RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyLee Precision
Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: My first two fancy steel knives

Boolit Master

My first two fancy steel knives

Both Bark Rivers from DLT Trading. The first is a Fin and Bone in Magnacut. Sounds like the steel has stainless properties along with with toughness. We shall see. This will stay in the kitchen. Striking handle of white resin with a
    cross section of pinecone.

The second is a Bravo 1 in Cru Wear. An EDC sized fixed blade. Dyed purple and grey maple burl that looks beautiful. Have not received it yet. https://www.dlttrading.com/bark-rive...maple-burl-831

I have liked knives since I was a lad and I guess I still do.
    Last edited by Cosmic_Charlie; 09-02-2023 at 07:15 AM.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Master
    Well, the Bravo 1 is a beast. Blade stock is .217" and with a convex grind the edge is tough as hell. Sheath is comfortable and secure. Came shaving sharp and it is recommended to just strop it when it needs a touch up. The Fin and Bone is proving to be a great kitchen knife, extremely sharp and useful. Would be great for taking apart a deer.
    Last edited by Cosmic_Charlie; 09-06-2023 at 12:59 PM.

Boolit Master
    I just watched a video featuring the man who formulated Magnacut steel. Although he is very proud of it, he says blade geometry trumps everything in making a knife blade. Of second importance is the heat treating process. Once those two things are perfected, then the steel choice becomes important.

Having made several knives in my shop, mostly from old files and such, they stay sharp quite a while before touching them up. My wife has a couple in her kitchen with no complaints. They ain't pretty, no exotic handles, but they cost maybe one or two dollars to make. I like looking for the old, old files sometimes and they give me something to make on the vertical belt machine.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bowfin View Post
    I just watched a video featuring the man who formulated Magnacut steel. Although he is very proud of it, he says blade geometry trumps everything in making a knife blade. Of second importance is the heat treating process. Once those two things are perfected, then the steel choice becomes important.
    The convex blade geometry on these Bark Rivers is amazing. You will need a strop to maintain the edge. I got a set of Micro Mesh pads off Amazon. 9 grits from 1500 up to 12,000 and they put a mirror polish on your edge. Bark river gets their blanks from Crucible who does the heat treat. The pads work great on conventional geometry edges as well.

Boolit Master
    Here is an interesting video on powdered metal steels; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlNQ...ahlGMBH%26COKG