Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataWideners
Lee PrecisionRepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Inline Fabrication

Thread: 223 with small PP

223 with small PP

I was thinking about the 223 with a 55 gr cast bullet with say 4-5 grains red dot and use a small pistol primer the pressure would be lower, would the small PP hold up? Or is this a no no.
    Dont pee down my back and tell me its raining.

I would use it in a single shot or bolt gun. Not a AR platform.

a 9mm is a high pressure round

Boolit Grand Master

The concern is increased likelihood of a slamfire ln an AR. I don't know if the concern is real or not but the softer thinner pistol couple MIGHT posse an issue. The most sensitive of the pistol primers are Federal.
    Last edited by M-Tecs; 08-17-2023 at 02:00 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

not sure how that would happen if the primer is seated right on the case unless im miss under standing what you are talking about. This would be a bolt or single shot rifle not an AR platform.

I would not try it in a full pressure load. Im making my own primers so if i was shooting lower pressure loads in my 223 with cast boolits it would give me another option. I make a lot more small pistol primers than rifle primers. Reason being i can harvest a lot more 9mm cases than 223 cases from the rifle range for primer harvesting.

This is how simple and boring my life is doing this kind of stuff but it keeps me out of trouble so far.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by lead chucker View Post
    not sure how that would happen if the primer is seated right on the case unless im miss under standing what you are talking about. This would be a bolt or single shot rifle not an AR platform.
    In a bolt or single shot slamfires won't be a concern. Just stay under 40K psi.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

I have not tried it so i wanted to get conformation from guys that have and if was safe or not. I don't want to hurt the gun or myself. I'm too close to retirement for that.

I coat all my primers with a mix of MEK and fingernail polish. Green for LR and SR and red for LP and SP so i dont get them mixed up.

What's the conversion from PSI to CUP?

Sory guys I posted this in the wrong section. I just noticed that.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by lead chucker View Post
    Here is the THEORY on slam fires from the use of small pistol (or small rifle) primers in a Semi Automatic (or Full auto) firearm.

1. Firing pin hits primer.
    2. Pressure builds to normal pressures for the particular rifle/cartridge; recoil occurs.
    3. The thinner (weaker) pistol primer cups in the magazine back out due to recoil from fired round/s.
    4. As a round is stripped from magazine (having a backed out primer) and chambers - the bolt face contacts the pistol primer and sets off the round while still out of battery.

That's the theory anyway. I have seen slam fires on the rifle range in USMC in both M-14's and M-16's due to "BAD LOTS" of ammunition. Primers were sitting "Proud" (above the base of the case in the primer pocket. Some may ask why the Military would not just dispose of the Lots of Ammo like this - reason is that military goes through cycles of low/insufficient funding over the last 250 years where partially bad but not dangerous lots of ammo is relegated to Training Use instead of disposal.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

A slam fire can occur on a soft primer like the Federal SR. It occurred to me with a semiautomatic .556 that had a floating firing pin. I was getting occasional doubling. Thank God it didn't cook off the whole magazine in full auto mode.
    Hellgate in Orygun
    With 16+revolvers, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap&ball.
    If you do not subscribe to a newspaper you are uninformed. If you do subscribe to a newspaper you are misinformed. Mark Twain
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

Something accidentally discovered while creating low powered jack rabbit ack-ack loads (not a .223 thing)...

With a FN49 you can create slam fires with loads that are so low powered that the bolt just barely goes back far enough to grab another cartridge.