Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2WidenersLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Repackbox
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How old is this alliant bullseye keg

In 1990 I bought a keg like that of Herco that had been originally sold in the mid 70s. It was a partial keg of about 7 pounds and already opened. So at that point, it was not yet quite 20 years old and it all burned up and performed just fine. Took me about 4 years to use it all up. And that's when I was shooting IPSC every week plus the monthly match.
    When democracy becomes tyranny, those of us with rifles still get to vote.

Boolit Man
    I have one of these, also in a paper container, from a kin of my wife's that was bought in the mid-60s. Wouldn't (and don't) hesitate to use it. Also some 2400 from the same source/time frame. The one shown is of (the more recent) Alliant manufacture, while mine are by the older Hercules manufacturer.

Boolit Grand Master

I purchased Unique packaged like that in the early 70's
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

This keg holds the key to thousands of rounds of handloads. I am deciding which direction to start with first, my inclination is 38 special, 3 grains of powder and 150 grain cast bullets and to see where it goes.

After that I am curious about 300 blackout Ruger American -with +-3 grains of powder, it has the very fast twist and I have already cast a bunch of the light weight 32 mag hollow points I have sized 30 cal.

Boolit Grand Master
    I like bullseye in the .38 Special. Not a rifle powder as far as I know.

Boolit Master
    Data should be found somewhere for older rounds the 300 BlK I'm not sure better look before you leap.

Boolit Master
    Makes excellent mouse fart loads in 243, 30/06 and 30/40. Load range is 4-8 grs with any cast bullet, very quiet and essentially no recoil.

Boolit Master
    I never thought of or used bullseye as a shotgun powder. but it works great in just about every handgun caliber there is. I'll never forget first time loading a couple hundred 9mm and 380 rounds one day and how little bullseye was used. then shooting them how well they shot. previously I had only used it in 38 spl and light 357 mag loads.
    also works very well for fire forming brass

Yes I want to load mouse farts for the centerfire rifle.

Boolit Master
    I have an unopened 8 pound can of Hercules Unique which is 45 years old. How long will it remain good?

Boolit Master
    I read somewhere that some of the original bullseye powder still exists and is still as good today as when it was made. I have old cardboard containers of green dot and herco I bought back in the 80's that is still perfectly good. it had been stored basically outdoors in a old truck body for quite a few years going through freezing winters and scorching hot summers

Quote Originally Posted by lightload View Post
    I have an unopened 8 pound can of Hercules Unique which is 45 years old. How long will it remain good?
    I shot a varmint match yesterday with H-380 that came out of a Hodgdon can with no Zip Code, that should put it pre-63. I'm assuming it's WWII surplus powder. I'm not sure when Hodgdon started to contract to have "new" H-380 manufactured.

I suspect your 45 year old powder still has some life in it. Unless it was stored under the corn crib, then all bets are off.

Quote Originally Posted by Recycled bullet View Post
    Yes I want to load mouse farts for the centerfire rifle.
    Start here:

http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/ByC...er%20Loads.pdf

Mousefart loads is a dangerous hole to go down, I've done them starting at 22 Hornet and ending at 470 Nitro Express.

The most fun was the 500 FPS at the muzzle 45-70 loads. At 200 yards, they weren't moving fast, but fast enough to ring the dinger about the same time as the buddy was announcing "you missed".

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    I never thought of or used bullseye as a shotgun powder.
    Back in Hercules's days, their freebie data booklets showed a 7/8 oz. 12 gauge load. Perfect for skeet, or so I thought.

Out of 26" barrels they threw a nice tulip of flame when we shot at night. And they were the sharpest recoiling "light" loads I've ever shot.

Just glad I didn't load up cases of them.

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    Start here:

http://www.castpics.net/subsite2/ByC...er%20Loads.pdf

Mousefart loads is a dangerous hole to go down, I've done them starting at 22 Hornet and ending at 470 Nitro Express.

The most fun was the 500 FPS at the muzzle 45-70 loads. At 200 yards, they weren't moving fast, but fast enough to ring the dinger about the same time as the buddy was announcing "you missed".
    Thank you for sharing that interesting article.

Bought these back about 1982. All works as good today as when I received them..

Boolit Buddy
    I'm still using a 4 pound cardboard cannister of Hercules Red Dot. The only thing stamped on the bottom is L-542. Don't see a date anywhere. The address is Hercules Incorporated Wilmington Delaware 19899. I've never been nervous when using this powder, it looks right, smells right, and my boolits make proper holes in what I am aiming at. As long as it doesn't have a vinegar or acrid odor, I would shoot it.
    NRA Life 1992
    My avatar is almost a dead ringer for my little buddy Chico. Six pounds of mean that thought he was a Pit Bull. Miss that little guy.

Slower than red dot that I use in BO. Should work fine but get real load data. GRT says 7gr under a 150gr cast for 30K psi and 1400 fps.
    Whatever!

I have noticed similarities comparing loading data between 300 blackout and 357 mag.

The same amounts of the same powders is used to push similar weight bullets achieving similar velocities from rifle barrels.

The biggest advantage of 300 blackout is the inexpensive ar15magazines and efficient cartridge design and performance.

I will use 38 special load data for the 300 blackout to start and slowly work up until satisfaction on target. If accuracy degrades then I can back it off or try a different powder.

A sensible starting point after looking at different books may be 3.5 grains of powder and 150 grain mp hunter 30 cal plain base powdercoated bullet sized 309 and see what happens.

Thank you popper with that pressure test result.

Can you please check numbers with GRT what it says with 3 grains bullseye, 10 grains IMR 4227 with 150 and 170 grain cast bullet? I also like to use IMR 3031 but I suspect that it may require compression to make pressure. 3031 is not listed in any of my load manuals for 300 and I wonder why?? I think it's listed in the Lyman AR manual but I don't have that and neither did Cabela's yesterday.

Boolit Buddy
    Back in the late 80's or early 90's Buckeye Sports closed out all of the Hercules 8 lb cardboard containers for $5.00 / pound when they were switching to plastic jugs. I bought 3 of them in Unique and have always regretted not getting one of Bullseye at the same time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast