Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Load Data
WidenersInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bought my first 1000 primer brick today since 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Daekar View Post
    Where are you guys seeing them for $50/1k? My local gun store wants 4 times that price, and the few places online I have looked vary between $80 and $100 per 1k.

I'll be honest, primers are the only thing that ever limits my shooting. Powder seems to be perennially more available, at least in my area, and I've never had trouble getting lead. If it ever drops to $0.05 per primer, I'm going to drop $500 and fill an ammo can with the things. I only really need one size and type to do 95% of what I need...
    Well they arent $50, hoping that is where they drop to. I have been shootin 8-10k rds a year for about the last 8-10y. So my purchase would be quite a bit more than $500. I just bought 12K Fiocchi for $74 per delivered. No, didnt need them but who knows what the future will bring us; another botched election, world war, another covid bomb, who knows. Rather have them & not need them.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Master
    Sportsmans today saw Rem SR BR primers for the first time since COVID, at $57/1000!! Yes, I bought 1000 of them. Sportsmans here finally changed their purchase limit from 200 to 1000 per day. The last CCI SR BR primers I bought were almost double that (CCI BR primers have always been way more expensive than everyone else).

Glad to see Rem is back in the saddle again after the sell off.

One more Biden type election and maybe nothing will be available. The Ukraine war is perhaps swallowing up the primers who knows for sure? they all lie or say nothing. Someone please tell us how CCI can work 7 days a week and there be so few primers when America is not at war, hum?

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by gc45 View Post
    One more Biden type election and maybe nothing will be available. The Ukraine war is perhaps swallowing up the primers who knows for sure? they all lie or say nothing. Someone please tell us how CCI can work 7 days a week and there be so few primers when America is not at war, hum?
    America is at war. You are not paying attention.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    And it doesn't have anything to do with demand?

I was one who use to keep a reserve stash and just use 1000 or so as my playing around supply. I'd buy 1000primers once or twice a year. Since all this started I've bought more than 10k. That's 3 times as much as I used to buy. I suspect there are a bunch of others like me.

One of the reasons the mfgs are 'getting ahead' is the amateur preppers (the ones who ran out and bought reloading equipment) have stopped buying everything they could get their hands on at any price. The scalpers have also slowed dramatically. So, demand is much lower.

I don't believe the Ukrainian thing is affecting the ammunition market that much. It just is not that large a conflict.

Boolit Buddy
    Most components are going into new manufactured ammo. Figure that for the past 4 years (48 months), over a million (1,000,000) firearms a MONTH have been sold in the US. Now figure at the minimum 50 rounds of ammo go with each forearm.

That is 50 million rounds of ammo a MONTH. And that is the low side of the numbers. It is likely at least twice that number.

That is where all the component production is going.

45_Colt

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    America is at war. You are not paying attention.
    100%

Quote Originally Posted by charlie b View Post
    And it doesn't have anything to do with demand?

I was one who use to keep a reserve stash and just use 1000 or so as my playing around supply. I'd buy 1000primers once or twice a year. Since all this started I've bought more than 10k. That's 3 times as much as I used to buy. I suspect there are a bunch of others like me.

One of the reasons the mfgs are 'getting ahead' is the amateur preppers (the ones who ran out and bought reloading equipment) have stopped buying everything they could get their hands on at any price. The scalpers have also slowed dramatically. So, demand is much lower.

I don't believe the Ukrainian thing is affecting the ammunition market that much. It just is not that large a conflict.
    Well it is demand driven. Most primer production goes into ammo. There are millions of new gun owners every year. There are at least 22M ccw, it all adds up. The ammo guys make the primers & dont really care about selling them to reloaders at any discount.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 45_Colt View Post
    Most components are going into new manufactured ammo. Figure that for the past 4 years (48 months), over a million (1,000,000) firearms a MONTH have been sold in the US. Now figure at the minimum 50 rounds of ammo go with each forearm.

That is 50 million rounds of ammo a MONTH. And that is the low side of the numbers. It is likely at least twice that number.

45_Colt

Unfortunately; the analysis is not as simple as X numbers of firearms sold each month - extrapolate 50 rounds times X firearms = additional requirements for ammunition. As seen often on these pages; those who shoot will buy a (or many more) replacement firearm, add to their existing firearms, or .... These in turn are a part of those monthly sales; but do not actually result in that additional 50 rounds per firearm ammunition consumption monthly.

I am seeing a GLUT on the ammo scene. Multiple locations in the Kalispell area have all or select ammo marked down 10%, I receive several adds daily from multiple sources seeing via web sites on the Internet with "Big Sales" on Ammo. I am not being empty shelves or shelf areas (Caliber/Vendor specific) vacant for ammo sales; nor am I seeing check out counters with many ammo buyers. All this spells the peak of a GLUT market.

