Lee PrecisionInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyPBcastco
Titan ReloadingWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 21 to 27 of 27

Thread: herters c-press and pull downs

  1. #21
    Moderator Emeritus


    JonB_in_Glencoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Posts
    15,382
    Quote Originally Posted by michael.birdsley View Post
    CH4D shipped the shell holder adapter and should be here saturday. I also ordered that plastic primer catch system. I know the colors original on the press but, i’m not crazy about the color. I may or may not change that.

    i was able to get the spring working again on the primer arm with some penetrating oil. i’m going to take that primer arm off and put it up.
    I hope you try it out, by reloading some ammo...Maybe the 30-06. Mostly, to see if you are OK with dropping powder in the case which is held at an angle...OR if you are dropping powder off the press, then doing the bullet seating at that angle. I know thousands of people do this and like it, but I found it awkward. So, I'd hate to see you change the color of the press, and then try to sell it...although I suppose most younger people might prefer a different color than the original...it's probably just us old guys that prefer the original finish/color?
    Good Luck.

    Fun Fact:
    I've owned lots of presses, and the only one I ever repainted, was a Lyman that was originally orange and painted red (over the orange) by a previous owner. I striped it to bare iron, then painted it orange, closest I could get to original (but not quite) and I disliked it so, that I flipped it.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ďIf someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.Ē
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

  2. #22
    Boolit Buddy michael.birdsley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Chesaning/Brant Mi
    Posts
    421

    herters c-press and pull downs

    any one ever herd of 2540 gun powder ? that is what the guy i bought the gun, press, and ammo said these were loaded with. the labels that were on the boxes smeared.

    at this point if i have to dump the powder itís not a big deal. i feel like it was still a good deal. iíve just landed a whole bunch of components for myself in 150 grain interlock bullets, brass,
    primers, and bullet boxes


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by michael.birdsley; 09-16-2023 at 05:36 PM.

  3. #23
    Boolit Buddy michael.birdsley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Chesaning/Brant Mi
    Posts
    421
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    I hope you try it out, by reloading some ammo...Maybe the 30-06. Mostly, to see if you are OK with dropping powder in the case which is held at an angle...OR if you are dropping powder off the press, then doing the bullet seating at that angle. I know thousands of people do this and like it, but I found it awkward. So, I'd hate to see you change the color of the press, and then try to sell it...although I suppose most younger people might prefer a different color than the original...it's probably just us old guys that prefer the original finish/color?
    Good Luck.

    Fun Fact:
    I've owned lots of presses, and the only one I ever repainted, was a Lyman that was originally orange and painted red (over the orange) by a previous owner. I striped it to bare iron, then painted it orange, closest I could get to original (but not quite) and I disliked it so, that I flipped it.


    so running cast bullets i would charge a pan with my perfect powder measure. weigh pan with powder on my hornady electric scale ( i have a beam scale to double check beginning, middle, and end of run ). trickle in powder to correct weight. grab a shell, put shell in my lee c press, expand case mouth with noe expander. hold case in my hand and use funnel to charge the case. eyeball powder charge looks to make sure it is correct. put bullet inside case mouth than I put round into my o-frame lee press and seat bullet. once bullets are charged and seated iíll batch crimp with lee fcd die just to smooth out the case mouth.

    9mm i charge straight from the lee perfect powder measure. i still use 2 presses to expand case-mouth and seat.

    jacket bullets i do the same thing as cast except i donít expand the case mouths. so only one press

    this way i only have one case charged at a time and I never put the charged case down until i put in my o-frame press.

    more than likely i will for sure use this herters press for sizing shells, case mouth expanding, swaging primer pockets ( i donít currently have to swage primer pockets), and other shell forming stuff.

    more than likely iíll keep the lee o-press for seating bullets,

    as of right now iíll keep my lee c-press for a extra press and for lee push through sizers.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  4. #24
    Moderator Emeritus


    JonB_in_Glencoe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Land of 10,000 Lakes
    Posts
    15,382
    Quote Originally Posted by michael.birdsley View Post
    any one ever herd of 2540 gun powder ? that is what the guy i bought the gun, press, and ammo said these were loaded with. the labels that were on the boxes smeared.

    >>>SNIP
    Maybe it's 2520 ?
    Does it look like the photos in this link?
    https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...t-replacement/

    I use Accurate 2520 for 30-06 with 180gr(jacketed), pet load is 43gr.
    I previously used IMR4350, but changed to 2520 because it meters so well, and found that accuracy was just as good.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    ďIf someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.Ē
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

  5. #25
    Boolit Buddy michael.birdsley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Chesaning/Brant Mi
    Posts
    421

    herters c-press and pull downs

    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Maybe it's 2520 ?
    Does it look like the photos in this link?
    https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...t-replacement/

    I use Accurate 2520 for 30-06 with 180gr(jacketed), pet load is 43gr.
    I previously used IMR4350, but changed to 2520 because it meters so well, and found that accuracy was just as good.
    i have not pulled the rounds yet I plan on doing it tonight . the brass is a mixture of military and R-p remington. right now 25-30% of the brass has cracked necks and he put a hell of a crimp on some of them. he said his son took a bunch of the reloads and that their tack drivers.

    oh well live and learn. Im still a head on the deal. i was just hoping to come out farther a head. iíll have 400 bullets and primers. I donít know if at this point i should keep the brass or scrap it. however, he has more 30-06, 38 special brass , a .38 special taurus revolver, and a couple molds i might try negotiating harder on.










    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #26
    Boolit Buddy michael.birdsley's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Chesaning/Brant Mi
    Posts
    421
    Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    Maybe it's 2520 ?
    Does it look like the photos in this link?
    https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...t-replacement/

    I use Accurate 2520 for 30-06 with 180gr(jacketed), pet load is 43gr.
    I previously used IMR4350, but changed to 2520 because it meters so well, and found that accuracy was just as good.
    that is what kept coming when i was googling 2540.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  7. #27
    Boolit Grand Master
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    5,361
    Back to the tilt of the Herter’s press: Some folks like a tilt and I’ve seen wedges cut to place between press and bench to obtain the desired tilt, while some folks used wedges in the opposite direction to eliminate the tilt of Herter’s or similar presses.
    You be you and do whatever works for you!
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Abbreviations used in Reloading

BP Bronze Point IMR Improved Military Rifle PTD Pointed
BR Bench Rest M Magnum RN Round Nose
BT Boat Tail PL Power-Lokt SP Soft Point
C Compressed Charge PR Primer SPCL Soft Point "Core-Lokt"
HP Hollow Point PSPCL Pointed Soft Point "Core Lokt" C.O.L. Cartridge Overall Length
PSP Pointed Soft Point Spz Spitzer Point SBT Spitzer Boat Tail
LRN Lead Round Nose LWC Lead Wad Cutter LSWC Lead Semi Wad Cutter
GC Gas Check