Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2 Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1874 Shiloh Sharps

Boolit Master
    yeah, I can relate to the terminal virus known as Sharps single shot rifles.

I am a LRE addict, got Shilohs in 45-70, 45-90 and 45-100 and six original and custom Borchardts from 45-70 thru a 15lb 50-140. It gets worse, several original High Walls; mostly 32-40's.

Life is good...

Rich

Boolit Master

[QUOTE=scattershot;5614033]
    Quote Originally Posted by firefly1957 View Post
    I ordered my Sharps Shilo in 1985 before Quigley went down under $961 & 6 week wait I ordered the 50-3 1/4" with 34" Number 1 taper barrel .
    It is a great shooting rifle I have never shot competition with it just target and hunting Michigan deer . QUOTE]

I have a friend who just ordered one, $4,000 and a two year wait. Worth it, though, from the ones I have seen.
    If he gets his rifle in two years, he'd better buy some champagne for a head start to celebrating. Not complaining, but I've had two on order (no special adornments) for two and a half years and was told they would start on them maybe by September with delivery date of anybody's best guess. I'm not sorry to say, they are well worth the wait.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Buddy
    My 1874 Shiloh was delivered in 1987, a 40-90SBN LRE with barrel shortened to 30". Just barely makes NRA weight limit for BPCRS. I've never gotten a 1" group @ 100 yards, but several times have managed 3" @ 300! Recently changed out the sights originally ordered with MVA's long range venier rear & level front globe. Shown here with the original sights.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sharps2.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	317412
    Griff
    NRA Patron
    SASS Endowment/Life
    CMSA Life

Boolit Master

Nice unit, You don't see a lot of 40-90's in competition. From what I understand, they are primarily a hunting round. What is your load if you don't mind sharing? I like mine a lot, heck of a hunting gun.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Grand Master Don McDowell's Avatar
    I campaigned a 40-90 bn for a season or 2 in competition and If I were to do it again it would be in a 16 lb or heavier rifle.
    My Shiloh #1 really likes 94 grains of Olde Eynsford 1f in cases formed from scrapline 45 2.6 cases, rp 9 1/2 primer with a thin fiber wad and a .125 thick dry lubed felt wad under a .396 money bullet cast from 16-1 (410 grs.) and wrapped in seth cole 55 w paper.
    Long range rules, the rest drool.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Michel View Post
    What is your load if you don't mind sharing?
    The load is either 85 grains of Goex Cartridge, 1-½ Swiss or 27 grains of 5744 over WLR primers. All three push the 350 RCBS 40-350CSA to about 1590fps, lubed with SPG. I use a waxed card wad or a plastic one. Have no idea which is better. But, with an endless supply of milk cartons, the card wads are my favorite! My brass is formed from 45 Basic (HDS or CSA), or Bertram headstamped .40-90. Even have a few cases from an unknown maker (no markings) I got shortly after receiving the rifle.
    Griff
    NRA Patron
    SASS Endowment/Life
    CMSA Life

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12