Now this GLUT could turn around in a matter of a few weeks with currently unforeseen events such as new Legislation, New Government "Control Policies", new massive government buying, or a threatening expansion of conflict in Ukraine or an opening of armed conflict in the China Seas and South East Asia trade routes (i.e Vietnam, Cambodia, Singapore, Thailand, Philippines, et.al.).

To apply the opening of Charles Dickens Book to the situation:

"It was the best of Times - It was the Worst of Times"
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 08-17-2023 at 04:24 PM.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by MUSTANG View Post
    Unfortunately; the analysis is not as simple as X numbers of firearms sold each month - extrapolate 50 rounds times X firearms = additional requirements for ammunition. As seen often on these pages; those who shoot will buy a (or many more) replacement firearm, add to their existing firearms, or .... These in turn are a part of those monthly sales; but do actually result in that 50 rounds per firearm ammunition consumption monthly.

I am seeing a GLUT on the ammo scene. Multiple locations in the Kalispell area have all or select ammo marked down 10%, I receive several adds daily from multiple sources seeing via web sites on the Internet with "Big Sales" on Ammo. I am not being empty shelves or shelf areas (Caliber/Vendor specific) vacant for ammo sales; nor am I seeing check out counters with many ammo buyers. All this spells the peak of a GLUT market.
    For awhile we were seeing new gun owners coming in about 1M a month. That is a lot of new ammo buyers. Providing affordable primers for reloaders isnt in the ammo manuf best interest so they dont.

Now this GLUT could turn around in a matter of a few weeks with currently unforeseen events such as new Legislation, New Government "Control Policies", new massive government buying, or a threatening expansion of conflict in Ukraine or an opening of armed conflict in the China Seas and South East Asia trade routes (i.e Vietnam, Cambodia, Singapore, Thailand, Philippines, et.al.).

To apply the opening of Charles Dickens Book to the situation:

"It was the best of Times - It was the Worst of Times"
    The "glut" isnt on ammo across the board though. Many calibers are still hard to find if not impossible & priced accordingly. Yes, 9mm is hitting saturation point & dropping in price a bit but not so for say 380, 45, 357sig, any of the magnums.

Boolit Master
    For what it's worth, the price of .45 auto ammo has come down enough that reloading it no longer makes sense.

Bought my first 1000 primer brick today since 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    For what it's worth, the price of .45 auto ammo has come down enough that reloading it no longer makes sense.
    Not yet for .45 auto, but 9mm is getting there.
    And I’m picking up 1000 Ginex LRP next week for $110 because that’s cheaper than a steak dinner…..and more entertaining….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Yep, it is clear the ammo mfgs all targeted 9mm and 5.56 with 7.62 a bit lower. The ammo shelf at the store is about 1/2 9mm and 5.56. Even .380 is in more supply than most others. .45acp is starting to come back and I've even seen some boxes of .357mag lately. Rifle cartridges are a hodge podge.

.45acp here is still pretty pricy, but, 9mm is getting lower. Not down to the $9/50 that I got before COVID, but, well under $20. I was just spoiled back when the military still used the .45

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 45_Colt View Post

45_Colt
    True and I will also add that inflation across the board is limiting discretionary spending. That lack of discretionary fun money will help manufacturers catch up with the demand.

Boolit Master
    Well I put in my first order in years for more than 1,000 small pistol primers. They are servicios aventuras primers made in Argentina that with shipping-hazmat ran me

Round Count 3000 1 $179.91
    Shipping & Handling $33.90
    Tax $13.49
    Grand Total $227.3
    The source was tactical----.com Use your imagination to fill in the four empty spaces and yes that is their name and I will not full spell it out here.

So about 7+ cents a primer. Not a good price but much better than midwayusa in past that would sell only 1,000 and then the hazmat fee.
    This is an off brand primer and I will likely use it most in full spring strength hammer fired pistols. I am waiting for american made primers to go to about $50 per 1000 and then I will put in order for what will be a life time supply for me.
    But it is mainly out of fear of what the Current POTUS may pull next that I ordered instead of using everything that I have on hand. I was nearly out of small pistol primers. It is worth my time to reload 38-.357, 44 mag, and .45 ACP & colt. I can get 9x19 training ammo for about 26 cents a round and it is not worth my time to reload, especially if I pay already 7 cents for the primer.

Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    Really? At todays component cost, casting/coating my own bullets, range brass, my 45acp are 8-10c each. I cant buy 45acp for $100/case. Yes my 9 & 40 cost that too. My brass is free, my alloy is free, i call it 1/2c for the powder coat. Its actually closer to 5c a rd loading with powder/primers i bought before 2020.

Boolit Buddy
    I picked up some Servicos Aventuras small pistol primers for 5˘ each, delivered. They are still available for 5.3˘, shipping and hazardous included. They get good reviews but I haven't loaded any yet. It's on the 'short' list to do. https://ammoseek.com/reloading/primers

Boolit Master
    Last week at an estate sale I found 2 bricks of Tula primers for $50 each and 2 sealed cans of 4064 for $20 each!

A good day it was…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12