Lee PrecisionRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLoad DataInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters Supply Reloading Everything

Thread: 1873 cap & ball

Boolit Man

1873 cap & ball

is there an off gun loader, for the above?

Hello reloader4410,

I searched for a such press, and not liking the presses available I built my own.
    But if I were to purchase one, I'd look for the Tower of Power or the Powder Inc. model.
    I think I once heard that the Tower of Power was discontinued, probably because it was expensive.
    There are plans out there for a wooden project, I used Steel & Aluminum on mine.

AntiqueSledMan.

Boolit Mold
    Not exactly cheap, but works extremely well for any revolver from the little .31 pocket revolvers to the .44 Walkers and anything in between. https://powderinc.com/product/cylinder-loader-2/

Vendor Sponsor

Just wondering, who made a model 1873 C&B revolver?

Never mind. I just looked for it on the web. The Cattleman. Interesting concept.

I would be interested to hear what you think of it once you have it for a while.
    Sorry, I am no help on the question you asked.
    Chill Wills

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM005657.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	317361 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM005662.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	317362

Is this what you're talking about? You might try Midway USA or maybe Dixie Gunworks. The revolvers are made by Uberti, so perhaps they also sell the tool. You could also check e-bay or Gunbroker for a used one.

DG

Boolit Bub
    This is the best price I have seen on them lately. https://www.ssfirearms.com/proddetail.asp?prod=SA235

Boolit Master
    I have one; bought from Cabela's when they unloaded a bunch of them at bargain prices. Got the pictured loading tool with it as well.

I was hoping that the chambers would be the size of .45 Colt chambers, holding around 40 gr powder, but they hold the same 28 gr charge that the more traditional .44 replicas do. I'd also had visions of being able to test out projectiles from a bunch of .45 moulds I'd accumulated, but the size of the chambers was (again) the same as those of the .44 roundball revolvers. I did manage to bend the lever on the loader finding this out. I replaced it with a heavier strap of metal but stopped trying any innovations.

That said, the revolver is accurate, of high quality, easy to load (if you have the lever device and a surface to use it on), and balances like the Colt SA revolvers it copies. It has a rifling twist more like a cartridge gun than the gradual twist of the other cap&ball clones, but this doesn't seem to affect the accuracy of the round-ball loads.

I heard somewhere that they were made for the British SASS membership, who were barred from possession of cartridge revolvers after some firearm-related atrocity over there. I guess the offering in this country was a sort of trial balloon. They don't seem to be very popular; I seldom see one at a gun show. Mine is the 7-1/2" barrel; have seen 5-1/2" versions but no 4-3/4"s.

The cap nipples are offset in the chambers, and an oval hole is offset in the rear of the frame for an oval, flat firing pin on the hammer. I imagine this setup is for the purpose of thwarting anyone who might want to fit it with a .45 cartridge cylinder and take it out and fire it.

Hello Chill Wills,

Armi San Marco, Uberti, and Pietta all made an 1873 Cap & Ball.
    I think they were manufactured for the Europian Market at first, but also were sold in the US.
    I have an early Pietta and from what I was told they hed issues with ignition, I've never shot mine.
    I purchased it with the intentions of converting it to cartridge, but it has been moth-balled with to many other projects to do.

AntiqueSledMan.

Boolit Man
    Thanks to all

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Bent Ramrod View Post
    I have one; bought from Cabela's when they unloaded a bunch of them at bargain prices. Got the pictured loading tool with it as well.

I was hoping that the chambers would be the size of .45 Colt chambers, holding around 40 gr powder, but they hold the same 28 gr charge that the more traditional .44 replicas do. I'd also had visions of being able to test out projectiles from a bunch of .45 moulds I'd accumulated, but the size of the chambers was (again) the same as those of the .44 roundball revolvers. I did manage to bend the lever on the loader finding this out. I replaced it with a heavier strap of metal but stopped trying any innovations.

That said, the revolver is accurate, of high quality, easy to load (if you have the lever device and a surface to use it on), and balances like the Colt SA revolvers it copies. It has a rifling twist more like a cartridge gun than the gradual twist of the other cap&ball clones, but this doesn't seem to affect the accuracy of the round-ball loads.

I heard somewhere that they were made for the British SASS membership, who were barred from possession of cartridge revolvers after some firearm-related atrocity over there. I guess the offering in this country was a sort of trial balloon. They don't seem to be very popular; I seldom see one at a gun show. Mine is the 7-1/2" barrel; have seen 5-1/2" versions but no 4-3/4"s.

The cap nipples are offset in the chambers, and an oval hole is offset in the rear of the frame for an oval, flat firing pin on the hammer. I imagine this setup is for the purpose of thwarting anyone who might want to fit it with a .45 cartridge cylinder and take it out and fire it.
    I’ve taken two of these in trades. A 4-5/8” and 5-1/2” . They’re very well made and accurate as you say. I typically load 25 grains of T7 under a lubed Kerr bullet and it’s a snappy loading, good for medium sized game. I suspect a close range deer getter as well.