Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
RepackboxInline FabricationWidenersTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cast iron cookware

Boolit Master

cast iron cookware

what cast iron cookware is "pre seasoned" and/or what is considered the best brand??

Decent modern made is mainly Lodge brand. Old cast iron Griswold is king with Wagner fans that will fight that statement. A bit of careful looking at garage sales and antique shops can get you some nice old cast iron. The best seasoning is cooking with it. Ya just don’t scrub it clean like modern pans.

Boolit Buddy

Rockingkj speaks the truth. Good advice. "Just use it" Preseasoned is just a heavy coating the maker uses so they do not have to finish them like the old iron. New Lodge are good but if you compare them to old castm they are rough textured and HEAVY. Cast Iron Cuisine ..... GW

Boolit Master
    I don't discriminate: every Griswold and Wagner I come across stays put. Guns are not even that sticky!

Yep find some old Grizwold or Wagner that has smooth finish inside. Avoid rust pitting on the inside. There is some high priced old cast iron out there but with patience and careful shopping you can get some nice old stuff. Come out to Nebr junk jaunt the end of Sept and you will find some bargains and not just cast iron. 300 miles of sales. We get people that come from all over the US to bargain hunt. Seen outa state trailers overloaded with “treasures “ they have found.

Boolit Grand Master
    The new Lodge stuff is supposedly pre seasoned; the problem is the cooking surface is so rough you need to work it down with a grinder, defeating the usefulness of any pre seasoning. After smoothing and seasoning, it works well though.

Almost any other modern cast iron cookware is going to be expensive, with a capital expensive. Take care of it though and your grandkids' grandkids will be fighting over it.

I'm still using Griswold skillets that my grandma had. Whether she bought them new or not, I have no idea.

Robert

Boolit Mold
    I have 3 Griswolds I wont use anything else. Take care of them and they will last forever.

Boolit Master
    Cowboy cook Kent Rawlins has a U tube video that compares different brands of cast cookware. Maybe some one can find it and post a link. Rockingkj, some day I'm going to do the Nebraska Junk Juant, sounds like fun. I think South Dakota has something similar, thats where I live

Boolit Grand Master

I have one Griswold and one Lodge that I have smoothed down to perfection. The only one available is the Lodge though,
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Moderator Emeritus

I find pre-seasoned to be less effective than bare. Coat it with cooking oil and put it in a 350 oven for 30 minutes. Turn the oven off and let it set overnight.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master
    Stargazer cast iron is super slick, comes seasoned or unseasoned
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tja6435 View Post
    Stargazer cast iron is super slick, comes seasoned or unseasoned
    I don’t understand their handle design. I haven’t used it because it just looks uncomfortable.

I do polish new cast iron with sanding disks, but right now I’m trying carbon steel pans. They seem a bit harder to season.

Lodge is OK... but as posted above,they're a bit rough as issued. We have an arsenal of older C.I. pans,my favorites are so dang slick you can durn near use them as a mirror to shave with.

Frozen french fries,and bake them per direction in a pan that's misbehaving is a quick way to get one back in business.

Just remember,back in the day this style of cookware stayed on the stove.... all day. So modern folks get caught out because of being in a hurry.... think slow,be slow with heat adjustments. Get the heat just so,as in perfect and they're as non stick as anything on the market. Got a 5" on the stove heating for a cpl eggs right now.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    I find pre-seasoned to be less effective than bare. Coat it with cooking oil and put it in a 350 oven for 30 minutes. Turn the oven off and let it set overnight.
    This is basically what I did with my Lodge's. I did not know about the roughness nor of grinding them down. I still will give a quick spray of Pam or such before and after cooking. Basically no cleanup needed other than occasional under the faucet and towel drying.

Vendor Sponsor

For ANY seasoning on cast iron, you don't just spray and pray it will come out looking nice. That don't work. You have to put on or spray on your fats, lard, crisco, pam, whatever, and you WIPE OFF AS MUCH AS YOU CAN before you stick it in the oven. You keep doing this until you have a few coats and it will start getting easier to wipe on and off. I do 6 passes. I take the iron out of a 450F oven with welder's gloves, wipe the already treated blue Scott towel (lint free) on the hot iron, evenly, and THIN as you can get it, then put it back in the oven for 20mins, repeat until you have 6 coats.

For the record, heating iron to 100F below the smoke point of the iron will insure that it will not plasticize into seasoning, it will jut get sticky after enough coats. You MUST take the iron to and preferably above the smoke point. Lard and Crisco both need to go to 425F minimum, I use 450F. Pam and the Lodge spray cans are Canola oil, they can be seasoned at 400F.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master

I have lots of cast iron cookware lodge and some other off named even some enameled. All new bare cast iron cookware needs to be washed, dried and then seasoned. I have an enameled small dutch oven that I use almost every day have for a few years. Plain cast iron pan gets used almost as much. clean while still hot. Don't use regular scub pad use stainless steel pad they sell to scrub pan, wipe out and then add small amount of oil and put back on hot stove burner. Has worked for years for me. Like others have said use it. One last thing with new stuff I have not seen much difference between the fair priced stuff and really expensive, might just be me. Enjoy cooking with cast iron works on every type stove I have ever used it on just have to learn what temperture setting works for what you are cooking.
    Beware of a government that fears its citizens having the means to protect themselves.
    NRA Patron member
    Veteran

We have quite a bit of cast iron cookware, old and new from several different brands. Last fall we purchased some from a brand called Smithey. It’s the best we own. I don’t think they have left the stovetop since the arrived. They are made in America and worth every penny.

Boolit Master
    Lodge is the best inexpensive you will find. Camp Chef is close behind, but both are heavy compared to a vintage pan. There are some premium pans available but they come with a premium price. Just to see if I could make a usable pan, I bought the cheapest fry pan wally world had. It had about a finish as smooth as 60 grit sandpaper. Took a flap sanding disk to it with my angle grinder and ground it smooth inside and out. (make sure to wear a dust mask or you'll be picking black iron boogers for a couple days) After seasoning with small amounts of cooking oil as described by DougGuy I have a nice (although heavy) pan.
    P.S. Use your gas grill outside to season the pans so the wife don't banish you to the dog house.

Boolit Master
    thanks guys. couple of questions; i have excellent sanding abilities. how smooth should i make a new cast iron pan or pot? and will a enameled pan cook/fry and clean as well as a non enameled unit ??

Boolit Grand Master

Check out Estate Sales ... Mom and Dad move on and the kids are getting rid of their stuff so they can sell the house ...
    None of the kids want Mom's Cast Iron cookware and it sells for a few dollars ...
    Estate Sales ... that's the ticket !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast