RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This danged heat

This danged heat

At least it won't melt the powder coating off my bullets. Need it to cool of a lot so I can enjoy a few days at the lease. Looks like it will be a 350 Legend hunt til I shoot something with it. Dove season is open but I haven't even upped my hunting/fishing license yet. Too darned hot to enjoy anything and have summertime cabin fever. Would like to start sleeping in and do some night hunting but my two Catahoula's think wake up time is the crack of dawn. Can't believe it is hot by 9am. And it's September already. I know but it is a rant about hunting and the plan is to use cast.

Yup, once it hits 105 I quit casting! Good news is that it's supposed to cool down next week and possibly rain!

I'd alloy up your boolits.
    The heat now will make them test out softer than you might want.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I got drawn for the county water authority land where the entire season is archery/crossbow with the goal of taking enough does to reduce residential foliage predations and collisions with the Beamers, Audis and Mercedes-none of which I own, BTW. The season opens this Saturday and tomorrow afternoon starting at 2:30 is the only day allowed for scouting of the parcel one draws. It's going to be 90 degrees. I'm 77 and it's going to be a very cautious process. As hot as the weekend is going to be I probably won't even hunt. What does one do with a deer down in that kind of heat? I want edible meat. GF

I’m all for the heat. It doesn’t seem to bother me like it does several others I know. Now winter will hurt me but I’m in Texas for a reason, short winters.
    The sooner I fall behind...the more time I have to catch up with

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Fox View Post
    I got drawn for the county water authority land where the entire season is archery/crossbow with the goal of taking enough does to reduce residential foliage predations and collisions with the Beamers, Audis and Mercedes-none of which I own, BTW. The season opens this Saturday and tomorrow afternoon starting at 2:30 is the only day allowed for scouting of the parcel one draws. It's going to be 90 degrees. I'm 77 and it's going to be a very cautious process. As hot as the weekend is going to be I probably won't even hunt. What does one do with a deer down in that kind of heat? I want edible meat. GF
    When hunting for deer meat I usually wait towards the end of the season hoping for cool enough weather that I don't have to leave, fill the deer with ice and head back to the house. Something I have had to do many times. Bow season hardly ever offers cool enough weather to not have to break camp and head home if you get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Half Dog View Post
    I’m all for the heat. It doesn’t seem to bother me like it does several others I know. Now winter will hurt me but I’m in Texas for a reason, short winters.
    I don't care for 105 when hunting at all. Cold bothers me less than the heat though and cold has benefits heat doesn't.

Boolit Master
    what does one do with a deer downed in this kind of heat. I guess you would have to get it to a game processor or slaughter house that has refrigeration as quickly as possible if you can keep the blowflies off while you're gutting and transporting it. unless you might have or know someone with a walk in cooler.
    I cant imagine trying to take game meat this time of year. ive pretty much given up on going outside and trying to get anything done in shorts even though its been in upper 80's and high humidity because in the past couple weeks it seems every kind of biting insect known to man has accumulated on my place to tear me up, take a piece of flesh and some blood or burrow under the skin every time I even go outside. it even seems deep woods off with deet is an attractant to these microscopic chiggers or whatever they are that burrow into skin as quick as you can light a match. part of reason I'm indoors on computer on a fine sunny day. first freeze cant get here soon enough
    Last edited by farmbif; 09-07-2023 at 04:01 PM.

The few times I've hunted when it was unusually warm, we put a couple bags of ice inside the deer.
    Then get it to a storage locker, or quartered/bagged, and into ice chests within the hour.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Been a hot one that’s for sure!

Hopefully it will ease up next week, so they say…….Need RAIN. Tank at ranch still holding water, but gone down 4 - 5 ft. Been putting out feed all year for deer. Afraid to go down there too much as the grass is like straw. Don’t need to start any fires. Ranchers without grass have been feeding hay for months now. It’s bad.

Boolit Master
    Bugs are still too active for me. I camped and did a couple hikes on Labor Day weekend. Picked up some chiggers despite spraying down.

Boolit Master
    I’ve been outside working for the past ten days and it’s been over 100 every day. Seems like around 2:30 in the afternoon is the worst, so I usually take a break for a while and cool off.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Meanwhile it was 28 degrees in Polebridge, Mt. on Wednesday night.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by waksupi View Post
    Meanwhile it was 28 degrees in Polebridge, Mt. on Wednesday night.
    Danged "Global Warming"; I mean "Global Cooling"; I mean "Climate Change". Ohhhh Dang - It must be Fall coming.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    Been so hot here in Va. I haven't even wanted to prep any traps for Yotes or check zero on any rifles prepping for any season. -06

Boolit Master
    I loathe the heat in Summer. People keep telling me that when you get old you'll like hot days better. I'm in my 60's now and I hate the heat even worse than I did as a kid. I love those days when it's mid 30's at sunrise and low 50's for the high with not even a hint of sunshine. I could go for years without seeing the sun myself and be perfectly happy. I've skipped several Opening days of deer season in recent years due to unseasonably warm temperatures. Can't even imagine hunting deer when it's this hot.

Boolit Master
    35 Rem; My thoughts exactly on the temp thing. I'm 62 & hate the heat worse also.

I bet the people in Hawaii are pretty fed up with the heat.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Master
    Warm here some say hot. Working outside last weekend, we were all fighting a cold/flu and it was rough. Had fence to fix and cows need to eat. Was in the 80-90 and very humid too warm to think about hunting. I don't like to shoot any deer above 45 degs let alone this heat.

It’s 95 at 9 pm here.
    I may go after some “tree pigs”with a light and a shotgun here in a bit.
    And I might not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast