Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2
Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataWideners
Inline Fabrication Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Loading .45 ACP ?

Moderator Emeritus

I find my procedure is dependent on the boolit and gun combination. Some applications require the two die technique, and others don't. Back when I liked to use a 3 hole turret press, I'd seat/crimp in same step when ever I could. Now that I sold the 3 holer and use a 4 holer exclusively I always seat and crimp is separate steps. I load for both revolver and semi-auto. Lee's taper crimp has become a good friend of mine. Even still, my Semi auto won't cycle a lightweight SWC, which bums me out. My revolver has issues with fat RN boolits, but I am not a fan of them anyway. So, there are reasons for everything.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by GONRA View Post
    GONRA sez - can "fix" lottsa crap auto pistol handoads by running 'em thru yer LFC die!
    Everybody should have one....
    With all due respect, I have found the opposite to be true.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

+1 for Redding taper crimp dies.
    Everybody grab a shovel, we got a swamp to drain.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by GONRA View Post
    GONRA sez - can "fix" lottsa crap auto pistol handoads by running 'em thru yer LFC die!
    Everybody should have one....
    I once bought 500+ rounds of commercial .45 ACP reloads for component prices because the guy complained that everyone said his ammo wouldn't chamber in their guns. Guess what? It wouldn't chamber in mine, either! I ran it through my taper crimp die, and the problems magically went away! I told him about my results, and the next time I saw him, he was extolling the virtues of the taper crimp die like he had just invented it!
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

I only combine the two if I have to, done in separate steps you can adjust either without effecting the other. Combined, if I change the crimp, I just changed the seating depth and have to go back a fiddle with it again. Not a complete deal breaker, just added unnecessary work.

Boolit Grand Master

Old set of Lyman All-American Dies with a carbide sizing die even (expensive at the time) the dies were given to me by a friends Daddy, so I could reload for my new Star Model PS 45 acp , this was 1969 .

The 45 acp is the one cartridge that I do seat and taper crimp in one step .
    The Lyman A-A die is easy to adjust and must be made in a way to allow seat-crimp in one step with no problems .

Roll crimping is always done in two steps for revolvers ... always ... just seems to work better .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

I use a Lyman "M" die in the RL550B / C, then seat, then a Lee factory crimp die.

Boolit Buddy
    seat die with proper stem, taper crimp die, Lyman "M" die to expand case mouth for lead and plated bullets
    RCBS Dies (Carbide) have both round nose / SWC stems, Taper crimp die is a CH Tool & Die (CH4D now)
    Mighty Armory Dies the match ones..size, flare, seat, taper crimp

-Rock

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    With all due respect, I have found the opposite to be true.
    I agree with JonB. I think the Lee fcd is an Abomination used by either inexperienced reloaders or lazy one.
    A quality Taper Crimp is a far better choice.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Bub
    I'm an inexperienced or lazy reloader. I use the four die, Lee set, for .45ACP. I seat, then crimp. No complaints from me.

Boolit Master

How are the RCBS and Lyman .45 ACP taper crimp dies compare to say the Lee or hornady?

Boolit Bub
    RCBS and taper crimp and seat all in one when i used nothing but hornady 185 grain hp
    but since i have moved to plated and or PC i always seat and then taper crimp

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12