Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Musing, thinking of a CCW wheelgun

Boolit Master
    Taurus does make the 605 with a 3 " barrel.

I didn't buy a Taurus 605 to shoot 357 mag. I shoot a warm 38 Spcl loads but chambering a 357 mag round does give you options. I have had, I think six Taurus revolvers and have had good service from them.

Texas, my buddy had a Rossi 38 like yours, very accurate and shot to POA. He actually shot a couple squirrels with it.

Quote Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
    ...wilecoyote, that 19-4 with the Lightning grips looks interesting - how do you carry it? It appears those grips are out of print?...
    ...herein lies Lightning's main drawback and perhaps the reason for their modest success, if you tell me that today they are discontinued, in spite of the functional advantages offered. (as on the other hand my 19 is also discontinued)
    keep in mind that I may not be updated on what the market offers today, here very little comes from the USA, and what little there is dates back to supplies from years ago or my researches in the second-hand market.
    anyway the thickness created by the hammer shroud means that every snub19 dedicated, outside-the-pants holster, equipped with a safety strap (leather strap+automatic button) must be modified/elongated because the factory strap would be too short for a Lightning-equipped 19_ I've seen that in what I have. Bianchi and Safariland for sure.
    Not a big deal, half inch or less, but to be known first_
    the inside-t.-p. solutions remain, no strap, not for everyone comfortable, of course_
    or the vertical shoulder holster, longitudinally front open, with retention entrusted to a harmonic steel spring, but in this case these grips, longer than the oem, can be quite cumbersome...._
    truly it all depends on the lifestyle and physical build of each of us, etc..
    I'm not very good at properly explaining the technical details of it, but over time I have had the opportunity to collect different models, custom- adapted and not, precisely to solve this problem, but still produced between the 80s and today. so photos maybe could make sense, if further interested_
    in case, feel free to p.m. or e-mail me, sir_
    Last edited by wilecoyote; 08-27-2023 at 02:46 AM.
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

I have looked at both of those Taurus wheelies...price is right, that's for certain.

wile, I'm sorry, I forgot you weren't in the States.
    Last edited by armoredman; 08-27-2023 at 02:34 AM.

Boolit Master
    My carry gun is exactly as you described. A S&W Model 60 with a 3" barrel, adjustable sights, all steel, 357 magnum chambers, recent manufacture. Mine has the Hillary Hole, but it hasn't been a problem. I can't recommend it highly enough, so consider accepting the Hillary Hole and getting a delete kit... they're easy to install if it bothers you.

You might also consider the Kimber K6S 3", which can be had with a concealed hammer and 6 shots. If I were going to do it all over again based on today's market, I would seriously consider getting the Kimber and swapping out the sights for the adjustable target versions. 6 shots in a J-frame size is hard to argue with.

All due respect to those who carry a 2" snub, but I can't imagine ever doing that. My ability to aim would just be in the toilet, I have enough trouble with the 3" barrel. I really think 3" is the sweet spot for function and concealability.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by armoredman View Post
    Is Charter Arms the same management as when it was Charco or Charter 2000? I wouldn't walk across the street for one of those guns; they ruined a fine name.
    I'm pretty sure you can read about their history on their website, but no they are not the same. One of the original owners bought the company back and they are now located in Shelton CT. They say that any of the guns made in Shelton have the lifetime warranty.

I received an email from them the other day, 8/22, announcing a couple of new models. This is what was in that email:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NewCharterArmsModels2023.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	317413

..egad...

I can’t imagine a DA trigger better and smoother than the new colt cobra and king cobra. Myself, I carry the older alloy cobra for its weight advantage.

https://www.smith-wesson.com/product...nter-model-642
    Great action brand new, no lock, 1" shorter than your ask, but I can shoot this as good as my 3" model 60. This one only takes +p but nothing wrong with them.

