Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad Data
WidenersRepackboxReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hammer "bob"

Boolit Master
    Since I use double action revolvers for everything, I have no real need for a hammer spur and on some of my revolvers, I have removed them. I had a Model 36 that I removed the spur. I did not alter it to DAO but there was not need. I did not remove the spur from my Model 36-1, not sure why as that was the revolver I carried the most during that decade. Now, I prefer the 45 ACP cartridge and revolver. I cobbled this from a basket case Model 25-2.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4096.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	86.5 KB 
ID:	317415

It is a fantastic carry option and accurate enough for PPC competition. I no longer compete but I still shoot. I should have built this back when I competed!

The hammer spur is removed and the resulting scar polished. The trigger has been smoothed and polished. The action has been gone over and it is DAO. The trigger pull is one of the best, and it still has factory springs. I do not like light pulls. I like smooth, consistent trigger pulls. This one has that, in spades!

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

I’m the oddball I guess.
    I’ve never bobbed a hammer, I like to have the single action option in case I have to hit something small( like a squirrel).
    As a matter of fact, my brother and I cut a SA notch on his Enfield .38/200 revolver.
    Start the hammer back with the DA pull, then catch the top of the hammer to finish cocking it.
    It sure made it easier to hit small game with!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Then there is Jerry Miculek, that carries a full stock M-27 N frame Smith with a 4" bbl. His opinion, is that you should shoot the gun as made and not modify it, beyond smoothing the action, allowing your practice to replace any problems, not do mods to try and replace your practice. I think this was already mentioned.

Shot in several matches with Jerry over the years and heard him address revolver mods on several occasions, he always allowed as to how smoothing an action is as far as he goes, he uses a stock trigger, stock hammer and stock springs.

Changed my ideas on revolver mods considerably. Nothing quite like going to a local monthly IPSC match outside of Mobile, AL and running into this new guy, a skinny bolt of lightning, called Jerry and being "on deck" just off his right shoulder behind him and not knowing him from Adams house cat. Did not take very long to figure out if you want to shoot with this Jerry, you best bring your A, B and C game, cause he brings his.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    I never looked at or considered trying to install or make the Enfield Mk2 to a single action ability.
    That pistol was in great condition , so I left it in original condition.
    But the one Victory model that I have was kinda rough on the outside.
    So since the originality was gone.
    Why not play with it and make something better.
    Since I have a spare hammer , Bobbing it will be good since I mostly shoot it double action anyway.
    But the pistol with a 5" barrel really isn't very concealable.
    But the spur in the hammer is up in the line of the sights.
    So Bobbing the hammer may improve double action sighting since the rear sight will be visible before you start pulling the trigger.

I know you ain't gonna like it, but in my opinion, if you need to bob the hammer, you bought he wrong gun in the first place.

Boolit Master
    You are correct.
    They make lots of pistols that are designed for the Bobbed Hammers.
    But customizing a SoSo pistol to get a different kind of use out of it is a good option.
    If you have a Cheap Gun.
    You can always improve it to your needs.

Boolit Master
    As I said earlier, it was a thought I had (bobbing the hammer) but that thought passed. The hammer snagged for an instant and I said, "Son of a bob, I'll chop that right off." But, I like having the hammer, even on a semi-auto.

bobbing the hammer of a combat19 reduces the weight of the hammer,.
    the results on the percussion are nefarious_
    the only thing worse is lightening the springs in conjunction with that as well_

I thank (and agree with) those who indicated the opportunity to use heavier springs, if one is willing to this bobbing modification.
    Food is overrated. A nice rifle is way more important.
    Rob

Lightening the hammer (like when bobbing it) doesn't necessarily result in a weaker primer strike. If the weight reduction makes the hammer drop faster, it may actually strike harder.

I once 'semi-bobbed' the hammer on a CZ 75 because it would 'bite' me from time to time. I was wondering if the lighter hammer would cause problems (the gun has a floating firing pin), and before cutting I did a quick test by crimping a hollow base .38 wad cutter boolit on the hammer spur. This made the hammer so heavy that the gun would fail to fire.
    I then deducted (Elementary, my dear Watson) that I could safely remove half the spur without problems.
    Cap'n Morgan

