Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
RepackboxRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad Data
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What Are Your Worst Powders?

Boolit Master
    Only powder that I have that wasn’t impressed with is Titegroup. Still have a 8lb jug I bought 10 years ago that has less than a 1/4lb out of it. Runs too hot for my liking. As far as Unique goes none better for 45 Colt except Black.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    I currently have 27 powders on hand. None are bad but I do not chase fads either.

I have settled on four that will do everything I need doing.
    and they are???

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    10x didn't bring me bliss and it wasn't something I could use in other places I have .
    H110 . It's good in the 357 but just a PITA in the 45 Colts.

As a qualifier I'm down to almost exclusively cast bullets.
    I load 2 from the 308 family,1 from the 300 Savage family, 3 from the x57-58 clans , 1 belted mag , 2 from the 06' family,4 more or less ACP clan , 410 ,45-70 , 20 ,16 and 12ga . Plus 4 more pistols .
    22,25,26,27,28,30,32,35/38/9, 40 , 45 rifle and pistol . In total 17 cal , 5 ga , and 30 cases . It's a mouth full to say I could get by with just 4 powders but 7-8 make it much easier.
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Lil-Gun wasn't meant for revolvers or semi-auto mag dumps. It doesn't burn hotter, but it does burn longer which causes barrel heating when it's mis-used in such applications.
    I was only using it in a .22-K Hornet. I'm still happy to be rid of it...

Tony
    Hi, my name is Tony and I'm addicted to gunpowder.

AKA Geezerbiker

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    I never understood the fascination with Unique. Ho hum at best.

Blue Dot can be scary spikey. I won’t use it anymore.
    Unique one of the oldest powders and the one powders and the one powder that can be used to load more different calibers than any other powder. I’ve loaded 9x19, 9x18, 38 special, 30-06, and 12 gauge to name a few. May not be the best in all but it’ll work! As for blue dot being “spikey “ if you mean temperature sensitive yes.
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Many here think Lil'Gun is the spawn of the devil, but I've successfully used it as a reduced load in my .30-06 (I should have used a few grains more), as an initiating charge in7.62 x 39mm cartridges, and as a starting charge in my SBH revolver. The bbl. wasn't hot after each cylinder full. As for IMR 5010, who could resist a propellant @ $7.00/lb.? Although difficult to meter and slow burning, one learns to adjust quite quickly. LR mag. primers and judicious use of some sort of filler, e.g., spherical shot buffer, or better, powdered bran, raises pressure enough for a cleaner burn in the .30-06.

Both Lil'Gun and 5010 aren't the first choice of many I'm willing to wager, but sometimes they can be had at bargain prices. and that's a good thing!

Less than a caseful of slow powder + magnum primer + heavy jacketed bullet = the recipe for the dread "SEE" event. Dense filler in lieu of compressed charge pretty much mandatory. Maybe safer with cast bullet, but ????
    Last edited by uscra112; 09-10-2023 at 01:03 PM.
    Cognitive Dissident

uscra112, The reason a filler is used is to insure a cleaner burn, which for example, means using at least 48gr. 5010 + 1cc (Lee dipper) of filler in a .30-06 case.

What you have to be mindful of is the case where the primer explosion drives the bullet into the throat, where it stops before the powder burn develops enough pressure to keep it going. Bullet is then a bore obstruction. If you're shooting cast, the bullet isn't strong enough to do this, jacketed and especially solid copper bullets definitely are. Your filler will hopefully crowd the powder against the primer and make it light up quicker, but ???? Be watchful for pressure signs.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master
    Maven, I wish we were closer--I'd give you the pound of Lil' Gun I have for free!

I'm not sure why it didn't heat up your guns to the disturbing level it did mine, but I have seen similar stuff in other folks' posts. I really wonder if it didn't get reformulated along the way at some point.

Regardless, I can get equal results out of 296/H110, and better results from 300MP, both of which I have ample supplies of, so I have exactly zero use for Lil' Gun.

