Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLoad Data
Inline FabricationRepackboxWidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading Everything Lee Precision
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yankees in Texas

Boolit Master

Wife and I just came thru Del Rio from SA a couple of weeks ago. Hwy 90 is my favorite drive home from SA, usually no traffic, just easy cruising, watching the landscape go by. You will be fine, most here are more irritated by the people coming from the south than the ones coming from the north. Where I'm at it's rare to hear what I call a Texan accent, seems everyone here is from somewhere else, but when I do it is most enjoyable to listen to. Enjoy your trip!

Needed to edit: 100% what Winger Ed said, small towns are the best, and don't be afraid to say hey to the guy pumping gas next to you. some of my best conversations have been there or standing around at HEB.

Quote Originally Posted by lancem View Post
    Where I'm at it's rare to hear what I call a Texan accent, .

We don't have an accent.
    However; I've found that people from other places do.

Another exception:
    I was in Mexico City, Mexico some years ago.
    Those South Texans down there have such a hard accent,
    you'd think they had a different word for everything.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    My wife has such a Boston accent that people around here make fun of her.
    We were at a Crow Reservation a few years ago and the female Crow guide kept staring at my wife when she spoke. The girl said that she could listen to her accent for hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    My wife has such a Boston accent that people around here make fun of her.
    We were at a Crow Reservation a few years ago and the female Crow guide kept staring at my wife when she spoke. The girl said that she could listen to her accent for hours.
    I used to work with 2 guys from Boston at 2 different duty stations.
    They were a hoot. I could sit and listen to them read the phone book.

One guy was assigned to NAS Dallas when he rotated back from Japan.
    While on leave, his Dad told him he might want to try and get out of those orders.
    During WWII his Dad came through Texas on a troop train.
    He told his son that all the pick up trucks he saw in Texas had guns in the back window.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 09-05-2023 at 07:58 PM.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master
    FYI,

In addition to Mexican food and Texas BBQ, there is one fast food choice in Texas that is "special".

I am a Texas native that now lives on the East Coast. In conversations with my relatives in Texas, it appears that many people like me tend to have a similar "routine". When we land in Texas, we hit the nearest Whataburger to the airport on the way to our next destination. And it seems there is always one "on the way" regardless of travel direction . There are 57 locations In San Antonio:

https://locations.whataburger.com/tx.html).

It is really not that "great", but it has become something to look forward to every time I go back.

My Florida friends explained Yankees as folks east of the Dakota's , north of Virginia and with states in the west and north of Texas being another kettle of fish. Gp

Boolit Master
    I got a 3 yr old dog in December at a shelter in NH - he had been a stray in Texas. He loves it up here, especially the snow and cold.
    I get weather updates almost every day from my sister in AZ. I don't know how you do that heat.

I spent a lot of time working with a partner company in Texas, and yes, I am a Damn Yankee (and proud of it). Being from Maine....everyone is a southerner.
    I remeber telling someone at work that my boss from the Boston area had a southern twang and they asked me if I had heard him...thats not a southern twang. I said, when you grow up in Maine....it's a southern twang. I was working for my company oin Pennsylvania and my Grandfather (of he "Finest Kind...Ayuh type) asked if I was still working on the deep south (Pennsylvania).

When working in Texas...they would tease me about being a damn yankee. So I decided to try and fit in better (and tease them back) ....went to Sheplers and got me some cowboy spurs and wore them in to work with my docksiders and polo shirt. Oh they had a fit! They agreed to stop teasing me if I hung up the spurs. Seems that was sacrilege!

Quote Originally Posted by hwilliam01 View Post
    I spent a lot of time working with a partner company in Texas, and yes, I am a Damn Yankee (and proud of it). Being from Maine....everyone is a southerner.
    I used to work for a company headquartered in New Orleans.
    They considered everyone North of Interstate 10-- which runs just above/through New Orleans as a Yankee.

If ya ever wear 'em again--- remember not to squat while wearing spurs.

