Snyders JerkyInline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading

Thread: CVA Scout hunter in 45-70

CVA Scout hunter in 45-70

This gun has 5R rifling! Leaving room to be wrong. I slugged the barrel and tried to measure it. The muzzle formed it then fell right through. (54 ball). Couldn’t get a good measurement. Is it non sluggable? And what size should the bullet be made to?

Boolit Master
    You do not have a .45 cal, may be a .50 cal. Get some Creo safe ( ? chamber casting at Brownell's ) and pore a casting ??? Muzzle and breach ??

Quote Originally Posted by BLAHUT View Post
    You do not have a .45 cal, may be a .50 cal. Get some Creo safe ( ? chamber casting at Brownell's ) and pore a casting ??? Muzzle and breach ??
    I do not know what you are saying. The brass fits in the chamber and the rifling showed up on the slug. But I couldn’t get a measurement because it’s 5r. It doesn’t yield the right info.

I don’t know why the slug fell through after a couple inches. I don’t even know how todo a chamber casting.
    A 45 muzzle and a 50 cal barrel?

I appreciate the suggeation @ master BLAHUT. It wouldn’t group when I shot it except close in. Could it be a fifty cal barrel chambered in 45-70? I still haven’t mic”Ed it. The lube was smokeless.

I guess nobody has one of those. .459 works pretty well. Looks like only .003 deep rifling too. Weird but accurate.

Had good accuracy with T7 first time I tried it. Second time less accuracy. Beginning to not like bp- the real stuff- too weak.
    Lube failure for sure, it was colder. There was a big dry patch at muzzle. Kept it clean though - but not much help.

When dealing with bores larger than .45 caliber, I slug with .45 round balls. But to make them tight enough to not drop into a larger bore I lay the ball on my vise anvil, and give it a smack with a hammer. This expands them easily over .457" and when situated over the crown the right way they can be tapped into the bore an inch or so, and then tapped out to measure.
    Measuring odd number rifling is always tricky, and more so the less lands and grooves it has. There are V micrometers designed specifically for this, and they will correctly measure the diameter of round objects and odd number lands and grooves.
    You can also use techniques specifically for this by following this tutorial:

https://www.texas-mac.com/Measuring_...ove_Bores.html

Boolit Master
    Common method of 'accurizing' a cheap barrel is to swage down the muzzle by 001 or 002 externally,which also closes in the bore by a similar dimension........sometimes called 'swamping' .......(although ,far as I know 'swamping ' is actually an increased dia muzzle on a long rifle.)

Quote Originally Posted by marlinman93 View Post
    When dealing with bores larger than .45 caliber, I slug with .45 round balls. But to make them tight enough to not drop into a larger bore I lay the ball on my vise anvil, and give it a smack with a hammer. This expands them easily over .457" and when situated over the crown the right way they can be tapped into the bore an inch or so, and then tapped out to measure.
    Measuring odd number rifling is always tricky, and more so the less lands and grooves it has. There are V micrometers designed specifically for this, and they will correctly measure the diameter of round objects and odd number lands and grooves.
    You can also use techniques specifically for this by following this tutorial:

https://www.texas-mac.com/Measuring_...ove_Bores.html
    Really good info on that site pal. Thanks. I’m on a new trail……….

Boolit Master

Use a pin gauge to determine land diameter. You could then estimate .004" groove depth times 2 and have a pretty close groove diameter.

Dutch

Quote Originally Posted by Dutchman View Post
    Use a pin gauge to determine land diameter. You could then estimate .004" groove depth times 2 and have a pretty close groove diameter.

Dutch
    What’s a pin gauge? If I can ask.

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Common method of 'accurizing' a cheap barrel is to swage down the muzzle by 001 or 002 externally,which also closes in the bore by a similar dimension........sometimes called 'swamping' .......(although ,far as I know 'swamping ' is actually an increased dia muzzle on a long rifle.)
    I do not believe this is that "common",can you elaborate on.who is accurately choking a barrel .001 to .002
    or possibly it's just common on the underside of the globe.
    ��
    Last edited by HARRYMPOPE; 11-14-2023 at 03:04 AM.
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

If I’m getting a lot of torque when shooting a .459 bullet in this bore, with black, sub, and smokeless; could it be that I have a 457 groove……….

if it chambers and fills the throat and didn't lead I'd shoot biggest bullet possible.
    how is the accuracy? I've looked at the CVA in .444 because I was given a few 100 factory loads I need to shoot up
    Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of elderberries

Accuracy is good with the 405 grain lee lead. I seat all the lube groves. This rifle has no throat so in the bigger weights it needs a bore rider to get into the rifling and a deeper seat. It goes from the chamber into the rifling.

Anyway big bullets trajectory drops too much with bp. With a scope I can see the target and drop all in one field of view at 10x and @200 yds. But with black I aim so high I can’t see the target. Bp sub is enough better.

Quote Originally Posted by HARRYMPOPE View Post
    if it chambers and fills the throat and didn't lead I'd shoot biggest bullet possible.
    how is the accuracy? I've looked at the CVA in .444 because I was given a few 100 factory loads I need to shoot up
    I’m trying 300 grain bullets in my gun, the longest hollow points I can find. Lyman 457121. Maybe they will shoot flatter. I’m using smokeless and T-7. Did you buy a CVA yet? Accuracy not good with 500 gr. Hornady. Was hoping it would be so I could get a large bullet mold. But not going there without some hope of accuracy. What is your load for 500 gr and above?