Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Wideners
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: FREECHEX Gas Check tool

Recently escaped from The People's Republik of Illinois, ...Now living in the Free State of Missouri

FREECHEX Gas Check tool

Have any of you used the FREECHEX tool being sold on Ebay??

This tool costs something like $39, ......which is about what I am going to pay for 1000 .44 caliber gas checks: .....So I guess my question is: "Will this tool last long enough to make it a good deal???"

Kent
    KLC

“.....Nuttier than a squirrel turd.” - An assertion by a fellow forum member

Boolit Buddy
    I'd like to know how well they work also. Looking at one for .22 cast bullets for a Hornet loading.

Not so keen on using aluminum pop cans, though. Copper foil in 5-6 and 8-10 thou thicknesses is pretty available, and I would rather go that route, if it's going to be fed down a barrel I want to last.

Maybe it makes not a bit of difference, though.

Cheers
    Trev

I know guys that own these and I get mixed emotions on them. Some say their junk and inconsistent and others swear by them. I guess its all up to the user. Check out Pat Marlins GC makers here on this site and I think you will be happy with the product he makes.
    ** Please bear with me for a day or two if I dont reply quickly.**
    Mike B.
    Gun Control= Being able to hit your target.

Check (sorry for the pun) the search facility in this forum and you will find nothing but good reports on Freechex.

Has Pat Marlin delivered any tools yet? I haven't seen any reports or results but keen to.
    Thermal underwear style guru.
    "Exclusive international distributor of Jeff Brown Hunt Club clothing."
    Supplier to the rich(?) and infamous.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought one for .45 gas checks. It works like a charm if you use the correct backing to the matertial your cutting, Then placing the disc it in the die is a piece of cake. My biggest problem was figuring out how to get the cut discs out of the punch. IMHO I give them a big Thumbs up!!!!!!! Easy too use and cheap as well....
    Jack
    When the government fears the people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
    “The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.

Thomas Jefferson was one Smart guy. Now we need to find another one!!!
    NRA Life member since 1971, SASS
    Ret. IAFF Local 2928

Boolit Bub
    I just got a Freechex II in .30. It takes a little time to get the hang of it but once I got into the rhythm it went fast and smooth. The checks look great! I'm using .010-.012 cat food cans rather than .004 soda can sides. I haven't shot any but I have 150-200 ready to load in my 30-06.

Are these things good like to only those who have lots of empty cans sitting around?
    Remarks by President Biden on the Hostage Situation at Congregation Beth Israel in Colleyville, Texas, January 16, 2022:
    "But you can’t stop something like this if someone is on the street buying something from somebody else on the street."

Very good for those (eg: ME) who have 20 square feet of 0.0118 printing plate lying around.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Le Loup Solitaire

Freechex Gas check maker

I recently purchased one of these and found that it works very well. I have used the aluminum from pop cans and itis easy to work with. Its around .005 thick and it is possible to form two discs at the same time to make a thicker .010 check. At around $39 with the shipping if you make and use 1500 of these checks then you have gotten your money back and after that you are way ahead. The Hornady-Lyman monoply game scam with 1000 checks running $25. or more is over for me. I have a dozen 30 cal rifles to feed and with the runaway prices on powder and primers already out of control.... who needs this additional corporate game of greed and strangulation. The user of this tool is not limited to using aluminum pop can material, although that is the cheapest. Some folks use sheet brass, chimmney-roof flashing, sheet copper, cat-food cans etc. with good results. There is a variation of the tool called Freechex II which is made for cutting and forming checks out of thicker material. The kit comes with excellent instructions and samples of gas checks made with Aluminum, copper and brass. Its easy to use once you get the rythm. The gentleman that makes the system has 100% feedback on E-bay for around 500 transactions. He is friendly and answers correspondence. E-mail address is codarnall@yahoo.com for any questions. He also makes various other calibers and may do special order work, but suggest that you ask. I am very pleased with this tool and am glad that I bought one; and as such strongly recommend it to anyone considering getting one. LLS

Boolit Master

I have tools similar to Charlie's tool and I also have one of his. All work great. I can say that my 16 thous thick aluminum gas checks shoot better than any of those made by Lyman or Hornady. I have two check makers that are designed to put checks on plain based boolits as well. This is really helpful when wanting a greater variety of pistol boolits to push at high speeds out of rifles. I haven't bought a gas check in several years, and don't ever plan to do so.

Best wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

I too abhore the prices of gas checks as sold by Lyman an Hornady. But some one enlighten me about the use of aluminium as a gas check. I swage bullets and have been warned off using aluminium as the jackets form aluminium oxide and can damage the bore, like constantly fire lapping until your barrel is no longer in spec and your accuracy is gone.

If I am mistaken, correct me please.