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    I’m the oddball I guess.
    I’ve never bobbed a hammer, I like to have the single action option in case I have to hit something small( like a squirrel).
    As a matter of fact, my brother and I cut a SA notch on his Enfield .38/200 revolver.
    Start the hammer back with the DA pull, then catch the top of the hammer to finish cocking it.
    It sure made it easier to hit small game with!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You ain't the only oddball. I have several Smiths that I am sure I have never shot double action - 15, 67, 66, 63. But I am a nut for accuracy. Always have been. My absolute favorite though is my Lipsey Ruger BH 41/2" in pure dee single action.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Grand Master
    Bill Davis, PPC gun guru extraordinaire, once opined that it was easier to get a reliable, light trigger with a bobbed hammer than with the heavier, untouched hammer. Consequently, I would not worry about the reduced weight of the hammer affecting reliability. I have bobbed a hammer or two, but I no longer do so. I have a 640 and a 342 that have concealed hammers and for bigger revolvers, I want the hammer spur for a thumbreak holster.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

someone could say more about heavier spring(s) in a S&W m19, intended about use with a bobbed hammer ?
    thank you
    Rob

Boolit Master
    Does the M 19 use a Flat Main Spring ?
    I have never changed the flat springs.
    But the screw in the frame can be tightened or loosened to change the pressure.
    The Rossi I installed the heavier Main Spring is a coiled spring.
    I have lots of springs that I bought from Wolfe years ago.
    For heavier coil springs.
    I use one that is a little larger wire diameter or cut it a little longer than the factory spring.
    As long as the compressed length is not too long that will keep the hammer from rotating all the way back.
    On the Victory model S&W that I am going to Bob the hammer.
    To increase the spring pressure if needed.
    I will try to install a longer spring retaining screw to increase the bow in the flat mainspring just a little.

Quote Originally Posted by LAGS View Post
    Does the M 19 use a Flat Main Spring ?.
    Yes
    I will try to install a longer spring retaining screw to increase the bow in the flat mainspring just a little.[/QUOTE]
    OK_thank you very much!_
    Rob

Boolit Master
    Does the M 19 use a Flat Main Spring ?
    I have never changed the flat springs.
    But the screw in the frame can be tightened or loosened to change the pressure.
    The Rossi I installed the heavier Main Spring is a coiled spring.
    I have lots of springs that I bought from Wolfe years ago.
    For heavier coil springs.
    I use one that is a little larger wire diameter or cut it a little longer than the factory spring.
    As long as the compressed length is not too long that will keep the hammer from rotating all the way back.
    On the Victory model S&W that I am going to Bob the hammer.
    To increase the spring pressure if needed.
    I will try to install a longer spring retaining screw to increase the bow in the flat mainspring just a little.
    I am guessing the M19 mentioned is a Smith & Wesson Model 19?

If yes, the screw you mention is not designed to adjust tension. It is designed to hold the mainspring in place and should be snugged tight. At least that is what they taught in the Armorer’s school back in revolver days. More problems occur when you shorten or loosen that screw than they resolve.

I have competition revolvers and they all have factory springs and the strain screws are all screwed in tight.

If you need a longer strain screw, Allen screws are good substitutes.

Kevin
    Knowledge I take to my grave is wasted.

I prefer to use cartridges born before I was.

Success doesn't make me happy, being happy is what allows me to be successful.

Quote Originally Posted by StrawHat View Post
    I am guessing the M19 mentioned is a Smith & Wesson Model 19?

If yes, the screw you mention is not designed to adjust tension. It is designed to hold the mainspring in place and should be snugged tight. At least that is what they taught in the Armorer’s school back in revolver days. More problems occur when you shorten or loosen that screw than they resolve.

I have competition revolvers and they all have factory springs and the strain screws are all screwed in tight.

If you need a longer strain screw, Allen screws are good substitutes.

Kevin
    ...me too, and I fully agree with what you said_ in my mind, I was oriented to put a purpose built spacer between the tight snugged screw and the main spring, replicating the concept of a longer strain screw, and see if it works...
    Rob

Boolit Grand Master
    @ Wiley
    Back in the day, we used to pull the anvil out of a spent primer and then use the cup, placed over the tip of the strain screw as a spacer. Usually, that would be just enough to return a malfunctioning PPC gun to proper operation.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    @ Wiley
    Back in the day, we used to pull the anvil out of a spent primer and then use the cup, placed over the tip of the strain screw as a spacer. Usually, that would be just enough to return a malfunctioning PPC gun to proper operation.
    You said it !
    Rob

Boolit Master
    I have used the primer cup on the mainspring screw to increase the tightness of the screw in revolvers that the screw was a little short.
    It is a simple fix , and like mentioned.
    It can increase the spring tension a bit.
    Using the primer cup was way quicker than trying to find a longer screw when I was rebuilding revolvers.
    I think on some revolvers,
    People would file the screw shorter to try and lighten the spring pressure to lighten the Double Action trigger pull.

I think on some revolvers, People would file the screw shorter to try and lighten the spring pressure to lighten the Double Action trigger pull.
    ...filing the screw shorter or putting a shim under the head of the same screw...tried a zillion years ago on my first S&W (Victory .38) but, even as rookie, it was unsatisfactory at best, in my memories _
    Rob

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12