Load DataInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingWideners
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: 45 colt pistol and rifle loads

Boolit Buddy

45 colt pistol and rifle loads

So i have been spending time relooking for a thread i found, it was talking about a safe load for both pistol and rifle that gave good velocity in the rifle. anyway someone i think Outpost75 posted it but it listed unique or bullseye loads with a 250gr bullet and he had given bullet drop and energy for the rifle and was thinking about trying out this load as it is not far off from some factory stuff i have shot out of both my pistol and rifle. and i wanted to use the data he gave for the bullet drop to help with regulating my sights on my 1892 clone as i need to file down the front sight some.. think there more set up for 454 or 44 mag to hit 100 yards i have to use up all my elevation adjustment in my rear sight

i would also like to hear other peoples loads for the 45 colt that work well in both rifle and pistol.

the guns i have are 1892 Rossi, 1873 Win clone and a couple of 1873 SAA clones.
    for powder i have 2400, Unique, bullseye, Red Dot, HS-6, and 700X and of course 2FG BP but i want to keep this stuff smokeless as i am planning to use this gun for camping, woods work and short range deer hunting, and a little practice more looking for full power loads as i already have a decent low power load for the pistols for plinking

i also am planning to use only 250-260gr bullets as that is all i got molds for right now

Boolit Master

I've used the Lyman data for a max load with the #454190 and 9.0grs of Unique.
    Same charge works well with #452664 & Lee #452-255-RF.

For a Rifle only load in the 1892 clone ONLY, I would use 16grs of 2400.
    This is lighter then the Lyman Ruger only starting load from the Lyman manual. But I scoped my Marlin 1894 for accuracy testing. This load beat out any 700X & IMR4227 load hands down.

If you're looking for a great light accuracy load in Handguns ? You might try;
    5.0grs of Clay's under a 225-230gr bullet. I use the Lee #45-230-TC. I've managed under 2" for 6 shots at 25yrds with a 2 hand hold.
    Last edited by Walks; 09-02-2023 at 05:55 PM.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    If you're looking for a great light accuracy load in Handguns ? You might try;
    5.0grs of Clay's under a 225-230gr bullet. I use the Lee #45-230-TC. I've managed under 2" for 6 shots at 25yrds with a 2 hand hold.
    Clays has been unavailable for several years. Hogdon keeps listing it so maybe they will make some one day? Until they do I have been very happy with W231 in 45 Colt. Very accurate and clean burning behind a 250 grain Keith SWC.

Boolit Master
    John Linebaugh was also fond of 231 and a 250 grainer for his daily carry around the ranch load and that's what I use in my 4" S&W 2-5 and my short Ruger Blackhawk. GF

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    Well this is a complicated question.

I had a very happy Unique load that just plain worked with the NOE 454-250 SWC , Lyman 454424 , and 452-255 Lee , 9.0 as I recall .
    At 3900-4100 feet it was awesome in the carbine too . Did 1050 fps out of the 7.5" Ruger with the 257 gr Lyman and 1280<> from the 16" carbine. When it went transonic down range everything fell apart. Not a big deal at 4000' where varmints and rabbits are all you can hunt with it and 75 yd is about all you're shooting. However when you go chasing hogs in Texas at 100' it made shotgun patterns at 50 yd. The hotter mule deer loads I had for and in the 7.5" BlackHawk at 1200 fps MV didn't do that . The cowboy plinker loads at 8.0 shot great in the rifle ......they only made 1040 fps MV but they would shoot groups at 100 yd. The square peg if you will is the 1-32" twist in the Rossi 92' clones .

With your Traditional SAA pistols any load that works well there should work well in a 92' .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Never got any 45 colt loads that worked in both levers and revolvers ... except for my black powder loads. Ol Eignsford 2F at 32 grains under either the lee 255 fp or Accurates 45-260 in my brass mold that Tom built for me.

This load works in my new Miroku 92, the Miroku 73 and in Colts SAA as well as the redhawk 5 inch and the Vaquero 4 5/8ths.

Yep I like the blackpowder 45 Colt round. Hits with authority, sounds great when ignited and belchs great gouts of smoke n sparks.

Just fur kicks ... pun intended ... try some 40 grain loads under either of those boolits. When you ignight that in a 4 3/4 Colt pony gun, you know you squeezed off an original Colt loading. That's why the gubbermint had em slow em down for the sogers.

Any of these loads from any wheel gun are reported to go thru n thru an Indian pony and make the brave on the other side very sick and lose gumption to continue the fight.

Try em, ya might just like em too

Boolit Bub
    I have a Blackhawk and a Rossi 92. I cast the Accurate 45-250P sized to .454".

I like 9.1 gr of Unique of 20 gr of IMR 4227.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Harter66 View Post
    Well this is a complicated question.

I had a very happy Unique load that just plain worked with the NOE 454-250 SWC , Lyman 454424 , and 452-255 Lee , 9.0 as I recall .
    At 3900-4100 feet it was awesome in the carbine too . Did 1050 fps out of the 7.5" Ruger with the 257 gr Lyman and 1280<> from the 16" carbine. When it went transonic down range everything fell apart. Not a big deal at 4000' where varmints and rabbits are all you can hunt with it and 75 yd is about all you're shooting. However when you go chasing hogs in Texas at 100' it made shotgun patterns at 50 yd. The hotter mule deer loads I had for and in the 7.5" BlackHawk at 1200 fps MV didn't do that . The cowboy plinker loads at 8.0 shot great in the rifle ......they only made 1040 fps MV but they would shoot groups at 100 yd. The square peg if you will is the 1-32" twist in the Rossi 92' clones .

With your Traditional SAA pistols any load that works well there should work well in a 92' .

The new ones are listed as having a 1:24 twist, mine being new should have that twist, I wonder if they changed it for accuracy reasons from the 1:32

Boolit Bub
    I use 6.0 grs of red dot with 200 & 250 gr lead.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by "Spoon" View Post
    I use 6.0 grs of red dot with 200 & 250 gr lead.
    Same load I use with either a 200 gr RFN or a 225 gr TC, in any of my Colt SAAs or 6 45 Colt rifles/carbines. I ain't ever shot at anything paper with a rifle... but steel out to 100 yards is fair game. Good up close coyote medicine also.
    Griff
    NRA Patron
    SASS Endowment/Life
    CMSA Life

Boolit Buddy
    I tried my 5.4gr of red dot under a 250gr Lee in my rossi, they did decent but seamed slow compared to the factory stuff, I will have to try 6.0gr