Boolit Master on Heavens Range
    You are not mistaken. Lube delays the wear and tear caused by almost anything we dare to shoot. Some of the best lapping material is the dust from agricultural quality dirt. If it flies across a large area, it's down into the micro range in grit size. Google: vertisol clay, for example, and you should see that it the finest stuff in the air. Red clay is significantly larger and flies all over OK and TX in the spring. ... felix
    felix

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    I too abhore the prices of gas checks as sold by Lyman an Hornady. But some one enlighten me about the use of aluminium as a gas check. I swage bullets and have been warned off using aluminium as the jackets form aluminium oxide and can damage the bore, like constantly fire lapping until your barrel is no longer in spec and your accuracy is gone.

If your using soda can or as I do painted trim coil .012 thick then there is no oxidation to worry about as they are sealed from moisture and oxygen which cause oxidation by their coating,Also if that still really worrys you there is also brass and copper foil sold by McMaster Carr in the proper thickness ,Yes the price is higher than alum. but still cheaper than buying Hornady checks.I have tried brass and it works well also but no better or worse than my alum. or store bought checks.

Tim
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Moderator Emeritus

I have a 44 that works fine and a 22 that is a pain. Of course dealing with 22 gc is a pain with factory or not. I anxiously await PatMarlins 30 cal checkmaker.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post

Being a certified gemologist/mineralogist I know all about Al03, or aluminum oxide. It is the same stuff that rubies and sapphires are made of. The only thing on the planet harder is diamond. That being said, it is nearly impossible for aluminum oxide to form on processed aluminum, esp once it has been coated with paint. Aluminum does not oxidise as quickly as iron based products like steel. It takes a long long long time for aluminum to rust. The chances of it happening once it is formed into a gas check or a bullet jacket if the check or bullet is stored properly is slim to none. Many of the Winchester pistol rounds are loaded with aluminum jacketed bullets. They are highly polished and many people shoot them. The aluminum oxide hype is just that, hype much of it is being pushed by those folks who have the most to loose by folks not buying and using their products.

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Tyrants use the force of the people to chain and subjugate-that is, enyoke the people. They then plough with them as men do with oxen yoked. Thus the spirit of liberty and innovation is reduced by bayonets, and principles are struck dumb by cannon shot: Albert Pike, Morals and Dogma

Boolit Master

Question 22 GC from spent primers in FREECHEX?

Crossing an idea from another post with this one- has anyone ever considered using spent primer cups in the 22 forming die and getting a good gas check from that? I measured a few spent primers today and the cup is approximately 0.015 inches thick on both the large and small primers. It may vary with manufactures, or whether it's a rifle or pistol primer, but this could save a step.
    I also ran on to some old blow out discs that I saved years ago from a job I was on- they're 0.006 inches thick, and about 7 or 8 inches in diameter Brass or bronze (cartridge case colored). I've got a stack about 5/8 inches thick! That's a lot of potential gas checks.

I'm gonna buy one or two, is the FREECHEX the best one out there?
    USMC 1980-1985

Boolit Master

Right now Freechex and freechexII seem to be the only ones available. I know that Pat Marlin is tooling up to produce his own type but they are not out yet. Unless you know a good machinist Pat or Charlie are your only two options. I think the freechex II is a better set up than the Freechex, but not sure if Charlie makes it in all cals. Pat's system seems to be good in design, though he has yet to mass produce them. I guess it just depends on if you want to wait for Pat's or try one of Charlies both will do the job.

Joe
    WWG1WGA

Charlie probably will not sell a Freechex II to the US due to the liabilities issues. The gadget makes lots of sharp edges and he lives in fear of being sued. Worth asking him though.

I have a Freechex II and it is great. Yes, I have spiked my fingers and leaked blood but I figure it is cos I was stupid and have no desire to sue anyone.

Cheers from New Zealand

Jeff.

Boolit Master

Thumbs up Bought 'em!

I got one each of the 22 caliber FreeChex, 30 & 45 caliber FreeChex II. I will NEVER buy another factory gas check again (unless it's a deal just too good to pass up). I can't wait to try them out!
    Seems to be a great guy, and wants to help the shooters out there. He is a 'Nam Vet with 7 years in the USMC (both enlisted and commissioned)- that puts him another notch higher in my book!

Told him to check out CastBoolits.com and search for his product to see what people are saying- I thought good reviews, so I was sold.
    USMC 1980-1985

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Sometimes View Post
    I got one each of the 22 caliber FreeChex, 30 & 45 caliber FreeChex II. I will NEVER buy another factory gas check again (unless it's a deal just too good to pass up). I can't wait to try them out!
    Seems to be a great guy, and wants to help the shooters out there. He is a 'Nam Vet with 7 years in the USMC (both enlisted and commissioned)- that puts him another notch higher in my book!

Told him to check out CastBoolits.com and search for his product to see what people are saying- I thought good reviews, so I was sold.

Thats good Charlie, keep us posted and let us know the results. I am especially interested in the 22!
    "A gun in the hands of a bad man is a very dangerous thing. A gun in the hands of a good person is no danger to anyone except the bad guys." ~ Charlton Heston, 1997

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast