RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Lee PrecisionLoad DataRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Reloading Everything Inline Fabrication
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Silly Asking Prices

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by shtur View Post
    I'm mostly a hand gunner and look at the two most popular handgun forums in addition to this forum. Members of the two handgun forums state it is better to shop on gunbroker than to waste time and entry fee money at a gun show. I agree with them. There are some overpriced handguns on GB, but I have bought a few excellent priced handguns on GB this year and last.
    To me, gunshows are much like a farm/estate Auction, it's a social event, buying guns is a side benefit
    If I didn't enjoy the socializing of a gunshow, I'd agree with you and your friends/members of those other forums.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    To me, gunshows are much like a farm/estate Auction, it's a social event, buying guns is a side benefit
    If I didn't enjoy the socializing of a gunshow, I'd agree with you and your friends/members of those other forums.
    I, by birth, heritage, and environment, grew up enjoying haggling. I thought it was a regional Ozark, or Southern Uplands thing, but I was in London, England on Petticoat Lane, and discovered it was not just in the Southern uplands, but maybe world wide. I saw a British Army sweater tagged for 4 pounds. I offered him two, and he replied with the words of the craft: "That's less than wot I've got in it". So we settled on 3 pounds. At local gun shows I usually know most of the dealers and know most have some built in wiggle room, and I also enjoy the visiting.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Grand Master
    Sometimes you can get stuff at a gun show a lot cheaper than GB. If I see something I want, I figure out what its worth to me and ask what your bottom dollar is, if its close, I will tell them my thought of what I would pay. Sometimes I walk away with the item, sometimes I just walk away.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    The first car that I purchased was a 1972 Delta 88 Oldsmobile with a 455 engine. That was in July of 1976. That has at the height of Jimmy Carter's oil crisis. The dealership first listed it at $1,795.00. A couple of weeks later they dropped the price to $1,595.00. A couple of weeks later they dropped the price to $1,395.00. I had just turned 16 at the time. I had a buddy give me a ride to the dealership. After about an hour I was ready to agree to $795.00 but the salesman stated that if I could not afford it, I should be looking for something cheaper. That ticked me off so 2 hours later I agreed to purchase at $595.00. The general manager had to step in. When it came time to pay you should have seen the salesman face when I pulled out 30 $100 bills. At the time I was making $1.95 pumping gas after HS.

Later when I was in college, I need a different used car. They were asking $3,995.00 for the one I wanted. Four hours later it was mine for $2,500.00

Back to gun shows. The last hour on Saturday is very good since lots of the sellers have their eye on something they want cash on hand for Sunday morning before the show is open to the general public. On Sunday the last hour is very good also but that can be more hit and miss.
    I used to drive my Dad’s Delta 88 about that same time.

That thing held enough teenagers & beer to be an Octoberfest on wheels.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jtarm View Post
    I used to drive my Dad’s Delta 88 about that same time.

That thing held enough teenagers & beer to be an Octoberfest on wheels.
    Mine was a 2 Door. Back seat was tiny. The front hood made a great bed. It did haul 3 kegs and 37 case of beer one night. With the 455 it was surprisingly quick in a 1/4".
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    The last one I went to was like paying $20 to get in to a Black Friday sale.

Table upon table of the same “tactical” crap.

Boolit Grand Master

Entry ticket prices for guns shows in this area are $6 to $8 depending on vendor.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 09-06-2023 at 12:53 PM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    Was at a local gun show and found a nice Win 30-30. Asked if he would remove the wire tie so's I could check the barrel. When he told me he didn't have anything to cut it with handed a small side cutter and another tie. Still refused. Ok, next table over the dealer did remove the wire tie and I replaced it with one of my own. The other dealer looked really ticked off. I said to him, you had your chance. I still have that old Winnie. Frank

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by Jtarm View Post
    The last one I went to was like paying $20 to get in to a Black Friday sale.

Table upon table of the same “tactical” crap.
    There are still some great gunshows, at least in my area.
    Ours is later this month...$5 admission, free for kids under 12(with an adult).

https://gunshowtrader.com/gun-shows/...ow-and-knives/

Maybe look for shows that are at least 75 miles away from a major city.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master
    Common scenario that plays out is a old man dies the old lady has zero idea the value of their husbands stuff. So the guy talks he I to selling it to him so he “reduce her burden”. Then he tries selling the deadman’s stuff for ridiculously high prices to turn a high profit. Happens with everything like antiques etc…disgusting practice but it is common. I have reduced my collection significantly and gave guns to my sons they get what’s left over. If they sell that’s on them what do I care I will be dead …….. lol

Panic buying with Biden Economics in play everything costs more these days. Anti-gunners drive up our costs significantly.

Boolit Master
    Heck, have you looked at house prices these days? They haven't come down since lumber prices spiked a while ago.

As far as gunshows go, I show 'em the money I'm willing to pay. I tell them that all I've got is x amount of money but....I've got it right here!
    IT AINT what ya shoot--its how ya shoot it. NONE of us are as smart as ALL of us!

Quote Originally Posted by murf205 View Post
    As far as gunshows go, I show 'em the money I'm willing to pay. I tell them that all I've got is x amount of money but....I've got it right here!
    A mournful "It's all I've got" worked for me on occasion.
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    Heck, have you looked at house prices these days? They haven't come down since lumber prices spiked a while ago.
    Why would they, in the last 3 year 5-6 million new permanent residents, they all need a roof over their head.
    These men and their hypnotized followers call this a new order. It is not new. It is not order.

Boolit Bub
    First and foremost, when haggling, is not to come off as being a jerk. The seller's hackles rise and you lose leverage. If I see something that I wish to haggle over, I make every attempt to genuinely come off as being pleasant and not critical of the item or it's price. I usually say that I am interested in something that another vendor has as well, and that I have enough funds to purchase that item or the item I am currently looking at. Then I ask what the best price the seller can offer me to sway my decision. I have bought several guns off of Gunbroker, but you have to factor in your state sales tax, if applicable, the ffl fee, and shipping/insurance which can add up to a considerable amount, which makes a purchase at a gun show or LGS more attractive. A big part of the enjoyment I derive from guns is in getting and searching for a good deal. Paying the MSRP is no bueno, in my book.

Boolit Grand Master
    We have our local gun show coming up in two weeks. With Bidenomics, it could be interesting. $10 to get in, but that is for the whole weekend, including Friday evening. We have more vendors coming than we have ever had. Also, its the last show before the states 3 day waiting period goes into effect the first of October.

Bummer about that waiting period. Takes a lot of the fun out of fun shows.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Mold
    I have to confess to paying a goodly sum for a pistol on GB, several days ago.
    OTOH, they didn’t make many of them, and I’d never seen one for sale before.
    I’ve spent a lifetime following: Make do, do over, or do without.
    This late in life I figure what the heck.

Boolit Master
    The mystery of Gunbroker for me is the guns that commonly have ridiculous starting prices and practically never sell. There are many groups/types of guns that fit this scenario, yet the owners stubbornly refuse to sell lower. Why can't they see that the guns simply aren't worth what they are asking? Ruger No 1's are a prime example. You can watch dozens of them come and go with no bids placed. Colt Single Actions another. The Argentina built Colt 1911 clones - the ones that were built on Colt tooling - those almost always have way high prices and almost always result in No bids. If you are always asking a certain price and you never sell the item, it's not worth the asking price!!!

I think it's like a free season ticket to the lottery for them. It costs nothing to list, and maybe some greater fool will buy. And sometimes they do.
    Cognitive Dissident

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast