RepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Lee Precision

Thread: I am confused about boolit lube

Boolit Mold

I am confused about boolit lube

I have read on several forums and watched many YouTube videos and am more confused than ever. I have one simple question ....

Will LLA or 45-45-10 be enough lube for 357 and 44 mag gas checked boolits cast from COWW and fired at max velocities from a 20" rifle barrel?

I know this might seem like a stupid question but I am serious. Please help if you can.

Not to be snippy, but if you have both lubes on hand, give it a test and report your findings. There’s more to you question not mentioned and that’s the size of the bullets in relation to the groove diameter and the condition of your barrel. Even the powder will influence the outcome. One persons results may or may not match your rifle under your conditions

Boolit Grand Master

You don't have enough information to make an educated guess. Bullet weight? Rifling type? Bore diameter and condition? I have driven 200 grain .359" bullets and 265 grain .430" out of my rifles with cases full of 296 with no leading and decent accuracy using 45-45-10, Lars Xlox and LLA.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master
    Too many variables to answer ?? So when you try ? If you get leading at the breach / chamber end; then your bullet is not upsetting and you are getting gas cutting and leading; Now if you are getting leading at the crown / barrel end; Then you are not carrying enough lube ?? This will give you a starting point ??

Boolit Mold
    Thank you all for the help. I already have LLA and have ordered White Label Lube's 45-45-10. The only thing I have ever done was powder coating and it turned out great. I am just looking for something a little less labor intensive.

Boolit Master
    I don't have a 20" barrel .357 mag. but I do have an 8 inch barrel .357 max and I load 155 gr. gas checked bullet 0.001" over groove diameter using 50/50 at almost 1800 fps, probably faster than your bullet in .357 mag in the rifle unless you are using light bullet. I don't have any leading problems. I think lube is not going to be a problem for you unless you have chosen the wrong bullet but, you said it was a gas check bullet, so I am thinking your bullet was meant to go fast.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides

I would go with the 45/45/10 or Ben's Liquid lube. I have had no issues with BLL in .44mag rifle but I was not pushing the speed.

6.5 grains of Red Dot under a 200 or 240 gr gas checked cast bullet gave me wonderful accuracy, low noise and recoil.

The 45/45/10 has some carnuba wax in it which makes a hard shell over the lube so they don't pick up so much dirt/lint, etc.

Also you'll love how it leaves your bores looking like a mirror.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Me and LLA didn't get along well. What I did use of it was fine but I didn't dilute it far enough and it remained a sticky mess .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Master
    Ben's liquid lube is all I use with my Henry 357 rifle at full loads, gas-checked. Never seen any leading.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Grand Master

The condition of the barrel and how it was rifled play a huge part in if a lube / boolit will lead the barrel . EDM rifled barrels are terrible leaders , cut rifling that has been hand lapped or smoothed by years of shooting will lead the least .

And they ain't but one way to find out what works and what don't work ...

...CHOOT EM' ...

And do use gas checks ...they make your life so much easier .
    Liquid Lubes can work but there are no guarantees . Ben's Liquid Lube is probably the best .
    I gave up liquid / tumble lubes because I discovered sizing and fit of boolit to bore was extremely important in getting no leading in a barrel .
    A Lyman 450 sizer and lubricator got mine sized , gas check crimped and lubricated all in one cycle of the handle and solved my problems .
    I can also recomend Lithi-Bee Lubricant ...
    Lithium Grease 1-part (Lucas Red-N-Tacky) + Beeswax 3 parts , I have had no leading in rifle or handgun when boolits are lubed with Lithi-Bee ...
    Rifle and magnum handgun get gas checks .

Good Luck ,
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Banner Sponsor

I have used 45-45-10 with moderate 45 colt loads at around 1500+fps in a 24" barrel with good results. Plain based 265 lfn .
    For max loads, I would probably go with a gas check and traditional lube like Carnauba Red or Blue, both have been pushed to over 2800fps in slow twist 30 cal rifles.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by bluesman423 View Post
    I have read on several forums and watched many YouTube videos and am more confused than ever. I have one simple question ....

Will LLA or 45-45-10 be enough lube for 357 and 44 mag gas checked boolits cast from COWW and fired at max velocities from a 20" rifle barrel?

I know this might seem like a stupid question but I am serious. Please help if you can.
    Not a stupid question.
    From my experience, LLA and/or 45-45-10 is good for low pressure loads only, if you want to avoid lead fouling.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    it doesn't have to be confusing. bullet size is important. bullets cast of clip on wheel weights with a bit of tin added. I lube size 357 mag cast bullets at .360. 44 mag, 44 spl, and 444 boolits at .431. both gas checked and non gas checked, the only lube ive used for many years now is carnauba red. both calibers shot in different rifles and pistols, never have any problem with leading.

Glen Fryzel/Robert Applegate/John Taffin not in print but PDF is still out there From Ingot To Target I was in your boat awhile back but I was needing to bridge my worlds Black Powder and Groove Lube. There is a recipe shared by RECOIL THERAPY (as well as the Title of the book). I picked it up drowning out all others I read the book figured the recipe presented was what I needed. Have not regretted it