Inline FabricationLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply Load Data

Thread: Are Caldwell chronographs any good?

Boolit Mold

Are Caldwell chronographs any good?

Yes, I am a tightwad and would seldom use it.

Are the Caldwell chronographs suitable for occasional use?

I will be shooting mostly 357, 44 mag and 45 Colt through both rifles and revolvers.

I use mine all the time and it works good. i’ve had it since 2017. they are worth the money. honestly i couldn’t imagine working up loads with out. it’s a great value piece of equipment. Are there better one’s on the market ? probably but, the caldwell works and is accurate enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by michael.birdsley View Post
    I use mine all the time and it works good. i’ve had it since 2017. they are worth the money. honestly i couldn’t imagine working up loads with out. it’s a great value piece of equipment. Are there better one’s on the market ? probably but, the caldwell works and is accurate enough.

Thanks ..... I think I will order one tomorrow.

Moderator Emeritus

Same. I liked mine. Get yourself some thin wooden dowels to use as screen supports. You can thank me later after you've shot one. I have picked up a LabRadar unit but haven't had time to use it as reloading took a back burner for a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    Same. I liked mine. Get yourself some thin wooden dowels to use as screen supports. You can thank me later after you've shot one. I have picked up a LabRadar unit but haven't had time to use it as reloading took a back burner for a bit.
    i shot 2 out 4 of my supports. didn’t snap them in half but, bent the very badly. luckily i bought replacements from caldwell this summer. there only like $3 a piece.

i didn’t even think about dowels. that would be a quick local replacement idea

Boolit Master

Keep fresh batteries with it. When you start getting funky readings replace the batteries. By the way the app for the phone will only work for a bit. They don't upgrade when phones upgrade. Mine doesn't work with my new phone's app.

Boolit Master
    I like mine as well. Yes, I have shot a support-- replaced it with a piece of steel rod from a hardware store. I had one problem with mine-- the display stopped showing the far left digit-- called them on the phone and they mailed me a new plug-in display at no charge. Great product and good service.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master
    Yep, the less expensive ones work fine.

FWIW, after I shot my first one, many decades ago, I got a piece of 1" lexan and put it in front of the chrono.

Just have to pay attention to setting it up and the sun location. I got so frustrated with mine (I shoot at sunrise) that I got a Labradar (I use a chrono a LOT).

Boolit Master
    I recently bought the Premium Chronograph Kit and so far am well pleased with it. The Kit gets you a tripod and also I think it's the only one with LED sunshades. I'm only using it for 1 at a time velocity readings so can't give any input about the other features.

My only other Chronograph was an original Chrony bought back in 1988 when I had a 22 CHeetah and was obsessed with knowing I had achieved 4,000 ft/sec. It worked fine until just a few months ago.