EVERYONE!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    They considered everyone North of Interstate 10-- which runs just above/through New Orleans as a Yankee.
    I was raised El Paso, Biloxi, Gainesville, Fla. I mentioned that folks North of I-10 were Yankees to some folks in Va. and NC. It didn't go over real well. If they pick hash browns over grits is a better determination. Or ask for scraple.

Boolit Master
    An old army buddy called me a michigan gritter , cuz I would have grits for breakfast every morning, while at Benning.

Boolit Master
    We were in a restaurant in Minot, ND a few years ago. I ordered a turkey dinner, and asked for cranberry sauce on the side. What is a turkey dinner without cranberry sauce? What is peanut butter without jelly? Anyways, the waitress was confused - why would you pour cranberry juice on a turkey? No, sauce, not juice. No one had ever heard of cranberry sauce.

If we visit next year, it'll most likely be to Oklahoma.

I live three miles from the Rio Grande River in Deep South Texas. Everybody North of the Border Patrol checkpoints (Sarita and Falfurrias) is some kind of foreigner or yankee.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

We live a thousand miles north these days.
    A family member up here asked me if I missed Texas.
    I had to tell her that no, I miss what Texas used to be.

Boolit Grand Master
    Dad was stationed in NH for 4 years when I was little. When he was transferred I was teased because of my accent as it was pretty thick and some couldn't understand me. Fast forward 50 years and went back to NH for a quick visit with the wife, to see fall colors. Went to the home town and walked in a restaurant and just listened to people talk. Wife was looking at me, wondering what they were saying most of the time. Pretty thick accents. Had to smile and say I understood every bit of the conversations. Walked over to a group of guys having morning coffee and got some funny looks at being interrupted by a "tourist". When I told them I used to live there and wasn't the street I lived on just around the corner and down a few blocks (it had been 50 years). They kind of smiled then and said the street hadn't moved. I was no longer a "tourist" to them.
    I guess I am part Yankee and part Southerner (bunch of family from Texas, Grandparents lived in San Antonio). Air Force brat, so not one place as "home", but Oklahoma (other Grandparents) and Texas come close. Loved the Hill Country and almost moved there, but the heat/humidity was a bit more intense than I cared for.

Boolit Master
    NH- must have been Pease. I can see it from the hill at the end of my street.
    Two of my grandkids were born in Minot.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by gpidaho View Post
    My Florida friends explained Yankees as folks east of the Dakota's , north of Virginia and with states in the west and north of Texas being another kettle of fish. Gp
    Western Minnesotans have the Dakota accent... not the long drawn out O Minnesota accent the eastern and northern part of the state has!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CastingFool View Post
    An old army buddy called me a michigan gritter , cuz I would have grits for breakfast every morning, while at Benning.
    Some folks realize the error of their ways.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Battis View Post
    In a few weeks, we're flying into San Antonio and driving to Del Rio (and back). Should we hide our Bars-tin accents?
    Gotta pack my carpet bag for the trip. Looks like a pretty good ride. I've traveled around the West alot but never made it to Texas. Back East, Texas has a certain aura attached to it. Wish I could see more of it.

Losing my mind - this should have been posted in Our Town. Can it be moved?
    I think the naitives are more concerned with their visitors from the south. As always, listen more than you talk and don't drink too much.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2John2023.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	317696Click image for larger version. 

Name:	John2023.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	317697 Just got back to Mississippi from San Angelo Texas for the annual opening day Dove Season. White Wing's were really flyin this year. Took the grandson with me, who lives in Midlothian, where the steel mill is that myself and my son ( he still works there) for 20 years. I meet up every year with old work mates and other retiree's like myself. I was stationed at Ft. Hood 66-68. I wasn't born there, But I got there "As soon as I could" All the grandkids born there. Used to have extended family in Longview and spent a lot of time there over the years. Went to the museum the first time I visited.
    Somebody's driving to Del Rio, you better make time to visit Judge Roy Bean's old place. " The only law west of the Pecos"
    San Antonio Texas? You better visit sacred ground...........................and pay your respects.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast