Inline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
WidenersLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyReloading Everything
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Remington M700 question

Remington M700 question

I recently purchased a used older M700 in very good condition. This is my first mz. I know the Ultimate uses the UML Remington ignition brass loaded with a Remington 8 1/2 large rifle magnum primers. I was looking at the manual for my M700 and it uses #11 percussion caps inserted in the nipple (forgive me if I’m screwing up the terminology), however, I see no nipple in the breech plug. The breech plug actually fits a 209 shotgun primer, but I suspect that’s not correct.

So what do I use as the ignition source?

Can anyone point me in the right direction? I plan on shipping the bolt off after this season to Badger Ridge. Here’s what the breech plug looks like:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Last edited by M-Tecs; 09-07-2023 at 04:26 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master

Please correct me if I am wrong...I believe there have been 2 iterations of 700 MLs. the first ones which I believe you have are not rated for magnum charges. The 700 Uultimate ML is a centerfire action based ML with full centerfire bolt lugs. I do not believe your version has the bolt lugs to contain magnum charges should the breech plug fail. Again, going off of memory. I have seen both versions in the past. The first, standard charge ML version had a 209 conversion kit for it.

Boolit Grand Master
    Your 700 ML is a very strong action. Just load for accuracy and you'll be very happy. Take good care to clean well and disassemble the bolt for a through cleaning. Corrosive deposits accumulate within. The first few disassemblies were difficult for me, but the learning curve kicked in and now it's a walk in the park.

Quote Originally Posted by 725 View Post
    Your 700 ML is a very strong action. Just load for accuracy and you'll be very happy. Take good care to clean well and disassemble the bolt for a through cleaning. Corrosive deposits accumulate within. The first few disassemblies were difficult for me, but the learning curve kicked in and now it's a walk in the park.
    I’m just trying to figure out what ignition system this is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    that looks like it was converted to 209 a common thing with those rifles
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

If it will fire a 209, you're set. That was a popular conversion to do with them. Hopefully they did the bolt face too so it has a firing pin and will work.

Boolit Grand Master

It has the Remington 209 OEM nipple. That was not a very good system. That is the reason for the various aftermarket kits. Again, it is illustrated and explained here

https://www.badgerridgeind.com/badge...original-alive

I've converted 5 or 6 to this type of system. I used the Arrowhead version but that not made anymore.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Grand Master
    I just pulled off the nipple for #11 caps off the breechplug and replaced with a nipple that uses musket caps, on my 700ml