RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingTitan ReloadingLoad Data
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWideners
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Got to handle a new Rossi 30/30 today.

Boolit Master

Got to handle a new Rossi 30/30 today.

My LGS had a new one in stock today. Looks and feels a awful lot like a Marlin 336. Lever action worked very smoothly, trigger broke at 3# or so, and I liked the new etractor, M16 type, heavy duty. Walnut stock would have been better than walnut stained beech, but looked nice, an had a decent rubber pad on it. Price was $775, a little high for my tastes, but then that dont buy much in 30/30 lever actioins nowadays. It had a 22" barrel, and a 3/4mag tube. All in all a nice little lever rifle.

Banned
    Still has an odd look to it for me, much as Henry's do and what really makes it looks crappy is the hardwood stock.

Boolit Buddy
    Rossi is paying attention. Until Marlin came out with the Guide Gun and Cowboy models , the Marlin catalog was BORING! 20" bbls, PG stocks, bbl bands, ramp front sights with wide scan hood?? Really? Boring to me.
    Rossi is out with a 2/3 magazine, forend cap model in 2 different barrel lengths. Awesome! Agreed the stock is different.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    I'm glad to see another .30-30 rifle available, and if they are anything like my late model 92 then they will be good guns. That being said, unless they can undercut Henry on price significantly I think it may be an also-ran. You can get a new Henry .30-30 for $700.00 if you shop around, one shop here had them in stock for that price.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Bub
    Saw a new Rossi 30-30 in a LGS. The owner was impressed, he is grumpy and fussy. I thought it, was well made and handled ok.

Shooting Times covers it this issue. They give both models high marks in function and accuracy.
    The stippling is a nice touch and the Brazilian hardwood looks better than laminate in my opinion.
    Also in my opinion, if they made the Trapper with a normal lever and straight grip it would be hard to resist…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I handled one about a week ago, decent looking rifle. The action worked smooth and I liked the extractor. The stock didn't really impress me but nothing really wrong with it either. I like the half mag tube and no barrel band.

Boolit Master
    Haven't seen one in person but they look good on the Rossi website. If you like a Marlin, they look very similar. Glad to see more current production leverguns to keep prices under control.

Boolit Master
    from what I understand the new Rossi's are pretty good guns. rumor has it that Steve gunz worked with them several years back to help improve the new production guns.

My late model Rossi .357 has been superb, however I wouldn't pay the same as a Henry for it. Nothing to do with the rifle itself, but Rossi/Braztech doesn't seem like the most stable company in the world and Taurus could shut the doors on them any time they like. Taurus is putting money and resources into Rossi right now but that is always subject to change.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    from what I understand the new Rossi's are pretty good guns. rumor has it that Steve gunz worked with them several years back to help improve the new production guns.
    Not just rumor. This is a fact. Steve made some recommendations based on his vast experience with Rossi 92’s and they listened. They are now producing the best 92’s they have ever made. I like ‘em!

Sam Sackett

Boolit Master
    ive got one in 45 colt it was made right before they started putting the safety in them. it is smooth as silk and slicked up just right and the brass falls into a neat pile about 3 feet from where its shot. ive got a few lever guns and this is the smoothest operating one right next to my 1907 winchester 94

Boolit Master
    I have seen their 92s in both .357 & .44 mag. They looked nice.
    U.S.A. " RIDE FOR THE BRAND OR LEAVE!"

They are nice, I'm very pleased with my .357.

Local shop had one on the shelf today and I was impressed. Very nice little carbine, Rossi seems to be stepping up their game. Still, I'm not sure how many people are going to pick it over a basic Henry for the same price or a Ruglin for a little more.

Boolit Master
    I've never shot a Rossi, just held one. If they were 500 to 600, I'd prolly have one. Around here they are running in the 700 to 750 range for 357, a little cheaper for 44mag/45colt chamberings. I got my Henry 357 for about 1000. Now my experience was with one Rossi and I didn't fire it, but the action and fit and finish on the Henry was worth the extra 250. If the Rossi was 500, I'd prolly have 2 of them in place of the Henry. As it stands, I do not regret my decision one bit.

Henry's are coming down in price here. The same shop had a Golden Boy .30-30 for $899 so I imagine the standard blue/round barrel version would be $700.00.

Boolit Master

I might have picked up a model 92 .357 but so many reports of wide cut chambers and swollen brass has kept me from giving one a try. I’ve been waiting for a buddy with an FFL to be able to pull a Miroku winchester 92 from one of the distributors. It’s been a long long wait on that.

I’ve also been tempted to buy a local Winchester 92 Take down deluxe trapper in .45 Colt but I really don’t want another caliber to load up for. The .357 to me is just right in size for downloading and using a lot less lead than the .45 colt.

If Rossi ever addresses the loose chamber issue I may pick one up. I am not inclined to have short life brass.
    Last edited by Lance Boyle; 11-02-2023 at 02:42 PM. Reason: edited for waiting on a Winchester

Quote Originally Posted by Lance Boyle View Post
    I might have picked up a model 92 .357 but so many reports of wide cut chambers and swollen brass has kept me from giving one a try. I’ve been waiting for a buddy with an FFL to be able to pull one from one of the distributors. It’s been a long long wait on that.

I’ve also been tempted to buy a local Winchester 92 Take down deluxe trapper in .45 Colt but I really don’t want another caliber to load up for. The .357 to me is just right in size for downloading and using a lot less lead than the .45 colt.

If Rossi ever addresses the loose chamber issue I may pick one up. I am not inclined to have short life brass.
    I totally agree with you there. In spite of the improvements, I still think Rossi is too much of a risk unless you know the seller will take care of you if the gun has problems. My local guy will buy it back for what you paid if the manufacturer stiffs the customer, and there are certain brands he refuses to carry because the factory can't seem to fix them right.