Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RepackboxInline FabricationSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: I had a bullet casting epiphany today

Boolit Master

I had a bullet casting epiphany today

I've decided to reload some 32ACP rounds.
    I found a set of dies and some brass in swappin and sellin.
    As you may know boolit molds for 32 ACP are scarce and expensive. I was looking at some of the past threads here and suggested molds are either unobtainium or $150+. I got to thinking that for $150 I can buy 1500 plus Berry's plated bullets. I doubt that I'll shoot that many rounds from a mouse gun the rest of my life, even if i cheat death and last another 30 years. Since I'm already into this black hole over a hundred bucks for dies and brass, I'll stick with it and reload some rounds using purchased bullets.

I shoot and reload enough that the math works for a few calibers. The 32 is one that never will for me.

Hmm.

Since ya have plenty of boolits for now.
    I'd rock on with them and just keep a eye out for a bargain priced mold.

Ya never know, you might 'need' to get another gun that eats .32s.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

The dies and brass are an investment just like the mold would be!
    You may be able to sell them later on for the same money or more!

Boolit Master
    Gotta be careful, this place is full of enablers!
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Master

I had a bullet casting epiphany today!
    Quote Originally Posted by jimlj View Post
    I've decided to reload some 32ACP rounds.
    I found a set of dies and some brass in swappin and sellin.
    As you may know boolit molds for 32 ACP are scarce and expensive. I was looking at some of the past threads here and suggested molds are either unobtainium or $150+. I got to thinking that for $150 I can buy 1500 plus Berry's plated bullets. I doubt that I'll shoot that many rounds from a mouse gun the rest of my life, even if i cheat death and last another 30 years. Since I'm already into this black hole over a hundred bucks for dies and brass, I'll stick with it and reload some rounds using purchased bullets.

I shoot and reload enough that the math works for a few calibers. The 32 is one that never will for me.
    I can't have one of those.

I can't spell the word.

Boolit Master
    I came to that conclusion regarding .380 many years ago. Not because of availability or cost of molds, but because I just didn't want to fiddle with casting, lubing, and sizing those little bullets. I can fiddle with the little cases for the amount of .380 I will shoot in a years time.
    Last edited by higgins; 08-23-2023 at 04:16 PM.

Did the same with my 380 pocket gun. I wanted to replace my Corbon ammo and great Scot thought I was buying gold coin. So I just bought a Dillon setup. Die set, bullets, brass, etc. At a point, I just go the other direction in total and that was the point for me.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master

I have never even considered loading for my .25 acp or .380 just trying to recover the cases alone gives me a headache!

I also do not consider either for a useful self defense gun I inherited the .25 it is a very early Colt with ivory grips and one .380 is a old Highstandard model "G" while the other is a AMT that is out of production.
    When I think back on all the **** I learned in high school it's a wonder I can think at all ! And then my lack of education hasn't hurt me none I can read the writing on the wall.

Boolit Master
    I still have a .32 auto but I sold all my dies a couple years ago, I found loading .32 auto to tedious, and I only loaded FMJ bullets.

I keep a few hundred rounds for my Walther PP and like to shoot it occasionally.

Boolit Grand Master
    A lot depends on how much "fun" people get out of an activity. Casting, lubing and sizing are not fun for me, plus I have a side business that I enjoy more. So, my "spare time" has value.

I would do the same as you...buy the small quantity of bullets I need and have fun shooting.
    Don Verna

Anyone getting into casting to save money is fooling themselves. I do it because I enjoy the mental challenge - even when it gets frustrating. I don’t think this is a treatable condition!
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Boolit Buddy

This whole concept of saving money by casting and reloading is probably a farce started by some one to justify the expense of the whole setup needed to make our own ammo, personally it's more of a hobby and mental therapy for me. To each his own, have always enjoyed a challenge. When things don't go as planned with casting and any part of the hobby, makes me seek solutions to problems, challenges my mind and sometimes my body to do better, there fore giving my mental health and body a natural boost. Remember the old saying if you don't use it you will lose it!!! Some people like money, jewelry, cars etc. I have a fondness for guns, so that is my excuse [reason] for doing it.

Boolit Master
    Molds for the 32 ACP can be rare and expensive, but they don't have to be hard to obtain. When I wanted (needed) a mold I first bought a Lee 311-93-1R (2X) and had a local machine shop remove the bottom band and the lube groove above it. When loaded in the cases to a "reliable feeding" length the top lube band is above the mouth of the case. Not a good thing so I relegated this mold for 32 S&W cases. Next I got a Lee 311-100-2R mold with the same plan. I removed the sprue plate and handles from the mold. This makes the machine shop's worker's job much easier and more accurate. With just the bottom band and lube groove removed, this mold makes boolits that weigh 78 grains and the top (only) lube band is positioned inside the case. Success at less than the cost of a car payment. Correct boolit diameter, weight and loaded length, this mold now is a keeper. As with any mold modification, your goal is to get what will work for you. "Make it work. Wear it out. Make it do, or do without." Good luck with your project.

Lee .314 90 gr truncated cone TL, very very handy bullet. Works great as cast for most .32sw long and .32acp.

Just cast up 80 of these pretty little girls and loaded them up. Thankfully had a big jar of .32acp cleaned brass waiting for me.

Mine got 2 grains of Red Dot and a CCII SPP. Range report soon.

But that same bullet sized to .311 works great in the .30-30, and it is the only bullet I will load in the Cz-52. Truncated cone design keeps it from running into rifling and failing to go into battery. Wish I had it in a 6 cavity. But very handy cast bullet.
    I truly believe we need to get back to basics.

Get right with the Lord.
    Get back to the land.
    Get back to thinking like our forefathers thought.

May the Lord bless you and keep you. May the Lord make His face to shine upon you and be gracious unto you
    and give you His peace. Let all of the earth – all of His creation – worship and praise His name! Make His
    praise glorious!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
    Lee .314 90 gr truncated cone TL, very very handy bullet. Works great as cast for most .32sw long and .32acp.

Just cast up 80 of these pretty little girls and loaded them up. Thankfully had a big jar of .32acp cleaned brass waiting for me.

Mine got 2 grains of Red Dot and a CCII SPP. Range report soon.

But that same bullet sized to .311 works great in the .30-30, and it is the only bullet I will load in the Cz-52. Truncated cone design keeps it from running into rifling and failing to go into battery. Wish I had it in a 6 cavity. But very handy cast bullet.
    I agree. I also cast mine using the Lee 314 90 grain TL bullet. It is the most accurate bullet for the 32S&W Long that I have tried.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lee 314 90 swc targetApr 05, 1-9 grains.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	31.3 KB 
ID:	317321
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master
    Whether or not you save money via casting really depends on volume and whether or not you include the value of your free time. If the casting and reloading process is something you value inherently, then as long as you're not constantly buying new reloading stuff, you definitely reach a point where you come out ahead, especially with today's ammo prices. Can afford to go through 50 to 100 rounds of 357 magnum in a session with casting/reloading, but that would be incredibly expensive if I were buying every cartridge.

If you hate casting and reloading and would rather spend that time working overtime and your tax bracket isn't too burdensome, or if you just don't shoot very much, then it doesn't make sense to do it.

I think you made the right choice in buying bullets, personally.
    Last edited by Daekar; 08-24-2023 at 10:08 AM.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Daekar View Post
    Whether or not you save money via casting really depends on volume and whether or not you include the value of your free time. If the casting and reloading process is something you value inherently, then as long as you're not constantly buying new reloading stuff, you definitely reach a point where you come out ahead, especially with today's ammo prices. Can afford to go through 50 to 100 rounds of 357 magnum in a session with casting/reloading, but that would be incredibly expensive if I were buying every cartridge.

If you hate casting and reloading and would rather spend that time working overtime and your tax bracket isn't too burdensome, or if you just don't shoot very much, then it doesn't make sense to do it.

I think you made the right choice in buying bullets, personally.
    That's true. A cousin-in-law has a couple for Ruger BH's and a Henry in 45 Colt, but he does not shoot much. I bought a set of used dies on here in 45 Colt, but rather than buy a mold, I traded for a hundred cast 45 bullets with a buddy. I traded 32's for 45's. Enough to keep him shooting a spell but without getting yet another mold.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Master
    I like the .32 ACP and shoot several 1000 rounds a year. The .32 ACP is a good defense round not like what the gun magazine writers put in print. If a human is shot with it the round bounces around in the body doing much more damage than it's size justifies. Talk to the medical examiners of large cities where the .32 has been used in shootings. I load the round on both single stage presses and Dillon 550B. The only thing I do is weigh the powder for each round. I do not cast the bullets for the .32 ACP as they are a pain to get right.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    A lot depends on how much "fun" people get out of an activity. Casting, lubing and sizing are not fun for me, plus I have a side business that I enjoy more. So, my "spare time" has value.

I would do the same as you...buy the small quantity of bullets I need and have fun shooting.
    it was fun for about a year when i was in high school. went in the service for 8 years and the only shooting i did then was on uncle sam. took it back up right away and shooting became an obsession. i was at the range at least 3 days a week. with three kids i had to cast to be able to shoot and since then it has remained that way. it like loading are a necessity if your shooting 500-1000 rounds a week. lucky for me winter curtails it or id never keep up. id gladly give up all my loading and casting gear if i could get all the free ammo i wanted. SHOOTING is my hobby reloading and casting is work. i buy the best gear to get it done the easiet and fastest way. it was the same with motocross and snowmobile racing we wrenched about every night for an hour or two of actual fun