small primers. I only fired the one cartridge so far but brass for this gun is hard to get right now......I am assuming a small pistol primer is what I will need to reload these cases. Anyone run across this before ????? I wouldn't think it would be a good idea to use small rifle primers. The pocket measures .173 wide by.125 deep....
    As far as size small rifle and small pistol primers are the same size, I would think a standard small rifle primer would be ok as long as you did not start with a max load, I honestly think small rifle primers would have less priming compound then large pistol.. the only issue I could see you having is setting off magnum or military primers.