Boolit Master

Model 36 or 60 with wad cutters. No hollow point is going to open at 38 special velocities and a wad cutter will punch a full sized hole with the associated soft tissue damage. I've shot the 357 stubbies, no thanks.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Master
    I will also say the K6 double action only in 3” is a superb gun. I wear mine CCW inside the waistband apex. It accurate points naturally smooth double action and smooth so no snagging on draw. Recoil is easy to manage. I have some 140 grain XTP loaded over WW 296 they run fantastic in the Kimber. The flat sided cylinder helps with concealment and it’s a 6-shot. I prefer this Kimber over the Ruger or the Smith. If you shoot one you will find a way to afford it.
    Last edited by Ramjet-SS; 09-16-2023 at 09:35 PM.

Boolit Master
    You can get Crimson Trace laser sight grips for the K6S. The 3” version with no exposed hammer fits nicely in most of my front pockets with a sticky slip-in holster. Even though I quick am to point out it’s short-comings (eg. cylinder locks & dried grease), I won’t be surprised if I ever get the tactical version with a 4” barrel. I held a 6” GP100 with full under lug the other day, and that thing is gigantic… might as well go straight to a 7.5” Blackhawk.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    Model 36 or 60 with wad cutters. No hollow point is going to open at 38 special velocities and a wad cutter will punch a full sized hole with the associated soft tissue damage. I've shot the 357 stubbies, no thanks.
    Speer Short Barrel will, but admittedly it is +P.
    http://imashooter2.com/books_manuals/SpeerGDHP.pdf
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    Had a Taurus 85 and 605, then a Ruger SP101 (2 1/4). I liked all of them. The two Taurus were from back in the 90's. Bought them cause their triggers were REALLY nice. Then traded them off. Later I wanted another 605 (2004?) and the local shops could not get me one. That was when I got the Ruger. Trigger wasn't as nice but it wasn't bad. I liked shooting it better as the stock grip fit me well.

A friend has a Charter Arms .44spl that he loved. He'd probably have one of their .45's if he was still alive. He liked larger bullets

It all depends on how you will carry it. A snubbie can be carried almost any position. Ankles and pockets are common choices. Longer barrel narrows the choices.

Boolit Master
    I believe back in the 1990s S&W made several runs of 649s and 642s with a 3" barrel...very hard to find however. I remembers seeing one of the 942s with a 3" barrel for same on GB not too long ago...

A friend has a pre-IL 649-2 I believe with a 2.5" barrel in .357. Was a limited Distributor Special run for someone with Mag-Na-Port barrel..

Bob

Boolit Master

Boolit Buddy
    Seldom carry a j frame. Ruger GP100 3" is toted most often. Yes it's heavy but I can hit with it.

Boolit Grand Master

Another 3 inch choice

My personal choice for CCW revolver, at least in a 3 inch, is this model 60. It was a Michigan State Police over run. Last year, I ran a series of Dicken drills with various guns that I sometimes carry and this was the winner. It carries discreetly in an IWB holster, blending nicely with the blubber bulges that adorn my waistline and is capable of 50 yard Head shots. It is a 5 shot J-frame, pre-Hilary hole and while a bit heavy for pocket carry, does just fine on a belt in a Summer Special-style holster
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3801.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	27.3 KB 
ID:	317597Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3795.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	317598
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    That pistol is basically the same as the Rossi 885 that Armoredman is playing with.
    His is a 2" barrel and my Rossi 88 is a 3" barrel.
    Armoredman wants my 3" model over his.
    The longer ejector rod used on the model with the longer barrel makes it easier to eject the fired casings.
    But now that he has had his Rossi Bobbed , he has a better idea on what the S&W model 60 will be like if he can find one with the 3" barrel.
    I too prefer the 3" over other barrel on a CCW pistol.
    On my carry revolvers , I prefer the 5" barrels.
    One of my favorites is my Model 27 S&W .357 along with two Victory models one in .38 SPL and the other in 38/200

Boolit Master
    Excluding pocket carry, the main thing that hinders concealment is the grips. A 3” barrel is the minimum length for me.

Boolit Master
    I agree with you about the grips often effecting concealment.
    Several times I either modified the factory grips , or built new smaller more concealable grips.
    On a couple of pistols I did modify the frame to reshape it for a different grip style.
    IE.
    Turn a Square Butt frame into a Round or Birds Head frame shape.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast