MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: Range report on 2 40/65's.

Boolit Master

Range report on 2 40/65's.

I had posted on here and had pics posted of a Ruger No 1 with a custom barrel and a Pedersoli Sharps in 40/65. I had hit and miss results with the Ruger, and had mounted a slick Weaver steel tube 10x on it. I remember talking to someone, I want to think it was Val Miller on here, about 40/65's some time back, and I remember them telling me, most of them would shoot light bullets good, regardless of the twist. The No 1 has a 1-14 twist and the Sharps has 1-18 twist. I went thru my molds and bullets, the lightest I had was some 325gr, that I had shot in my 40/82. I decided to PC them, and load them unsized, with 13 gr of Unique. I loaded up 50 and started shooting at 25 yds. The sharps hit to point of aim, then I went to 100 yds on a 3x3' target with 2 black dot targets in the middle of it. First shot at 100 was low, left. So I cranked up the sights and some windage, high right, then with 3 more sighters, i got it dialed in. I was putting the tiny bead I had on the front, on the bottom of the dot, makeing a figure 8. First 2 shots cut each other, in the edge of the dot, the third one was 1/2" right, for just under 1" group, I was a happy camper, because the sight covered up more than the group. Then I turned to the no 1, at 25 yds it hit the bullet hole I shot at, in the top half of the hole. Turning the 10x Weaver on a bullet hole at 100, it was about 2" high and left about 1", took 2 more shots then the third one hit under the crosshair. Holding on the hole, I shot 2 more into a cloverleaf, agains my better judgement I shot a 4th shot, and it punched the center out of the cloverleaf, group was about 3/4". To say I am happy is an understatmen I shot 10 more rounds thru each one out to 150 yds, on a steep bank in my pasture, picking out small rocks, tufts of grass, a stick and so forth, and missed very few, had to hold over just a tad at 150. I swabbed both barrels out with 2 patches wet with clenzoil, and they were good to go. The no 1 had hardly any recoil, and the Sharps didnt move, about like shooting a .22. These are two of my most accurate single shots, with bigger bores. Just thought I would share.

Boolit Master
    Bravo! I have a recently acquired Ballard Pacific action with a pristine .40-65 Douglas bull barrel that will soon start to bark (as soon as CPA sends the wood they're carving for it). It also came with a fitted .32-40 barrel and a partially fitted .40-70 barrel. Debating whether to leave it as a two barrel set or finish fitting the .40-70 barrel too and make it a three barrel Ballard set. The first "fun dilemma" I've had in a while!

Being a novice with BPCR's, I have a dumb question: is it a matter of simply running .45-70 brass into a .40-65 die to create proper brass?

Boolit Master

Congratulations!
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gnoahhh View Post
    Bravo! I have a recently acquired Ballard Pacific action with a pristine .40-65 Douglas bull barrel that will soon start to bark (as soon as CPA sends the wood they're carving for it). It also came with a fitted .32-40 barrel and a partially fitted .40-70 barrel. Debating whether to leave it as a two barrel set or finish fitting the .40-70 barrel too and make it a three barrel Ballard set. The first "fun dilemma" I've had in a while!

Being a novice with BPCR's, I have a dumb question: is it a matter of simply running .45-70 brass into a .40-65 die to create proper brass?
    Pretty much is all there is too it, but I would measure the brass afterwards to make sure it is not too long. I have about 300 rounds of factory brass and have not tried to make it. That is basically what I did with my 40/82, just ran 45/90 brass into the fl die and that was it.

When I had plenty of excess .45-70 brass I made lots of .40-65, .38-56, and .33 WCF brass from .45-70 and of course the .40-65 was the easiest. Just some Hornady spray lube on the brass, and one shoot through my .40-65 die, and it was ready to go. As mentioned you will need to check length, but mine were fine as is.

Boolit Bub
    Don’t forget to anneal the brass first

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.doug View Post
    Don’t forget to anneal the brass first
    I haven't ever had to anneal first going to .40-65, but I do lightly anneal when working them down to smaller sizes.
    Sometimes annealing first can result in losing cases also, so I normally anneal after forming when going to .40-65, but prior to when going even smaller to avoid wrinkles.