Thanks Alaska Mike! Truth to tell, I got mine in FL some years ago when the gun shop/indoor range was closing out their reloading stock. If you want to experience bbl. heat, try a .44mag. cylinderful with ~33gr. blackpowder! (LOL)
    Last edited by Maven; 09-11-2023 at 01:37 PM.

Boolit Master
    I agree with those who list Trail Boss. It's way too expensive. And, I have a real problem with the dangerous misinformation that a lot of newbie reloaders spread about it. Trail Boss does nothing that I can't do for much less money with Red Dot.

I also don't buy black powder substitutes. I would probably try 777 because it does seem intriguing, but I have read that it starts losing potency within a few months after you open it. That's a no-go for me. Real black powder works fine and doesn't need replacement.

Lastly, H110/W296. I have, use and like it. But among the powders I use, I could give that one up more easily than most because of its inflexibility.

I have a 1# of Lil' Gun that I bought for .45 Colt that I am not sure how to use up? I also have a 4# of Tite Group I bought before I knew there were better powders for cast boolets. I have heard from others that TG works with cast, I just like to use others? hc18flyer

Boolit Grand Master
    Powders that I have had poor results from. IMR 4320, mediocre accuracy in every thing I tried it in. Green Dot in pistol cartridges. HS-6 in standard velocity loads. AA #2--I had a lot of trouble with every can seemingly having a different burn rate, ranging from fast Bullseye to slow WW 231--I haven't bought any in 30 years.

While I can agree that most every powder has its niche, some of those spaces are awfully narrow, where as powders like IMR4895, Bullseye, Red Dot, Varget and 2400 have broader utility.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    I save my Green dot for my shotguns, works great.

Unique might be dirty but it sure is versatile. I tried Blue dot but never really liked it for some reason, could be because Unique does every thing I want to do in a handgun.

Trail Boss, has it's place but it is not here. Worked for light loads in my Mosin-Nagant but Red Dot worked better.

5744 works well in my 30-30 at 16-17 grains and a filler but leaves more unburned powder in my 45-70 than I care for, 2400 works better.

I have some IMR 4320, not much luck but works for my 8mm Mauser. I will use it up and it's gone, think it is discontinued anyway. Prefer 4064, its my go to powder. I have several powders in the 4064 range, wish they all were 4064. Most are great but no better or worse than 4064.

I have some AA 2230c, works well in my .223 but BLC2 was hands down the best .223 powder I have ever used. Don't have any and at this point will probably not buy any.

I have a pound of Lil'gun, I bought it for my 410 but have read it eats hulls for breakfast, anyone have any experience with it.

I have a good selection most work well for what they were designed for but there are several I would not buy again. In over 50 years of reloading I have tried a lot of powders, my results or opinion might differ from yours but it sure is fun.

I could get by easily with,

Green Dot
    Unique
    IMR 4198
    AA 2460
    IMR 4064

Boolit Buddy

I am shooting powders that were surplus. I bought 5744 for $3/pound and Winchester 680 ball for $3/lb quite a few years ago. IMR4759 was more expensive at $5/lb. Best 45-70 and 50-70 powder ever. Don't see surplus powder much anymore. Still have 5010 that I load for 50 BMG.
    Last edited by Rockindaddy; 09-25-2023 at 02:14 PM. Reason: spelling

Boolit Master
    Superformance

Boolit Master

I don't have any "bad" powders. I have been using the same types since the 60's and know each ones best uses and limitations.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Buddy

Hey Fayettefatts: I load 25-20 WCF with 680 ball powder( I think its 1680 now) and also use it in my 22 Hornet that shoots raggety one hole groups. You might want to try it. I am just north of Fredericktown PA. I would give you a pound to try.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockindaddy View Post
    Hey Fayettefatts: I load 25-20 WCF with 680 ball powder( I think its 1680 now) and also use it in my 22 Hornet that shoots raggety one hole groups. You might want to try it. I am just north of Fredericktown PA. I would give you a pound to try.
    Thank you and appreciate the offer. I actually got a pound of AA1680 a while ago so I'm set. It will be the next powder I test. Are you shooting cast or jacketed bullets? I hope it works well with cast.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast