MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionInline FabricationLoad Data
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: Got another one this weekend

Boolit Buddy

Got another one this weekend

I was at a gun show this weekend about an hour from home, and on one of the first tables a guy had a rough 1886 Winchester in 38-56. Ok here is the good, made in 1890, I don't have a 38-56, full length octagon, barrel, carrier is nice(actually all the interior parts look good except one), the bore is marginal but may shoot cast well, I have 45-70 to 38-56 case forming dies, reloading dies, and many molds for bullets in this caliber. Ok now the bad, been buffed way too hard and reblued, missing front sight, wrong rear sight, extractor is broken off at front of bolt, and ..... oh yeah the stock is broken in half. I asked him what he wanted for it as I am an 1886 ADDICT! He had $750 on it and right away said $700. He was not able to take a CC and due to wife being in Nurse practioner school and some recent home repairs( and having bought a 1903 Winchester 1894 deluxe in 38-55 the previous weekend) I didn't have that much cash available. We talked some more and I found he lived about 40 minutes from me. I said I had a Marlin in 35 rem for sale and if the guy took it I would have the money nex week. If it sold it sold but I would call on Monday and see. Monday he said it had not sold. I called my buddy and he said yes he wanted the 35. So I was able to meet up with Mr 1886 and make the deal. I looked on line and couldn't find a decent 86 stock so I ordered one from Silver Hill. Got an extractor and front sight coming. I am going to use a Lyman no 2 Tang sight for now, hoping to find a original tang sight for it. I am also hunting for an original 38-56 barrel that hasn't been buffed quite so hard but we will see how that goes. As a famous gunsmith says...down the rabbit hole. I have a 45-70 saddle ring carbine, a 50-110, a 33 wcf takedown, a 33 wcf standard carbine, and now a 38-56. Wahoo.

My neighbor is a 1886 nut as well he recently picked up very nice first year 45-90 in very shootable condition. I bought a 350 gr Accurate mould for my Shiloh 1874 and will have to size them down for his 45-90 @ 458” . Someday I will have to have one too.

Boolit Buddy
    Randy, I know this will never be a beauty but neither am I! I like having a "Used" rifle because I can take it out in the woods and to the range without worry. I really appreciate the gorgeous original condition rifles they just aren't for me. I never had a super nice pickup either cause I know what I am gonna do with it!

Congratulations on the score!!
    "Everyone has a plan, until they get punched in the face!" - Mike Tyson

"Don't let my fears become yours." - Me, talking to my children

That look on your face, when you shift into 6th gear, but it's not there.

Boolit Master

Congratulations!
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Buddy
    Thank You. I had to order some parts for a 130 year old rifle ( I said it was rough) but I hope to have it up and shooting in a week or so. With the BRAND NEW HIGH GLOSS BLUE(yuck) on it, it looked very buffed and out of place. I spent a few days on it and now it looks much more like a 130 year old rifle should. The extreme buffing sn't as obvious with a much duller blue. A little black powder fouling, A LOT of sunlight. some morning dew, and a worn out scotchbrite pad ( with a couple originals as a guide) has made this one blend in more with the others in the safe. I am NOT FAKING IT I am restoring it to its former ugly before somebody reblued it. I am still waiting on the stock and then with a tiny bit of fitting hopefully send some lead down range. I am fully prepared to have to have it relined (or a nice old barrel if I can find one),,, but gotta shoot it first.

Boolit Grand Master

Because you care another good ol Winchester will rejoin the ranks on the firing lines.
    Well done !
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Grand Master

And yes do shoot it. Those old barrels seem to come back all on their own as long a the slug get a good tight grip on the way done.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Buddy

Aint nothing better than a shooter grade 1886

Enjoy!
    Tom

Boolit Master
    I had an old 1886 in 38-56. It's a great cartridge and rifle and one day I wouldn't mind finding one with a better bore. Mine shot bullets sideways for the first one or two shots, then as the fouling built up a bit the bullets stopped tumbling .

I used a 260gr bullet from Buffalo Arms, 0.382 diameter which is as big a bullet as the case would fit. Loaded with black powder.

The dies I had were RCBS and they way overworked the brass. I wonder if CH4D dies would be better.

Chris.

Boolit Grand Master
    Good to hear an old gun being brought back to usefulness.

Don Verna

Boolit Master
    Can we some pics? Sounds like the type of gun I need! I like the pretty ones but have some plastic stocked rifles that I still treat too well. I just can’t seem to be ok having a beater!

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all the responses. Pics will be forthcoming..

Theres an 1886 38/56 barrel on Gun Broker right now. Doesn't look too terrible. $270 bucks
    Might be just your luck

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fordwannabe View Post
    Randy, I know this will never be a beauty but neither am I! I like having a "Used" rifle because I can take it out in the woods and to the range without worry. I really appreciate the gorgeous original condition rifles they just aren't for me. I never had a super nice pickup either cause I know what I am gonna do with it!
    I'm the same way. One of my favorite rifles is a beat to death/loose as a goose 1985 94. I had to "improve" the fit between forend/barrel and front barrel band/mag tube with Gorilla Tape on the inside of the parts. That done, this thing shoots the RCBS 150 grain with 24 grains H-335 lights out and I don't have to worry about it getting dinged.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.