Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
Inline FabricationLoad DataRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Good starting projectile for the CVA Optima V. 2 50 cal, whitetail

Good starting projectile for the CVA Optima V. 2 50 cal, whitetail

Just a starting point. Presume the CVA Optima V. 2 50 cal, and using Triple 7 (not BH 209) for now. Good starting projectile to work with for late season deer?
    -Paul

I have the same muzzleloader, and use a .452” cup point from the MP ruger only mold in a mmp sabot. Works great.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 872292EE-F0FB-4D38-976E-C5367AB9FEF2.jpg  
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    I bought one of these guns last year after seeing a couple of guys I know shooting them at the range. I already have several in-lines that shoot well, but these CVA’s are remarkable considering the price point they’re selling at. I can honestly put five shots inside 1.5moa at a measured 100 yards with mine using Barnes TEZ 290g with the supplied sabots. I’m using BH209, but I tried using T7 (I have a couple of pounds on hand) and get just about the same accuracy. I do swab the T7 with Windex w/ammonia between shots followed with a dry patch though. BH209 doesn’t require that. The two guys I saw shooting them at the range were getting similar groups and that’s why I bought one to play around with. It shoos as good as my TC Encore and my Savage ML2. About less than half the cost.

I have been using white hot pellets with good success.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by huntinlever View Post
    Just a starting point. Presume the CVA Optima V. 2 50 cal, and using Triple 7 (not BH 209) for now. Good starting projectile to work with for late season deer?
    I have 3 inlines in .50 cal. I use blackhorn209 at about 41 grs. depending on lot number, I keep loads at about 1200FPS, with cast pure lead bullets, at 500grs. I use BH209 in all my .45 carterage rifle guns for hunting and competition... I have not tried 3-7 yet or pirodex, have tried white hots, very dirty, but for the 1 or 2 shots will work. I like BH209; too bad it is so expensive; but if one looks at cost per shot, for the half dozen at the range and the one or two during hunting; I will stick with BH209 for as long as I can ???? With BH209 Cleanup is so much easier and you do not have the crud buildup when shooting multiple shots.... For me; during a 100 round match, cleaning after every shot sucks...

Two white hot pellets and Hornady Bore Driver FTX 50cal go thru mine. I haven’t killed a deer yet, but have on hogs.

Boolit Master
    Here’s what the TEZ 290g does on a deer at a measured 98 yards. Perfect mushroom and no loss of weight.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1591.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	317176

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    Here’s what the TEZ 290g does on a deer at a measured 98 yards. Perfect mushroom and no loss of weight.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1591.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	84.1 KB 
ID:	317176
    What kind of powder charge were you using? Btw, I saw a closed thread where you were selling an encore ML bbl. You still have it?

Boolit Master
    I was using 100g by volume (70g on a scale) of BH209 for my load. I still have the barrel, and mounts.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by NSB View Post
    I was using 100g by volume (70g on a scale) of BH209 for my load. I still have the barrel, and mounts.
    I tried to private message you, but it says you are full. I am interested if it’s still for sale.

Alright guys, thanks alot. Hope to get it for myself and my son when I can swing it, lot of outlay recently. Looks like the logjam might be 209 primers, not surprisingly. Hopefully for this MZ season up north.
    -Paul

Boolit Master
    DirtyDusty, Sent you a PM