Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingLee Precision
RepackboxInline FabricationLoad DataSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Stoddard solvent substitute

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately

Stoddard solvent substitute

My parts washer tank needs to be topped up, so I went looking for the usual Stoddard solvent that I have used for the last 35 years. HOLY MOLY Andy, the price is STUPID!!! I don't use it enough to even consider the ridiculous prices so I'm looking for an economical substitute.

I don't know how my pump and tank would stand up to water-based solvents, plus it is in an unheated area so I would need to empty it after every use in the winter. VERY inconvenient! Push comes to shove, I'll just dump what I have left and forget about it.

Anyone have any ideas for a reasonably priced alternative?
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

mineral spirits - paint thinner - look up an MSDS for stoddard solvent - if you are near an auto repair facility that has Safety Kleen service their washers the drivers will usually give you some used solvent - from another forum - hope this helps -

[ I get impression that "Stoddard solvent", "Mineral spirit", "Mineral Turpentine", and "White spirit" are all the same. ]
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

The problem is Safety Kleen will not go to a residential neighborhood anymore, and they also will not remove fluid unless they are the supplier. So if you plan to use Safety Kleen you need to know someone with a business where the filling and disposal can occur.

I had a friend who found that diesel fuel is a viable alternative to Stoddard Solvent. Then he tried calling Safety Kleen to dispose of it after it was dirty. They don't do that.

I recommend you bite the bullet and call Safety Kleen.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
    mineral spirits - paint thinner - look up an MSDS for stoddard solvent - if you are near an auto repair facility that has Safety Kleen service their washers the drivers will usually give you some used solvent - from another forum - hope this helps -

[ I get impression that "Stoddard solvent", "Mineral spirit", "Mineral Turpentine", and "White spirit" are all the same. ]
    I have heard it is mineral spirits as well.

In any case, most municipalities have a few days a year that take solvents for disposal. If Safety Kleen is what you decide to get, getting rid of it should not be too difficult.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by Tall View Post
    The problem is Safety Kleen will not go to a residential neighborhood anymore, and they also will not remove fluid unless they are the supplier. So if you plan to use Safety Kleen you need to know someone with a business where the filling and disposal can occur.

I had a friend who found that diesel fuel is a viable alternative to Stoddard Solvent. Then he tried calling Safety Kleen to dispose of it after it was dirty. They don't do that.

I recommend you bite the bullet and call Safety Kleen.
    my reference was to obtaining a small used quantity from repair facility that uses it - before i retired my service manager would get a gallon of used when they replaced it in our 9 parts washers + he would strain it thru paint filters for use in parts washer at his home -
    never pick a fight with an old man - if he is too old to fight he will just kill you -
    in this current crisis our government is not the solution , it is the problem ! -

ILLEGITIMI NON CARBORUNDUM

as they say in latin

Boolit Grand Master

Roysha,
    If you can convert your parts washer to a separate tank, A simple drain hose into the open top and a quick couple to the pump. You an then easily take the tank with water based solvents to a warm area when needed. A 2 gallon gas can or bottle would work. If the opening is big enough then both lines could run down thru it. I use simple green precision in my parts washer with this type set up. Takes about 2 mins to hook up and disconnect. Also when cleaning the tank you can easily take the tank out

Boolit Master

Most places near me us diesel.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Diesel stinks, though.

Safety-Kleen has to be Haz-Mat licensed, and has to account for every gallon. Been that way for decades.

Naptha is about as close to Stoddard solvent as you will find.

WD-40 principle ingredient is Stoddard Solvent.

Take it from there.....
    Cognitive Dissident

Not showing me a price.......
    Cognitive Dissident

Cast Boolits Owner

$49.95 at my local TS Store and available from 8 of the 9 stores which surround me.
    "The only way to deal with an unfree world is to become so absolutely free that your very existence is an act of rebellion."
    - Albert Camus -

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Thank you for that link.

There is a TSC just 9 miles down the road from me and they claim to have it in stock, so I'm going to check it out.

I don't know why it never came up what I did a search for parts cleaning solvents. Most everything I found was that much or more per gallon.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Stoddard solvent is aliphatic mineral spirits if you search by the generic chemical name.

But as parts cleaner I have successfully used K1 kerosene as well as Jet A turbine fuel.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
    Stoddard solvent is aliphatic mineral spirits if you search by the generic chemical name.

But as parts cleaner I have successfully used K1 kerosene as well as Jet A turbine fuel.
    Worked in a refinery for years and this is spot on...

Boolit Master
    From the Klean Strip Kerosene SDS:

Stoddard solvent {Mineral spirits; Aliphatic
    Petroleum Distillates; White spirits} 80.0 -100.0 %

About $16/gal and some places sell it by the quart.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    Klean Strip Odorless Mineral Spirits SDS

Hydrotreated light distillate (petroleum, mineral
    spirits) 100.0 %
    Last edited by charlie b; 09-07-2023 at 10:16 PM.

Boolit Master

I use diesel due to price.. odorless kerosene would work.. mineral spirits with or without naptha would work...

Boolit Master
    Not all "mineral spirits" are equal. I used "odorless mineral spirits" interchangeable with Stoddard Solvent in the tannery for years.

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.
    Quote Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post

Just for information's sake, Jet A is kerosene and naptha. As a cleaning fluid, works very well, and dries off better than diesel. Still a tad oily, when dry, if you are going to paint the surface.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.